Attn: computer experts…….

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I have a problem.

I’m trying to back up my computer using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. I have an external hard drive that I’ve connected via a usb cable. How do I get my computer to recognize this as a drive? In my devise manager it’s recognized under USB controllers but I can’t move it or figure out how to make it a trasfer method in the wizard.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

What operating system are you using?

-J.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Ben, is it a new drive?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Was something else connected to the USB report that you ‘safely removed’ before mounting the hard drive?

putt2winn
    Eau Claire, WI

It may be that the system has installed the drivers but gave the external harddrive a drive letter that is already being used. In English, you must go in and change the drive letter…hard drive is C.,cd rom is D…ect. What Operating system?

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

Unplug the server unit, gently place it on the driveway behind your truck, and back it up…lol Continue backing over it til your files are properly saved. Note: this action may be required to be repeated numerous times.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Unplug the server unit, gently place it on the driveway behind your truck, and back it up…lol Continue backing over it til your files are properly saved. Note: this action may be required to be repeated numerous times.

I can see it already….. Ben’s next post… how to fix a flat tire

big G

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

My operating system is XP.

whittsend

Isn’t there a backup center? Maybe under system restore. Not sure if that’s the same as what you are talking about or not, but mine automatically backs up my “stuff” weekly to my external hard drive.

Truck/tire option sounds nice too….

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

My operating system is XP.

Just go the Windows Explorer and copy the file from your drive and paste them into the flash drive. You don’t need any installed program.

When you plug in the flash drive it will be assigned a drive letter. Check the properties of the FD for available space. Don’t try to copy over files that exceed that drive space.

-J.

putt2winn
    Eau Claire, WI

Can you see the external drive in ” my computer”. If it is there. Jon is right just copy and paste. If not change the drive letter and copy paste. Wizard

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

A couple things you might try first being to restart the machine. And the second is to plug the drive into a different USB port on your laptop.

Oops one more thing to look at is to plug the drive into another computer to make sure it still works.

One thing for sure if device manager does not recognize the device you won’t be able to do anything with it.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

It’s fixed!!

After restarting the comuter and plugging it in again it finally recognized it as another drive. I have done it a dozen or more times before and never had an issue. It’s time for a new laptop anyway.

Here’s another question for the experts….. I think I have some sort of virus. I have Norton and I have to run a Quick Scan several times a day. Every time I run it, it finds a problem and fixes it. A couple hours later the computer starts running like crud again and I repeat the process. Right after the Quick Scan it runs like new. Is there a free anti virus program out there that I should try that might fix this for good? I’m about 2 steps from formatting the hard drive and starting over.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

yeah ben, anything but norton or mcafee!!

im a big fan of avast. website just get the free version. avast has the capability to set a restore point if you seem to have a recurring problem.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’ve tried the Malwarebytes’ and it has worked great for me in the past but it won’t fix this issue.

igotone

Quote:

It’s fixed!! It’s time for a new laptop anyway.

Here’s another question for the experts….. I think I have some sort of virus. I have Norton and I have to run a Quick Scan several times a day. Every time I run it, it finds a problem and fixes it. A couple hours later the computer starts running like crud again and I repeat the process. Right after the Quick Scan it runs like new. Is there a free anti virus program out there that I should try that might fix this for good?

I’m about 2 steps from formatting the hard drive and starting over.

Ben,
    Before you spend the money on a new one, format the harddrive and reinstall the operating system and start over.

Most people will not take the time to do this. It is a very good way to get rid of the junk that has gotting loaded over time.

It makes them run like new again.

Like I said most people do not know how or will not take the time to do this.

They just go buy another one

HammerHandle

You might have already done it, but defraging your hard drive can really help performance with disk access. How much ram do you have and what is the ram consumption and processor utilization when the computer is operating slowly?

rmartin
    United States

If you can find out the specific name of the virus you have, there are all kinds of removal tools out there. Some are specific and some are general. Just Google virus removal, but stick with well known brands and do not try any pop up virus removal offers. Many viruses will regenerate themselves so finding out the exact name and Googling will also get you instructions on how to get rid of it. Sometimes these are pretty complicated.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.