Boat trailer ideas

• mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

Hey all,

I have been doing some brain storming the past week on this. I am in the process of coming up with a new boat trailer design and opening it up to you all for input. so my question to everyone here on IDO

If you could have anything on a boat trailer what would it be?

I want your honest opinions of what you would want in a trailer and help design something new and exciting.

Mike

shefland
    Walker

I would have a safe walkway system all the way down the trailer. No trailer comes from the factory with that, it must be a legal issue. It would be galvanized, it would be a bunk, it would have a shallow water launch system like the rangers offer or the old kdee launchers, and it would have oil bath hubs, and led lighting

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Number one thing I want in my next boat trailer is it will be galvanized, paint on trailers never lasts.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

I would have a safe walkway system all the way down the trailer. No trailer comes from the factory with that, it must be a legal issue. It would be galvanized, it would be a bunk, it would have a shallow water launch system like the rangers offer or the old kdee launchers, and it would have oil bath hubs, and led lighting

Ditto Sheflan plus:

Steps on the side to assist getting gear out of the boat when on land.

A pole to hold onto like Basscat boats.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I would like a platform 8-12″ wide with grip tape around the trailer or at least in key spots. It would help with landing and gear in/out. My next trailer will not have paint either. Rust bugs me! Auto winch would be nice. I don’t power load so I get sick of cranking the Tyee up. Possibly a retractable light connector.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Stainless Steel cage enclosures over the lights. Usefull for smashing ice while backing in.

All electrical connections soldered and sealed in some sort of melted plastic. Bumb up the wire guage too. No wimpy wiring!!

-J.

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

Fantastic suggestions guys…. this is exactly was I hopin for. Lets keep the ideas rolling in and will have some designs done up before the end of summerJune and trailers built for testing by august.

Are there any trailer weight concerns? what would you say if your boat trailer was 200-300 lbs lighter?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

1) Pre-plated and bolt holes for accesory shocks

2) LED Lights

3) Over-sized axel instead on Min.standards for weight of rig

4) Longer tounge option for adding accesory rack in front of boat (bike rack??)

5) Finished with same material as sprayed-in bed liners

6) rubber gromments as standard at any contact piont of wires and the frame

7) Non-skid plate steps common to the bow area of the boat as stated above

8) Multiple yellow led lights on the side of the trailer for better profile visiblity at night

9) A switched light by the winch for night loading

10) all of this for no increased cost –

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Are there any trailer weight concerns? what would you say if your boat trailer was 200-300 lbs lighter?

If you are looking for a lighter trailer, then you will have to go with an aluminum one, then the price really goes up. But I would go with what Randy said, a heavier axle.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

When pulling your boat on icy, wet or snow packed roads —- anti-lock brakes on the trailer.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

Randy mentioned…
    “6) rubber grommets as standard at any contact point of wires and the frame”

In addition to the grommets…
    After about a half dozen years many of our trailer lights start having intermittent problems. It usually has to do with poor grounding wires, using the frame as the ground, or the wires inside the frame rubbing off the insulation — been there done that. Finding a robust way to encase all wires inside something indestructible like thick plastic tubing may alleviate these kinds of problems.

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

The wiring I have came up with a idea that would work ro eliminate those issues that we all know to well. If i can make a great wiring system there would never be a need to ever replace the wires by having a sealed enviorment for the wires themselves.

This is a pretty ambitious project but it can truly happen.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Talking about wiring. Floe makes snowmobile trailers, and snowmobile trailers are notorious for wiring problems due to slush hanging on the wires. Floe has theirs completely enclosed. There are plugs for all wiring connections that have dielectric grease in them and then taped closed. You don’t see the colors of the wire, just the black jacket melted around it (similiar to an extension cord). I’ve wrecked the wiring harness on the tongue a few times. Drop the tounge and the new one plugs into the existing trailer. Other than burning out bulbs and wrecking the tongue harness, I have never had a problem in the 12 years I’ve owned the trailer. Too bad other manufacturers wouldn’t wire the same way.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

(way to go there Randy W.)

And…
    #11) swing away heavy duty tongue

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

you are right on with that extension cord is the best way to put it. all wires will be sealed and all connections as well to prevent any issues. I am also working on a new tail light design as well to do what I need it to do.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Quote:

Quote:

(way to go there Randy W.)

And…
    #11) swing away heavy duty tongue

#12 a brunette, and a blonde on each wheel well with thongs on

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

The only time a galvenized trailer looks good is the day it comes out of the factory. Can you powder coat galvenized metal?

The idea of loading lighs are good for night and early morning. This is great for taking any weeds off as well at night. I use flood lights on my trailer for night loading now but I am looking to go LED soon?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

The only time a galvenized trailer looks good is the day it comes out of the factory.

You could say the same about a painted trailer once they start rusting, I do not want a galvanized trailer for looks I want one so I do not have to deal with rust.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

Quote:

The only time a galvenized trailer looks good is the day it comes out of the factory.

You could say the same about a painted trailer once they start rusting, I do not want a galvanized trailer for looks I want one so I do not have to deal with rust.

Really about the only way without going to aluminum, is to take the steel trailer, blast off the paint, spray Rust Mort, and repaint it. Its not always the paint, but the metal wasn’t prepped properly to begin with. You must kill the rust with a chemical, sandblasting alone will not do the trick.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I am also working on a new tail light design as well to do what I need it to do.

Go to http://www.randpcarriages.com and click on parts and it will take you to their ebay page. You will find some oval tail light enclosure boxes. Not sure how sturdy they are, but maybe the only thing missing for icy landings are the cages over the lenses like Jon Jordan said.

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

You are certainly correct on the metal prep. the key to appearance is maintenance up keep. galvanized is a great route to go depending on the application and the look someone is going for. If someone wants a maintenance free trailer great way to go. Of course painted is another preference or something I have never seen is a chromed look. A powder coat will give osme durability for about 5 years. now a appliance grade enamel will give you great durability. I can agree with all points. Its truly personal preference which makes it individual.

So far everything posted on here by everyone has been absolutly amazing. many of the ideas will make it in the design I can assure you on that. you all have been great and this has turned out to better than expected. Again thank you to all who have posted and thanks to those who havent yet.

Mike

medic242
    Sioux Falls, SD

It might sound like a bit much but here we go. Have some kind of charging system that would be powered by the wheels, and you could plug you on board charger in and charge your batteries while you drive.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Another Idea.

Incorporate a battery powered wench into or on the bow stop. The idea would be something custom looking built in rather than added on. Also the wench and cable would be secondary to a standard strap and hand wench. The idea being it would not be used every time. Just in certain situations where some extra torque is needed like on steep or shallow ramps. Or ramps where you can only back in a short distance.

-J.

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

I like that charging system idea certainly is a great idea. but there could be potential problems of parts wearing out ceraily well worth to take a look thought none the less great idea.

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

Jon,

that certainly is a great idea given how situations change alot when coming off the water not to mention hard to putin/out areas.

Mike

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I like that charging system idea certainly is a great idea. but there could be potential problems of parts wearing out ceraily well worth to take a look thought none the less great idea.

There is a system out there that does this.

http://www.stayncharge.com/

Good luck!

-J.

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

Jon,

thanks again for that link. Good to know that alot of this is on the market just a matter of applying it in this design.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Well with all the brillant ideas that trailer should be just a tad shy of $20,000.00

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

:rotflmao well the actual cost will be discovered soon of just materials. but hey gotta admit these are some really good ideas

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Quote:

:rotflmao well the actual cost will be discovered soon of just materials. but hey gotta admit these are some really good ideas

They are all great ideas. Having said that, this whole post reminds me of the “Simpson’s” episode where Homer gets to design a “car for the average man” to save his brother’s auto manufacturing company. Homer ends up designing a car that costs $80,000 plus.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.