Ringworms in Lakes

• sirchad
    Northwest Iowa

Do any of you use ringworms for walleyes in lakes with any success? If so, what time of year and how do you fish them. I have tried a few times casting and retrieving, but never had any luck.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The lakes I do the best on have cabbage weeds. Lightest jig posssible, drop in a hole, shake, sit, lift up and over the weed and fall into the next hole. BANG – set the hook. I found when mayflies hatch…they seem to like the rootbeer or motor oil color in really shallow water

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I believe they have been used in some of our Nebraska reservoirs with some success. I plan on giving them a try myself, possibly this weekend.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

I was dragging some just because I was out of ideas Last summer on a lake, and although the size of the fish wasn’t great it put fish in the boat.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I guess I have been known to live and die by the ringworm!! I use ringworms and paddletails all year long no matter where I am fishing. I think you will find that if you are confident in what you are using you will find you can catch fish with it just about anywhere!! Give it a shot and ENJOY!!

liphooked
    Wisconsin

I have been using ringworms and paddle tails on lakes ever since i was introduced to them by Dean at Everts Resort in Red Wing.

they do seem to work best in weed areas or just off weed beds. cast them out and either slow retrieve over top of weeds or slow down the retrieve and pop the ringworm out of weeds with rod tip. I have noticed the walleyes will hit the bait quite hard (no easy bite) like a smallmouth bass.

Use the lightest precision jig head you can.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

X3…Little Bay de Noc Walleye just SMACK Ringworms!

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Have used them on spinner rigs, too, instead of live or Gulp crawlers….they catch fish.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

There are a couple things you will really notice once you start using them more. The fish will absolutely hammer them, and I think the average size of fish is a little better also.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Upper Red Lake when the walleyes go super shallow in the fall. Light jig and a ring worm worked through the reeds….DY NO MITE!

sirchad
    Northwest Iowa

I guess the consensus is…get some ringworms! Thanks for the help guys.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I catch a lot of walleye and sauger on Lake Wisconsin vertical jigging paddles and ringworms in fall, and dragging them in both late spring and fall. Right after ice out, dragging a plastic just off bottom at the head of the lake has produced some of my best days. Joel Ballweg catches LOTS of fish on Lake Wisconsin on paddles and ringworms. Look for some of his fishing reports and the pictures will speak for themselves.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

I catch a lot of walleye and sauger on Lake Wisconsin vertical jigging paddles and ringworms in fall, and dragging them in both late spring and fall. Right after ice out, dragging a plastic just off bottom at the head of the lake has produced some of my best days. Joel Ballweg catches LOTS of fish on Lake Wisconsin on paddles and ringworms. Look for some of his fishing reports and the pictures will speak for themselves.

What he said!

Ringworms = walleyes & saugers

Paddletails = more walleyes & saugers

Jigs to put them on

Great baits. I wouldn’t leave the house without them!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.