Virus Alert

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

There’s a virus going around (maybe it’s a worm). It tends to say “hi” or “hello” in the subject heading. It’s spreading by using email address books, so it might very well look like it’s coming from a person you know, maybe even from someone on this site.

So, a couple of things…

If you get an email from IDA it’s most likely not going to say “hi” or “hello” in the subject. If it does just delete it. Don’t open it. Same if you get an email from me/Jolly Ann Marine. I don’t send emails that say “hi” in the subject. Delete it.

If you try to contact us at Jolly Ann Marine and the email subject says “hi” or “hello” or is not specific, it will be deleted an not read.

With a new virus/worm popping up every week, I would encourage everyone to be specific in your subject headings to make it a little easier on everyone.

Thanks,

Wade

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Ha! Koonce and I were on the phone chatting about this very bug when you posted this! Basically the conversation went something like this… “YOu didn’t open or install that, did you?

He didn’t. I didn’t. Our virus protection kicked in an caught it but it was sort of an unknown variation of some kind as “Norton could not identify it. I did quarantine it and sent it off to the labs at Norton for examination. In the time it took for Koonce’s virus protection to kick in it (the worm) started sending out e-mails with the file (it’s labeled as a screen saver) attached.

If anyone gets a mail with the message:

“The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a binary attachment.” With the document/ file in a .zip file, delete it. It’s bogus.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

These dumb asses must not fish…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the worning. Just checked my mail and had something from you and anouther that said “Hello”. Was there something in the mail from you or might this be part of the virus?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

that is the virus…delete it !!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Nope.. not from us. Kill it. Someone out there has an infected machine and has the in-depthangling.com e-mail address in their address book. I know it’s not from Koonce or I as the IDA adresses are aliases and can’t “send” IDA e-mail… only receive. Any mail coming from me would be under pool4 at earthlink.net

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That is just what it said. Thanks again for the quick heads up.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I just got another one sent to me…

Whacked it !!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Expect a number of them. Could go on for days… sometimes even weeks, as address books on unprotected terminals are infected and the virus circulated. IT doesn’t seem to be a particularly nasty little buggie… just annoying a sheck when you get dozens of them at a sitting.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I’d like to send these jokers swimmin’ with the fishes!
    What ever happed to spray-painting walls or stealing cars for a joy ride? Don’t these punks have nothing better to do? Man, it’s annoying!

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I was a little quick on the delete button…..but I do remember that it was sent to my IDA address.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My aunt, didn’t know much about computers when she bought one about a year ago. The computer came with virus software…but she didn’t activate it.
    Bottom line was that an email was sent out to everyone in there address book that was very imbarressing to them….from [email protected]…which would have been me…but I don’t have a yahoo account.
    Family feelings are still hurt.

Friends don’t let friends operate computers without protection!

If you are running Outlook, use the “rules” to look for emails with “hi” or ‘hello” as the subject line. They will be sent to your trash for you. You still will have to empty your trash, but you don’t run the risk of opening the email.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If anyone is looking for some real decent FREE virus protection, check this out! Go to: http://www.grisoft.com and download thier “AVG free edition”. I have been running this software for over 6 months and it has done a great job so far.

This company does not snoop your drives or bombard you with advertising. Just good, free virus protection. Go figure.

Note – I do not have any affiation with this company.

Jon J.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I just got the evil Binary virus e-mail…..or what ever you guys were talking about. ya know what i did to it

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

My Norton just caught an attach while I was on this site.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Kevin,

I have never heard of a virus infecting a PC via browsing a website. It’s likely that you had an e-mail arrive while browsing and Norton took care of it while you were viewing this site.

Everyone visiting this site should be assured that there is no way to pick up a virus by clicking on a post here.

I guarantee it.

J.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m certain that’s what was meant… the site itself is “virus-free” and everyone can browse with confidence. I do appreciate you pointing that out Jon as I’m sure some out there might wonder about such things from time to time.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I just deleted 6 more of them

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I’m certain that’s what was meant… the site itself is “virus-free”

Quote:

My Norton just caught an attach while I was on this site.

Yes, I know what ya mean. I would not want to deal with anything attached to my Norton either.

J.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

LOL Jon, you kill me.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Quote:

Hmmm. Maybe sponsor a “Take a Hacker Fishing” day? We all like to try out new anchors every now-and-then….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

CNN has a story on this new virus. Here’s the link:

My Doom

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.