Boiling Plastics…….

• dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

……….well, not exactly! A couple of years ago someone had made a post in reference to putting plastics with bent over/crooked tails in hot water to straighten them out. With the winter blues setting in, I gave it a go this week. Worked like a charm ! I have a ton of plastic baits, I put them in sandwich baggies and store them in big Rubbermaid containers. The only down fall to having so many plastics in one container is they get bent out of shape from time to time, in return, some of the tails get so bent out of shape they won’t function as I would like them to .

This is what I found in my research. Put a good size sauce pan on the stove top, using a cooking thermometer get the water temps right around the 150 to 170 degree mark. Put the out of shape plastics in and just wait a bit, maybe a minute or so and start to scoop them out on to a paper towel to dry. Most of the tails will be good as new . Some may take longer than others. Out of the hundreds of plastics put in the hot water I only had about 4 baits that were so bad they wouldn’t go back to their original form.

This is an idea that takes a little time but can save a guy a lot of money down the road on plastic.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks for the tip Dustin!
    Must be getting to be a long winter eh?

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

2 long, 2 cold, 2 boring. Don’t think I could stand to spit shine another piece of fishing equipment . Good thing there has been snow to shovel every other day .

Come on high water March!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Interisting. Now I’m just wondering if the wife catchs me doing this if she wont make me eat them also. She is still a little worked up over the bait in the fridge thing.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Dustin,

Great tip. BTW, I’ve got a couple boxes full of cranks that need sharpening. That would keep you busy for a day or two. Oh wait, I heard what happens to boxes of cranks after you sharpen them. Seriously let me know if you want something to do??

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

If I give you my addrees will you send them off? All though, I won’t get them back to you until all of them are razor sharp

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey dustin,

does this also help with getting all fo the stickey things off of them and cleaning them back up to almost original colors?? I am looking at a whole tray of plastics and just shake my head because they are all dirty and bent. i toss alot of them out into the garbage, now i will make myself a little bag and save them.

shane

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Don’t know if it will get them cleaned up like you want but it will straighten them out.

Jira

I wonder if they’de go well with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Who said Dustin can’t cook

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

They taste great served on rice.

Gator Hunter

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I think that i will have to get my plastics out and let my wife see me boiling them at the same time of me cooking dinner. I think that she would lose her appetite, or i would be covered in 3rd degree burns. I will have to do that one day when she is gone to work and I am sitting here at home doing nothing.

shane

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Shane,
    I know you have some awesome recipes for pheasants, but I’m not sure you’ll be able to pull it off with plastics!!
    Steve

rmartin
    United States

Try it with Power bait. The flavor and aroma is awesome.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.