Stuck on 35 in Iowa

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

Roads shut down, 30 car pile up, 1 dead and 10 miles of trucks and cars 4 wide and some out of gas. They say 20 hours, over night for sure. so I am on my phone wrighting to you. One trucker on my scaner says he is huling Mc Donalds one other wants to trade somkes for food. I have 1/2 bottle of water and a hand full of sun chips from lunch. White out, snow and its cold out with the winds.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Hope you make it out! Do you have a full tank of gas? Can you post pictures?

Best of Luck,
    FDR

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

That sucks. I didn’t know they would/could shut it down with ppl trapped between exits. Figured they would atleast move all crashed to one side and get u out of trouble. Cars out of fuel, no good. Hope they can jump in with others. Best luck to all. -mark

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Good luck. I’ve seen that highway shut down many times. Unfortunately it’s not that uncommon.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Take care! I just got off of Insterstate 380 out of Cedar Rapids and it was TERRIBLE!!! White out, 40 mph gusts of wind. Glad to be back at home. Hope for the best!!

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Latest weather observations:

Des Moines West wind 35, gust 41 snow temp 20
    Mason City N West wind 38, gust 43 snow temp 13

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, hope you have a full tank of gas so you can stay warm, hang in there.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

My family and I made it to a hotel room in Webster City after traveling back from a funeral in St. Louis. Hands down the last 30 miles was the worst winter driving I have ever experienced in my 45 years. Thank God for white lines on the road or I would not have known which way was up.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

And the worst part is…you’re in IOWA!!

But seriously, I hope it turns out well and you’re able to get out of that situation. Sittin in a car in the cold while the wind is rocking it back and forth is no picnic for anyone. Best of luck to you and be safe.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Wish everyone well…thanks to my dad we decided to hang out at cables and rent a hotel in owwatona.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Bigcrappie, where on 35 are you? I need to make it home tomorrow and may have to avoid 35 if there are that many vehicles to get cleared out.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

North of Hampton south of Clear Lake, We just got off after driving north on the south bond lane of 35, they put all the cars in Sheffield, IA at the curch because all the roads are closed. The truckers stayed on the road. What a mess.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I just got this from the Iowa Dept. of Trans. road conditions report. There is a lot of problems…

January 25, 2010
    Interstate 80 Westbound Closed Near Kellogg.
    8:00 PM – I-80 westbound is closed at mile marker 175 two miles east of Kellogg due to a jackknifed semi. Use caution and expect some delays.
    Category: Incident Reports

Interstate 35 Northbound Open in Warren County
    7:39 PM – The northbound lanes of Interstate 35 are now open in Warren County, 6 miles north of the IA 92 interchange.

U.S. 18 Closed From Sanborn to Sheldon.
    7:30 PM – US 18 is closed in both directions from Sanborn to Sheldon due to multi vehicle incident. Follow detour, use caution and expect some delays.

Interstate 80 Westbound Closed Near Colfax.
    7:16 PM – I-80 westbound closed near Colfax due to jackknifed semi. Use caution and expect some delays.
    Interstate 80 Eastbound Near Atlantic is Open.
    7:12 PM – I-80 eastbound seven miles west of Atlantic is open to traffic.

Interstate 35 Northbound Closed in Warren County
    6:48 PM – Northbound lanes of Interstate 35 are closed due to jackknifed semi tractor trailers. This location is 6 miles north of the IA 92 interchange in Warren County. Motorists are urged to use caution in the area.

Interstate 80 Eastbound Closed in Cass County
    6:18 PM – A multiple vehicle crash has closed Interstate 80 eastbound in Cass County,10 miles east of the Avoca interchange. It is unknown how long the closure will last. Motorists are urged to use caution in the area.
    Earlier Incident on U.S. 65 Near Mason City.
    4:55 PM – Earlier incident on US 65 from IA 18 to 220th St. in Mason City has been cleared but due to weather the highway will remain closed until further notice.

Iowa 22 Near Kalona is Open to Traffic.
    4:35 PM – Iowa 22 near Kalona is open to traffic.

Iowa 22 Closed Near Kalona.
    4:15 PM – Closed to traffic on IA 22 three miles west of Kalona in both directions due to multi-vehicle incident. Unknown to length of closure at this time. Follow detour, use caution and expect some delays.

Interstate 29 has reopened near Sloan
    3:13 PM – Interstate 29 southbound 2 miles south of Sloan has reopened to traffic. All southbound lanes had been closed due to a multi-vehicle crash.
    Multi-vehicle crash on US 65 in Mason City
    2:43 PM – A multi-vehicle crash has closed US 65 in both directions between 200th st (near mile marker 195) and US 18 near Mason City in Cerro Gordo county. Motorists are advised to avoid area, use alternate travel routes, and to obey…

IA 3 Closed in both directions near Marcus
    1:51 PM – IA 3 is closed in both directions near Marcus in Cherokee county between mile markers 46 to 47, south of Marcus, due to a multi-vehicle crash. Motorists are advised to avoid area, use alternate travel routes, and follow law enforcement…

Interstate 35 northbound closed near Williams
    1:06 PM – Interstate 35 northbound, 5 miles north of Williams in Hamilton county, is closed due to jackknifed semi tractor trailer. Motorists are advised to avoid area, use alternate travel routes, and to follow law enforcement direction.

Interstate 35 Northbound in Hamilton County
    12:33 PM – Both northbound lanes of Interstate 35, 2 1/2 miles north of the Ellsworth interchange, are now open. The right lane was closed earlier today because of a semi blocking the roadway. Motorists are still urged to use caution in the…

Interstate 29 Southbound Closed at Sloan in Woodbury County
    12:11 PM – A multi vehicle crash has closed the southbound lanes of Interstate 29 just south of Sloan. All southbound traffic is being routed off I-29 at exit 127. Motorists are urged to use caution in the area.

Interstate 29 has reopened near Sloan
    10:52 AM – Interstate 29 southbound near mile marker 125.0, 2 miles south of Sloan, has reopened to traffic. Motorists are advised to use caution in area due to blowing and drifting snow, with very poor visibility.

Interstate 280 in Davenport has re-opened to traffic
    10:27 AM – Interstate 280 near mile marker 9 in Davenport has re-opened to traffic. Lanes in both directions had been closed due to flooding.
    Multi-vehicle crash on Interstate 29 near Sloan
    9:18 AM – A multi-vehicle crash has closed Interstate 29 southbound at mile marker 125.0, 2 miles south of Sloan, in Woodbury county. Motorists are advised to avoid area, use alternate travel routes, and follow law enforcement direction.

Interstate 35 Northbound Reduced to One Lane in Hamilton County
    8:24 AM – Interstate 35 northbound is reduced to one lane, 2 1/2 miles north of the Ellsworth interchange in Hamilton County due to a semi blocking the right lane. It is unknown how long the lane will be closed. Motorists are urged…

Interstate 29 is now open 2 miles south of Iowa Highway 141
    4:36 AM – Interstate 29 is now open to normal traffic 2 miles south of 141 in Woodbury county.

Interstate 29 is closed 2 miles south of Iowa Highway 141
    3:49 AM – Interstate 29 southbound lanes are closed between the 125 and 126 mile markers due to an accident, two miles south of Iowa Highway 141 in Woodbury county. It’s unknown how long the southbound lanes will be closed.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I feel for the people stuck out on the roads in that mess but I can’t help but also feel sorry for the wildlife, especially the pheasants. Those poor birds have just been hammered in Iowa the past couple of years. Deep snow, freezing rain, wet and cold nesting seasons, and now a blizzard on top of crusted snow. And winter is only half over! They’re really getting stressed big time.

Boone

Pumpintheline

And that my friends is why I moved from Webster City,Iowa. And moved to Baldwin Wi. Wanted to get away from winter LOL. not sure was a good move. Well at least Red Wing is closer. U trade the wind for bigger shovels. Marble eye if I knew u, u could have stayed at my house in WC, Still own it I have four bedrooms and only 1 being used. Good luck to all those who are traveling and be safe.

shaley
    Milford IA

State Plows have been pulled here in Dickenson CO in NW Iowa as well as others around us. This sure does hurt the pheasants, we have been buried with snow since the week before Christmas.

drifter295
    Hastings MN

I feel terrible for you and anyone else caught up in that mess, I realize it’s a situation that no one wants to be in.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I had two people stay at my home last night (hampton) from I-35. Talked to a guy that served pancakes in Sheffield to the people stuck there from the wreck. They closed down all the roads in and out of Hampton last night. I have lived here 30 years and never have they done that. Too bad about the death.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.