Line shelf life

• rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Time to respool. I have a variety of line types and weights to do. How long do you typically “trust” 6-8 lb mono? How ’bout 17 lb mono? Does fireline have a life expectancy? I store all my bulk spools in the basement…no light.

champman
    la crosse

moisture is a concern with mono. If its cloudy, its retaining moisture, thus I would discard it. Most basements are high in moisture.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I have found high heat, like what you would find under a dark boat cover or worst of all, in a car or truck, is the hardest on light mono from my experiences. I generally don’t have too much line laying around for more than 6 – 9 month given the rate I use it up running guide trips but I guess I wouldn’t automatically balk at using 1 year old line. I’d likely spool up one reel and try it out before going whole hog and respooling all my reels. My guess is you’ll see handling problems (retaining lots of memory, coils, etc.) before you’d see any issues with weak line.

Maybe the line manufacturers need to take a cue from the beer guys and give us “freshness dating” on spools?

Don Hanson

My mono line I replace at least three times a year. With fireline or other super lines I usually use a full year. I replace the super lines when they become nicked or frayed throughout the spool. although the strength remains the performance is hindered, especially in colder temps.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

This is a point were I differ from a lot folks. I feel that modern line will last several years in storage. The companies want you to change line often to sell product. On the same hand to use line that came over with Leif Erickson and the Vikings is not a good idea.

I only respool when I need to add more line due to breakoffs from snags but mostly because of rats nests and severe line twist. It does result in my changing some reels a few times a year, some after every guide trip. I have about 30 rods I use throughout the year. I don’t worry about the line decaying due to heat, moisture, sun or whatever during normal fishing conditions but high heat and intense sunlightlike in a car window or in a pick-up topper may be pushing something that doesn’t need to be pushed. Some reels get changed more often than others, some I leave until the following spring… the only time I purposely change line to change line.

I don’t think it is good idea to keep the same line for years and years. Line is very inexpensive when compared to a lot of things. Buy smaller spools to be safe.

It is more important to check the last foot or so of line for abrasion throughout the day.

After writing this and seeing it in print my first statement is only a matter of slight differnce and does not endorse using very old line but you can get away with stuff 2 to 3 years old if freshly spooled on your reel.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

For me, I consider mono to be afordable enough to re-spool often. The more (bigger spools) you buy, the cheaper it gets.

For super lines like Fireline, Power Pro, Spiderwire, I have not noticed any adverse affects due to heat, sunlight or age. The stuff lasts forever.

Jon J.

rmartin
    United States

Put some type of backing on your reel so you only put on 100 yards or so of fresh line. After retying new lures and removing frayed line, you will change line often enough, unless you only fish a couple of times a year. As for sun and heat, I think it depends on the brand. I will not buy Trilene XL anymore as it frays easily and seems ocerly affected by heat/sun. Maybe it is better recently, but why take a chance. I once had a spool of XT/solar which seemed to perform better. I keep my bulk line in the refrigerator. Maybe it is overkill, but I have the room.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Thanks for all the feedback. I kinda like the idea of keeping it in the fridg! I think it is time for some new bulk spools…I have a spool of 17 lb Trilene XL that must be 10+ years old. I haven’t had a problem yet, but for a few bucks I’ll feel better when that next big northern is making a run for the sticks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.