A pool 4 bonus Flathead

• John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Spent last week up at Evert’s. Had a couple guys that don’t fish much come up for a couple days to try and get them into some eyes pitching. My friend Mark needed a new rod, so he picked up a nice Avid from Dean and intended to break it in on a couple walleyes or saugers. We had been fishing for a few hours when he set the hook and said, “I think I’m snagged”. I took the rod with the intention of trying to get it out for him, pulled up to see if it was snagged, and it pulled back, HARD. I gave him back the rod and told him it was a fish, and most likely a big cat. After what turned out to be a solid 20 minute battle, we got our first look at it, and it was what I expected. A big old Flatty. After another 5 minutes of battling it back and forth under and partially around the boat, we got the head in the small walleye net, and slowed it down enough to get a grip on him and pull him in the boat. 46 inches long with a 29.5 inch girth. With only a 25# scale in the boat, we had no way to get a weight on it. After a couple pictures, it was released to wear out some other lucky angler.

All in all, it was a pretty good way to break in a new avid, and is truly a once in a lifetime trophy for a guy that doesn’t fish much. Mark fought it like a pro, keeping enough pressure on it to keep it hooked up, but not so much that it pulled the hook out. He also managed multiple times to keep it out of the anchor rope. It was a lot of fun to watch, even though it kept us from catching eyes for half an hour or more.

Good job Mark!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

TANKER!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

She’s a long one!

Your buddy took a couple hours to do what many catters take years to do!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

She’s a long one!

Your buddy took a couple hours to do what many catters take years to do!

Funny how that works sometimes isn’t it? My daughter caught a 28 inch walleye on Lake Wisconsin a couple years ago after a total of about 2 hours of walleye fishing. She still doesn’t understand how hard that is to do, but is very adept at pointing out that she has caught bigger when looking at walleye pictures.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I agree with Brian. I hate beginners luck. Seriously tough challenge to handle a fish like that with 10lb test and a medium light. PS he thought I was nuts when I told him to grab the lower lip with his hand. He is holding it like an old pro in the pictures.

larry_haugh
    MN

Nice Fish………..
    Those measurements put that fish just around 50lbs give or take a couple pounds.
    Great way to start off.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

I hope you threw it up on shore…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

That’s what happens whenever I eat walleye.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pug 1 Perch Zip

<snicker>

perch_44

Quote:

Quote:

That’s what happens whenever I eat walleye.

Why are you eating those bottom feeders?

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Nice fish and gret shots guys.

RICKBREE
    TWINCITIES

ther is always some one with a dumb comment. thanks for releasing it for the next person thats is what a real man would do

perch_44

Quote:

ther is always some one with a dumb comment. thanks for releasing it for the next person thats is what a real man would do

there is always someone gullible enough to believe everything they read online…

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

nice flatty!! Sure it put up a great fight!! Yer bud will never forget that trip!!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

As a walleye fisherman, I doubt I will ever see a catfish of that size in my boat again. It was fun to watch, and I now see why some people actually try to catch them. I have no plans to become a cat guy, but I appreciate why they fish for them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.