Kicker motor question

• John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Have a few questions for the experts. My buddy that lives out in Oregon is getting a new drift boat, and wants to put a motor on it. It will take up to a 10 HP. It has to be a manual start because he won’t be carrying a battery. I recommended a yamaha T-8 because I really like mine, as does anyone that has one. Come to find out, that motor doesn’t appear to come as a manual start. Yamaha makes an F-8, which seems to be pretty much the same except for a small difference in the gear ratio. I don’t understand gear ratios worth a darn, so I really don’t know what difference it makes in the motor.

Anyone have any experience with the F series of motors? Should he be looking at a merc instead?

Anything anyone can provide would be appreciated. He will be running the boat in coastal streams that have a pretty swift current.

Thanks.
    John

Fborg
    Altoona, WI

Yama – makes a 9.9 manuel start F

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I don`t think he would want to go with the T series Yamys. They are geared for low end tourqe and slower speed then a regular 9 or 9.9. In heavy current he may not get the speed he wants.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.