What’s the difference between 67 and 75?

• John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

In my truck, 4 mpg. I go from getting 17 on the highway to 21 if I set my cruise at 67 instead of 75. I go back and forth between Madison and Chicago at least once a week and decided to figure out what kind of difference I would see. At 75, I used 15.3 gallons of fuel at 16.9 mpg, and the next trip going 67, I used 12.3 gallons at an even 21 mpg.

To extrapolate that further, in the last 3 months, I’ve made 30 trips, always setting the cruise at 75. I’ve used roughly 458.9 gallons of fuel. Had I been setting the cruise at 67, I would have only used 371.5 gallons. That comes out to me spending roughly an additional $225 on fuel over the last few months.

What have I learned? I can buy a lot more fishing tackle if I slow down a little bit. I guess I’ll just drive in the right lane now and ratchet back my speed. Just thought I would share my extremely scientific experiment.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

It’s been a long winter hasn’t it John!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Due to all the new electonic gadgets and new high out put vehicles it has bcome such a high paced society we live in now.

It is amazing what we learn by slowing down in life isnt it ? and yes that is alot of tackle.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Yes it has.

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

Here I thought this was going to be one of those posts that say the walleyes bite better at 67 degrees instead of 75. But this post is interesting also. It shows how a lead foot can work against you in several ways. But unfortunately I will have the cruise set at about 90 heading down to pool 4 for the first time this year tomorrow morning. If you see me coming get out of the way cuz like the previous guy said it has been a long cold winter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Joe you might want to slow your motor a bit. Not only do we have a number of the states finest as members of this site, but since it’s the first time out with your boat, you might want to check your wheel bearings.

Now thinking 90 mph might be ok on the way to Everts, but knowing you as well as I do, you might want to set that cruise control to 55 too.

jldii

Some vehicles have a VCM (variable cylinder managment) system that can make a big diffenece also. For instance, my ’08 Dodge Ram has it and the difference in milage between 64, and 65 MPH is almost 3MPG! At 64 the system only uses as many cylinders as needed to maintain that speed, at 65 the system disengages, and it runs on all 8 full time.

64MPH is about 18.9 MPG
    65MPH is about 15.4 MPG
    64MPH pulling my boat………12.2MPG

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Well, you might be better off driving faster and working an extra hour with your saved time. Time is money.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Amen to that Joe!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

and how much time is saved from going 75 -vs- 67?? interesting to see if you drive all that much faster for a whole 10 minutes of getting there faster or whatever??

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I suck terribly at math, but I think its a 27 minute difference round trip.

and I’d be happier than a pig in poo if I saw 17 MPG in my Titan.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Another way to look at it was that could’ve saved about .40/day. I can think of about 20 better ways to save .40/day.

jldii

Where did you come up with the .40/day figure?

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Slowing down helps I know but I find I can get better milage with out the cruise control on, the more hilly the road the more I save by manually running the throttle.

On the other hand, just setting the cruise and taking a short nap is much more enjoyable…

Al

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

18 or 5 mpg, I’m taking the boat out Sunday for the first time this year.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Where did you come up with the .40/day figure?

I have no idea. I think someone hacked into my account and is making random posts. They could’ve at least used a calculator instead of a slide rule

What I meant to say was a savings of $3.75 per leg of each trip. Now you have to ask yourself if saving $4 is worth your extra time? There is no right or wrong answer.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You might get another mile or two per gallon if you lost some weight.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

wow lol

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

There’s a neat study out that shows how wind resistance increases exponentially as you increase your speed over 65mph. It’s all science my dear Watson. Also, you may be seing an increase in fuel mileage because you are drafting more people in the slow lane which also allows you to go at a certain speed without using as much motor. Very interesting. I guess I’ll go a little lighter on my gas peddal as well!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

I’m certainly guaranteed a few more MPG if I don’t ever haul you fishing again too.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Sorry dude, I couldn’t resist. Spring fever and all. Mendota is just a big dude. We could all lose a few.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

75 – 67 = 8

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

75 – 67 = 8

And it only took 22 posts for that one to come out. I’m shocked.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Hey, here’s an idea for fuel savings . drop your speed to 45 mph get out in the left lane,put on a wig, and tether a leash to the car and take it for a walk…………

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.