favorite way to sharpen your hooks?

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im always looking for a better way to sharpen my hooks. With all the diffrent kinds of hooks and shapes of the points i’d like to hear what your favorite way is. Mine is using a fine file or stone with a groove in it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey MD, The best way I’ve found to keep hooks sharpe is to put a new one on…With crank baits, I loose them before they get dull. Even with those I keep a supply of trebles for replacements. With the cost of (at least the hooks I use) the hooks, it doesn’t pay to spend the time sharpening them….now fly fishing hooks…that’s a different story.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I agree with Brian. I immediatly replace my hooks when they get dull or bent tips rather than sharpen them.

I used to replace the trebles on my cranks right out of the box but I now carry 200 or so Shad Raps and other cranks with me and it gets way too expensive. I also carry over 1000 homemade pre-tied spinners, live-bait rigs and bobber rigs all tied with Gamakatsu’s

The high end hooks cannot be sharpened do to their chemically sharpened (whatever that is) or conical points

I have used top of the line hooks forever. They cost more but is it worth 15 more cents to catch a fish? The same thing with jigs, cheap jigs = cheap hooks. Hooks and rods are two things you shouldn’t skimp on and are the first places folks tend to do and the first areas that increase fishing success and pleasure.

Regular hooks only cost 3 to 8 cents each. Besides, we all want to buy MORE tackle.

But then again I don’t change my own oil, cut my own grass and putz around fixing stuff in general. Others like to do their own mechanical work, I don’t.

Oh yeah…The reason I don’t cut my own grass is that it would lessen my fishing time

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

But then again I don’t change my own oil, cut my own grass and putz around fixing stuff in general. Others like to do their own mechanical work, I don’t.

Oh yeah…The reason I don’t cut my own grass is that it would lessen my fishing time

Kevin…you are my brother!

Don Hanson

I do carry a fine stone in the boat. I will give a jig one quick sharpen, when the point dulls again I replace the jig.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I prefer the flat fine diamond dust lap files.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I too have too many hooks to sharpen or replace. However, I do spend time sharpening muskie bait/lure hooks. Most are poorly made and need a stone taken to them.

Has anyone used one of those battery operated hook sharpeners? How do those rate? Are they worth it?

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I have a 2”x8” EZE-LAP diamond stone that I use for all the knives/tools in our home, plus it is the best hook sharpener I have used. I have tried at least a dozen different kinds of hook sharpeners along with several battery operated ones — I was always disappointed with them until I started using the large diamond stone. I keep it in my boat.

Dave Gulczinski

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

For large trebles a dremel tool with a sharpening stone works good.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

Kevin
    What do you consider the best replacement treble hook for cranks?????
    JIM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.