puerta vallarta fishing

• garydickmeyer
    plymouth

Anybody know of a good captain or charter service in puerta vallarta? Heading there tomorrow for a weaks vacation and i wanna fish!!!! thanks

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have always found, talk to the locals. Whatever hotel you are staying at… quiz a few bartenders… they will know who is catching fish and who’s taking you for a spendy boat ride. They will want to make you happy…. happy = better tips all week Have fun

big G

I try to make it to PV every year, and I fish each time I go. I find that charters out of PV are fairly expensive at $500-$700 for an eight hour charter, and you’re gonna spend half of that time traveling outside the bay to get to where the fish are this time of year.

Do yourself a favor and take a bus/cab/rental car out to Sayulita, which is approximately 30 miles west of PV. Fishing trips are around $250 for a 4-5 hour charter, and prime fishing grounds are very close, which eliminates alot of travel time.

garydickmeyer
    plymouth

thanks big g and justin for your reply.I will take your advise!!!!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve fished out of Puerto Vallarta several times. The best advice I can give you is to research various internet sites “just google puerta vallarta deep sea fishing” and you will find various charters. What I would look for is honest reviews from customers like you and me. You will find more negative reviews versus positive ones which can help you elimate a bad fishing experiece. Research the charter sites to see if they have daily fishing reports. If a charter posts his/her daily fishing reports, it says a lot to me that they take their business very seriously. Do your homework and call the captains and interview them. It’s pretty hard to go down to the marina and get an honest answer because they will all tell you the same thing – “We are catching big tunas, marlins, dorados…”

mjnl
    Rochester, MN

I was there the second week of Jan. and went out with Mike’s fishing charters. I wouldn’t recomend them. They have a lot of boats and captains and maybe we got the bottom of the barrel. I would tell you to go check out the boat, the captain, and the equipment before you plan to go out with them. We signed up through the motel and trusted them, my mistake! The captain could speak a little English and the mate turned out to be his 16 yr old younger brother that couldn’t speak English and had his head over the side before we even left the harbor! We caught one fish for the day. The highlight was a pod of whales we saw outside of the bay. They breached eleven times got it on video. Good luck.

whittsend

Along those same lines, can anyone recommend a nice (all-inclusive??) resort in an area that has good fishing and/or caters to a little more serious fishermen? Anwhere from Bahamas to Belize to the west coast of Mexico is a possibility, but it would be nice to keep prices relatively reasonable for a 5-7 day trip.

We have a few families thinking about taking trip next winter to Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, or Cozumel… But I wouldn’t mind trying for Bonefish or Tarpon (flyfishing or otherwise), marlin, dorado, whatever…. Locale won’t matter too much as long as its warm.

If you have any suggestions for a good vacation destination that would both satisfy the female types while giving the males a solid fishing experience, I’d appreciate it!

Mike

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yeah, you definitely do not want to listen to your “host/concierge”… the guy you meet with for a 1/2 hour after you get there…. they are “paid” to send you places…. I always get to know a bartender or 2 (kinda hard for me ) and ask them. I have never been disappointed doing this At the end of the day, when others are being dropped off, they brag about catching a cuda or a tuna…. everytime I have been, the least amount I caught was 4 fish… spent half that trip laying on the floor sick Take dramamine with you !!! Happy birthday

big G

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I have always found, talk to the locals. Whatever hotel you are staying at… quiz a few bartenders… they will know who is catching fish and who’s taking you for a spendy boat ride. They will want to make you happy…. happy = better tips all week Have fun

big G

Biggest problem I’ve found is when you go on vacation somewhere and try to “squeeze in fishing” for a 1/2 day or day. That’s about what you get. A squeezed in fishing trip with varying results.

We stopped vacationing with people who wanted to lay on the beach, get drunk, party, ect.

When we vacation, we go to go fishing. Stay at fishing resorts that their target clientele are there to fish with little else in mind. The resorts are built with fishing in mind and everything else is second to fishing. Those trips have been 100x better than vacationing somewhere and going fishing for a day.

Regarding the sea sickness. I highly recommend the Transdermal Scop. I am prone to sea sickness and this is a miracle of modern science.

Just an FYI.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Any new thoughts or experiences with specific charters out of Puerta Vallarta? Going in October and will be my first time ocean fishing. Also looks like the transerm scop is prescription only right?

HYBES
    SE MN

Fished this area several times.I would talk to people in the resort/beach/lounge and see if they have been out or know someone who has.I hung out in the marina or paridise cove area later in the afternoon and saw what came in and talked to guys walking out of the dock areas and got there opinions/names of charters etc. and what they paid and would they do it again.Prices are negotiable no doubt.If you want marlin/sailfish it might not be the best time of the year,do research.Fish for whats biting.Do you want to spend $500+ and catch maybe nothing.You dont have to leave the bay to fish.I have done 4-6 hr trips with good results. As far as AI resorts I like to stay at Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta,never been disapointed. Reasonable ,clean,good service and food. Its out from town a ways but beaches are nicer and less crowded.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Thanks that seems to be a good idea. I was alittle worried about slots getting booked up but I would rather know what im getting into ahead of time rather then picking a random charter and hoping to catch anything. We are staying at dreams resort and spa, my first time in mexico, they seemed to have good reviews online.

Thanks for the input.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.