Great match-up……………………WCHA

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Well St. Cloud was able to shut out the hated Bucky yesterday 2-0 behind a freshman goaltender.

Sad news is Garrett Roe a top scorer went head first into the boards and may not make tonights game. Prayers to him and his family. Neck injuries are never a good thing!!

The opponent is the Canadian Sioux from Grand Forks North Dakota! They knocked off #1 seed Denver. The Sioux can be scary good when they are hot. And they are hot now, having won 11 of the last 12.

The two teams split during the regular season so it should be a great game. I really don’t know who I would bet one of JJ’s mythical $100 on. Without Roe it will be very tough on St. Cloud. With him it should be a battle.

Game should be on Fox Sports North at 7 for anybody interested.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I watched the game but missed Roe’s injury. Was it on

a hit or did he stumble into the boards?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Go Gophers! Not!!!

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

I watched the game but missed Roe’s injury. Was it on

a hit or did he stumble into the boards?

From the account in the paper he lost his stick, dove to make a play and hit a Wisconsin player causing him to go head first into the sideboards. They took him off on a stretcher but x-rays were negative so he should be OK.

Everybody involved said it was a clean play.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Go Gophers! Not!!!

No need to worry about them this week.

Oh wait………….they missed the NCAA’s again this year to.

Losing record, they need to get some things straightened out down there.

snake_plissken
    Central, MN

I’m debating whether to head to the X tonight. If I knew Roe would be playing it would make the decision a little easier. If he doesn’t play, I think we need another shutout to win.

I’ll probably just watch from home and hope that they are playing in the regional at the X next weekend. Sure would be nice if FSN would broadcast the Final 5 in HD.

As much as I enjoy college hockey, it’s amazing how quickly life is put into perspective when someone suffers a serious injury. I wish Roe a speedy and complete recovery.

GO HUSKIES!!!

seeds
    Bluff Country

The Sioux man I am says the Huskies are going to get beat with or without Roe! If you want to call them “Canadian Sioux” I would first look at all the B.C. implants the Huskies have now and in the past…
    No one is playing better in the country right now, go Sioux!

seeds
    Bluff Country

I grew up a Sioux/Huskies fan cause we were only 30 mins. to the arena. We Went to all the SCSU games even when the Huskies were D-3 with Herbbie behind the bench. So I do have a soft spot in my heart for the Huskies and will be at tonight’s game with my SCSU super fans/parents! Now that I’m in SE MN my ties are not as tight to St. Cloud…

Go Good Game!

seeds
    Bluff Country

I thought I saw a few Gophers last weekend kissing the Sioux’s

seeds
    Bluff Country

This true! They keep them at home away from the UND Hockey players… Milfs and daughters a like stray toward the “Sioux Glory”. So they keep em’ out of the arena

jldii

How many US players does N.D. have on its roster?

I personaly think its sad to see the hard earned tax dollars of the ND people being used to give Canadian kids schoolarships when so many ND kids just can’t afford go to college.

I’d like to see the NCAA put some limits on this practice.

dtmg
    Princeton

JDLII couldn’t agree with your statement more, would surely put alot of things into perspective.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

The Sioux man I am says the Huskies are going to get beat with or without Roe! If you want to call them “Canadian Sioux” I would first look at all the B.C. implants the Huskies have now and in the past…
    No one is playing better in the country right now, go Sioux!

Canadian Sioux have 12 this year.
    Huskies have 3 plus Ryan Lasch from California which must count for something.

I said in the original post either team could win. I’m pulling for St. Cloud but wouldn’t be surprised if the Sioux win.

seeds
    Bluff Country

13- US
    12- Canadian

Personally, I consider Canada as a partner to the US in all aspects. Second, I think the Sioux Hockey Nation would care more about having a good hockey program than scholarship mumbo jumbo… What else is the state of North Dakota knowin’ for in sports?
    Ever hear of student loans?? I took one out. What should the Gopher program do… not bring in all those rich city boys and bring in the kids who can’t afford to go to college? The point being if they could have better recruiting in the lower 48 you would see it. But, who wants to go live Grand Forks for 4 years over many other places including Minnesota? That’s the main reason they go after the Canadians, they will come to play in ND. Plain and simple.

seeds
    Bluff Country

Huskies this year 4-Canadians… The four years prior… 6,7,8,9 not including the one or two players from Europe in these years.

So, yes this year they are down on there out of country players. But, There program looked a lot like the Sioux when they first came into the league. It’s good to see they are getting more and more Minnesotans on the team!

seeds
    Bluff Country

Exactly, I was just sensing some ignorance toward Canadians so I thought I would throw in some anti-Gopher jive

jldii

Minnesota doesn’t cater to just “rich city” kids. They give schoolships to kids from all over the state. Truth is that many of the small town kids don’t want to come to the cities, I personaly can’t blame them for that.

Do you know how many non-Minnesota players have played for the Gophers over the last 20+ years?

Less than the number of fingers you have on 1 hand!

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Exactly, I was just sensing some ignorance toward Canadians so I thought I would throw in some anti-Gopher jive

You weren’t sensing ignorance. You were reading facts. North Dakota has been pumping Canadians through the system for longer then you likely have been alive. Is it a bad thing? Didn’t say that. But you can’t compare a freshman from the states to a freshman from Canada age wise. Through the years North Dakota has had many players in their early 20’s. You are starting to see the U.S. kids start to go to the Ann Arbor development camps and also playing in the USHL prior to going to college. That will even out the playing field with the Canadians. Again, it’s not a bad thing just a fact of life.

As far as using only Minnesota kids at the U, it got Woog fired and if Lucia doesn’t start getting better recruits it will get him fired also. I should clarify before Jack jumps down my throat. The Minnesota recruits are sometimes to good. They are playing 1 or 2 years and turning pro. Gophers have had lots of kids the last 10 years bail before they are seniors. So maybe they need more second tier players and only one or two stars at a time? I’m not sure why the Gophers are sliding but that’s one theory I have. Although I have a hard time with that because North Dakota loses as many players to the NHL as the Gophers and they have maintained lately. So I’m not sure what the answer is.

jldii

No arguements with any of that Brian.

A few years ago the Gophers made it to the NCAA’s and lost and people were giving them a lot of grief and all I could think of was that there were 5 players missing from that team that were making it big in the NHL at the time the Gophers lost.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.