best ice auger to buy

• will

Looking to relieve my rotator cuff problems. What is the best way to go with a power auger? Mainly fishing Mississippi River backwaters so don’t need anything larger than 7 or 8 inches.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

8″ 2hp Lazer, hands down. Ive used most of them, but haven’t found anything better. Check out D-Rock . They service Strikemaster, and were able to get me fixed when I broke mine (100% my fault). They drill the holes for the Brainerd and Forest lake contests. They sell the augers afterwards for $249, reg $349, with a full 1 year warrentee.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I would sure have to second Mike’s suggestion of the LazerMag 8″. great unit, razor serrated edges., and if Mike found the ice contest units for 100 bucks off, sure would be the way to go. good luck. Jack.

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

I’m a jiffy fan, through and through. A 2hp jiffy legend lightning will run you about $300 smackers, and I’ve yet to have a problem with mine(last week when it was -40, without the windchill, mine popped off on the 3rd pull, and I’m on my second tank of gas this year….after drilling about 100 holes) plus, the jiffy’s are a little cheaper to get new blades for, and they’re painted up that spiffy yellow….what more could you ask for??

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll second the Jiffy 2-hp. Same motor as Stikemaster but heavier duty gearbox. I have the stealth and it cuts very fast.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Check out my product review of the Jiffy Legend 2hp ice auger. the product review section can be found near the bottom of our forums.

I have had very good luck with my Jiffy!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

There were 2 things I didn’t like about the Jiffy. 1st with the chipper blade it really throws the ice and slush. I didn’t like having wet shins and ice in the permanant. 2nd was redrilling used holes. Just my opinion.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Don’t go with the flow and check-out the Eskimo line of augers. Check out my review of the Shark model under the product review section here.

FallingRock1
    Eastman Wi

Gotta go with kevin I’ve had an Eskimo powerhead for over 12 years and it has not failed me yet but I did put a Laser
    auger on it.(and yes I do use it starting tommorow below lock 9)

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

about half the holes I drill with my jiffy are re-opened holes…have yet to be disappointed…hasn’t stalled once..and I’m drilling into the thick ice of Lake of the woods(it was 33″ on sunday). As far as throwing ice and slush, I’ve found that if you don’t go full throttle until you’ve got a little pile of shavings built up, then put the coals to her, you won’t hardly get the floor (or your shins) wet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.