inflatable pfd

• Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Am looking at getting a inflatable pfd. What brands do you guys have and like. Not constricting with heavy clothes or most likely not use. They seem to range in price quite a bit. not looking to go broke on one but if it saves a life worth about anything.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got Float Techs. No complaints here.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I have a pair similar to these Bass Pro Inflatable Vests.

The ones in the link above are a little newer version of mine. I really like the neprene collar. They are comfortable and I can wear them all day without them feeling anoying.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t pay attention to the colors of this one.

Float-Tech Demo<<

The most comfortable and versatile inflatable on the market today.

Jacket, Vest and Bladder 3 in 1

Cheap? Nope.

I’m on my 3rd year of using them with clients…and I do make sure they aren’t driving home with them.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

I’ve got Float Techs. No complaints here.

Same here, I’d like to intentionally test one sometime and see exactly how they operate

Dennis53

I use a Yakima 35 lb. comfortable to wear all day

jhalfen

Ever since I started wearing my Mustang Survival auto inflate with HIT, I keep it on just about every minute of every trip. And that’s the idea, right?

Not affiliated with them at all….just think they’re the best and worth every $0.01.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a Cabelas non-self inflating. Pros & cons: I wish now I had spent the the little extra for the auto inflating. I have caught the cord a couple of times on things and realized it before inflating. In a number of states, an inflateable is only legal when worn. If you take it off, it may not be considered a PFD – Know your laws! Comfortable is a must. The first one I bought was too narrow around the kneck. Was fine over a T-shirt, but over a jacket my kneck would get very sore and fatigued. This Cabelas one I got has a larger kneck diameter and is great for colder seasons when you wear multiple layers. I get a little crazy and fish sometimes for 15, 20, or more hours at a time. Comfort if king when you wear one that long. The (2) Cabelas brand ones I have ran about $100.00 each As you can see in the pics, having a hooded sweatshirt or more on creates more bulk. If its uncomfortable, you’ll be inclined not to wear it and that defeats the purpose.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I love my Mustang Survival also

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I’d like to intentionally test one sometime and see exactly how they operate

I think they recommend getting new arming kits every two years. You can bet I’ll be testing mine out with the old arming kits

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

They work great!

Jump in and in less than 5 seconds you are floating.

Good way to check for leaks too…which should be done at the very least once per year.

As a guide, we have to have the class I PFD’s in our boats. NO one will wear the bulky orange things.

What’s the difference between a class I and a float tech?

Less than 2 pounds of buoyancy.
    By law we have to wear a Float Tech
    AND
    a class I is made to turn an unconsciouses person on their back.

My question to the Coast Guard, US Boats or anyone for that matter…

What will save your life when knocked out? The class V Float Tech that you HAVE to wear or the Class I that is in a compartment or lying on the floor of your boat at best?

No one will give me an answer.

I can’t speak for the Mustangs or Stearns Class V’s but the Float Techs have turned my butt over when I’ve purposely laid in the water face down.

So if anyone can explain this to me, I would be forever .

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS Ralf the maintainance instructions are built into the Float Tech’s. I think they are on the inside, left of the badder.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.