I knew Obama wanted my guns;

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

But who knew he wanted my fishing pole to.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/news/story?id=4975762
    The Obama administration will accept no more public input for a federal strategy that could prohibit U.S. citizens from fishing the nation’s oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters.

This announcement comes at the time when the situation supposedly still is “fluid” and the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force still hasn’t issued its final report on zoning uses of these waters.

That’s a disappointment, but not really a surprise for fishing industry insiders who have negotiated for months with officials at the Council on Environmental Quality and bureaucrats on the task force. These angling advocates have come to suspect that public input into the process was a charade from the beginning.
    Anglering for access
    Click here for archive
    “When the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) completed their successful campaign to convince the Ontario government to end one of the best scientifically managed big game hunts in North America (spring bear), the results of their agenda had severe economic impacts on small family businesses and the tourism economy of communities across northern and central Ontario,” said Phil Morlock, director of environmental affairs for Shimano.

“Now we see NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) and the administration planning the future of recreational fishing access in America based on a similar agenda of these same groups and other Big Green anti-use organizations, through an Executive Order by the President. The current U.S. direction with fishing is a direct parallel to what happened in Canada with hunting: The negative economic impacts on hard working American families and small businesses are being ignored.

“In spite of what we hear daily in the press about the President’s concern for jobs and the economy and contrary to what he stated in the June order creating this process, we have seen no evidence from NOAA or the task force that recreational fishing and related jobs are receiving any priority.”

Consequently, unless anglers speak up and convince their Congressional representatives to stop this bureaucratic freight train, it appears that the task force will issue a final report for “marine spatial planning” by late March, with President Barack Obama then issuing an Executive Order to implement its recommendations — whatever they may be.

Led by NOAA’s Jane Lubchenco, the task force has shown no overt dislike of recreational angling, but its indifference to the economic, social and biological value of the sport has been deafening.

Additionally, Lubchenco and others in the administration have close ties to environmental groups who would like nothing better than to ban recreational angling. And evidence suggests that these organizations have been the engine behind the task force since before Obama issued a memo creating it last June.

Anglering for access united we fish rally capitol washington fishing
    AP/Luis M. AlvarezOne sign at the rally of recreational and commercial fishermen summed up the feelings.
    As ESPN previously reported, WWF, Greenpeace, Defenders of Wildlife, Pew Environment Group and others produced a document entitled “Transition Green” shortly after Obama was elected in 2008. What has happened since suggests that the task force has been in lockstep with that position paper.

Then in late summer, just after he created the task force, these groups produced “Recommendations for the Adoption and Implementation of an Oceans, Coasts, and Great Lakes National Policy.” This document makes repeated references to “overfishing,” but doesn’t once reference recreational angling, its importance, and its benefits, both to participants and the resource.

Additionally, some of these same organizations have revealed their anti-fishing bias by playing fast and loose with “facts,” in attempts to ban tackle containing lead in the United States and Canada.

That same tunnel vision, in which recreational angling and commercial fishing are indiscriminately lumped together as harmful to the resource, has persisted with the task force, despite protests by the angling industry.

As more evidence of collusion, the green groups began clamoring for an Executive Order to implement the task force’s recommendations even before the public comment period ended in February. Fishing advocates had no idea that this was coming.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, the New York Times reported on Feb. 12 that “President Obama and his team are preparing an array of actions using his executive power to advance energy, environmental, fiscal and other domestic policy priorities.”

Morlock fears that “what we’re seeing coming at us is an attempted dismantling of the science-based fish and wildlife model that has served us so well. There’s no basis in science for the agendas of these groups who are trying to push the public out of being able to fish and recreate.

“Conflicts (user) are overstated and problems are manufactured. It’s all just an excuse to put us off the water.”

In the wake of the task force’s framework document, the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation (CSF) and its partners in the U.S. Recreational Fishing & Boating Coalition against voiced their concerns to the administration.

“Some of the potential policy implications of this interim framework have the potential to be a real threat to recreational anglers who not only contribute billions of dollars to the economy and millions of dollars in tax revenues to support fisheries conservation, but who are also the backbone of the American fish and wildlife conservation ethic,” said CSF President Jeff Crane.

Morlock, a member of the CSF board, added, “There are over one million jobs in America supported coast to coast by recreational fishing. The task force has not included any accountability requirements in their reports for evaluating or mitigating how the new policies they are drafting will impact the fishing industry or related economies.

“Given that the scope of this process appears to include a new set of policies for all coastal and inland waters of the United States, the omission of economic considerations is inexcusable.”

This is not the only access issue threatening the public’s right to fish, but it definitely is the most serious, according to Chris Horton, national conservation director for BASS.

“With what’s being created, the same principles could apply inland as apply to the oceans,” he said. “Under the guise of ‘marine spatial planning’ entire watersheds could be shut down, even 2,000 miles up a river drainage from the ocean.

“Every angler needs to be aware because if it’s not happening in your backyard today or tomorrow, it will be eventually.

“We have one of the largest voting blocks in the country and we need to use it. We must not sit idly by.”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have a way to shut these people up for good. We push for an executive order on making it illegal for the following activities:

– Purchasing Birkenstock
    – The closing of all trails, hiking, walking and any trail/path use by 2 legs in the act of walking.
    – Immediate halt to singing cumbia around a campfire, even if the campfire was not accessed by using the aforementioned trails.
    – Closing all national parks to humans
    – Granola ban
    – Require all citizens to bath regularly
    – Make it illegal to sell soy
    – Require all food be processed and protected by insecticides, herbicides and steroids
    – Require 1 portion of meat daily
    – A tear/crying tax
    – A tree hugging tax
    – Anyone breaking these laws should be required to attend a common sense and respect for other people’s lives reeducation camp.

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Quote:

Additionally, some of these same organizations have revealed their anti-fishing bias by playing fast and loose with “facts,” in attempts to ban tackle containing lead in the United States and Canada.

That same tunnel vision, in which recreational angling and commercial fishing are indiscriminately lumped together as harmful to the resource, has persisted with the task force, despite protests by the angling industry.

Just a comment… I was just reading the article prior to seeing this post. Can’t help but think it is only a matter of time before some type of lead ban is in place. For those of us that make our own jigs casually AND small business owners that do this semi-professionally I do not think there are many other options for material to use?? Tungsten has become a popular material as of late but I can’t exactly heat this to 4000 degrees in my garage to pour it. I did notice lead free split-shots manufactured by Water Gremlin but not sure what material they are using.

rogerr
    Maplewood, MN

Quote:

I did notice lead free split-shots manufactured by Water Gremlin but not sure what material they are using.

The material in Water Gremlin split shot is tin. The stuff has been on the market for years.

Roger

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Quote:

I have a way to shut these people up for good. We push for an executive order on making it illegal for the following activities:

– Purchasing Birkenstock
    – The closing of all trails, hiking, walking and any trail/path use by 2 legs in the act of walking.
    – Immediate halt to singing cumbia around a campfire, even if the campfire was not accessed by using the aforementioned trails.
    – Granola ban
    – Require all food be processed and protected by insecticides, herbicides and steroids
    – A tear/crying tax
    – A tree hugging tax
    – Anyone breaking these laws should be required to attend a common sense and respect for other people’s lives reeducation camp.

Also, they need their K9 teeth pulled since they act like cattle. Wait a minute, vegetarians contribute more to green house gas than us carnivores, so plan them completely.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Now that’s funny!!! But the truth…

Quote:

– Purchasing Birkenstock
    – Granola ban
    – A tear/crying tax
    – A tree hugging tax

Trouble-Hook

Do you REALLY think the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is going to allow the federal government to round up our guns? Geez, that wouldn’t allow them very much to do, would it? As for gun control legislation, I monitor that topic on National Write Your Congressman web site and the National Federation of Independent Businesses and I don’t see anyting to worry me. I own a bunch of guns and I’m not going to give them up. We aleady have enough misinformation floating around the internet. Do a little research, stop the fear mongering, push for term-limits on all elected offices, stop sending money to the Washington lobbies, i.e., NRA, etc. They are all individual, parochial interests, just wanting to retain their jobs, just like the politicians. And wouldn’t it be nice to have JUST ONE website where we could go for pleasure, read about fishing, without someone having to throw politics in. And for that matter, quit with the Vikings, the Packers, and the whole stale Brett Favre controversy. Post it somewhere else. Fishing is my diversion from reality. If I want to get depressed, I can find a million other websites that offer doom and gloom.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Or YOU could just choose to not read a thread labeled ‘I knew Obama wanted my guns’ if it’s going to get your undies in a bundle.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Or YOU could just choose to not read a thread labeled ‘I knew Obama wanted my guns’ if it’s going to get your undies in a bundle.

Nah it’s easier for everyone else to change.

Not to mention this thread isn’t even about guns it’s about YOUR fishing pole!

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

other than banning lead (which has been being talked about for over 20 years) this article doesn’t hold a lot of water do some simple research and you will find it overblown. There are some real concerns about the management of the Oceans and the Great lakes. Many peoples lives and the way they make their living have been changed over the years by protecting and managing for the purpose of recreational fishing. Saying that Obama is trying to take your fishing pole away is is just flat out nonsense.

perchhead

Amen BZZSAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

Do you REALLY think the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is going to allow the federal government to round up our guns? Geez, that wouldn’t allow them very much to do, would it? As for gun control legislation, I monitor that topic on National Write Your Congressman web site and the National Federation of Independent Businesses and I don’t see anyting to worry me. I own a bunch of guns and I’m not going to give them up. We aleady have enough misinformation floating around the internet. Do a little research, stop the fear mongering, push for term-limits on all elected offices, stop sending money to the Washington lobbies, i.e., NRA, etc. They are all individual, parochial interests, just wanting to retain their jobs, just like the politicians. And wouldn’t it be nice to have JUST ONE website where we could go for pleasure, read about fishing, without someone having to throw politics in. And for that matter, quit with the Vikings, the Packers, and the whole stale Brett Favre controversy. Post it somewhere else. Fishing is my diversion from reality. If I want to get depressed, I can find a million other websites that offer doom and gloom.

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

I don’t necessarily look for political discussions on this website. However, a fishing website kind of makes sense to me as an appropriate place to discuss politics/policies related to fishing.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

– Purchasing Birkenstock
    – Granola ban
    – A tear/crying tax
    – A tree hugging tax

Pug….absolutely hilarious!

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

“Since Obama organized the task force in June, angling advocates have feared that preservationists and environmental organizations, along with their allies in the Obama administration, will use this opportunity to orchestrate an aggressive campaign to close public waters to recreational angling. With the Great Lakes included in the directive, they could provide an opening for federal management — and closures to recreational fishing — on inland lakes and rivers as well.”

Quoted from one of the ESPN articles

Rumor and nonsense. What they are failing to tell you is the real issue. Why do they want these areas protected? What species are they protecting? What specific areas would be regulated? Is it worth the nagative impact that it may have on buisness?

All I see in these articles is fear mongering, if they do this it could lead to this, which will lead to no more fishing. Authors of these articles can talk around the issue all they want, but being an opponent of a fine organization trying to protect our waters they should be informing you of all the specifics otherwise its just bad press.

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Quote:

And wouldn’t it be nice to have JUST ONE website where we could go for pleasure, read about fishing, without someone having to throw politics in. And for that matter, quit with the Vikings, the Packers, and the whole stale Brett Favre controversy. Post it somewhere else. Fishing is my diversion from reality. If I want to get depressed, I can find a million other websites that offer doom and gloom.

Welcome to the site. There are thousands of hours of enjoyable reading on this site. Don’t let 1 post get you down.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Here are a couple updates on this, the first one is from the ESPN editor.
    Here
    The second one is from Snopes.
    Here

Ed

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.