back woods stories from times past

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

After reading the the grizzley bear story i thought it might be nice to have a thread of hunting stories you’ve heard. I’ve got one almost everyone probably won’t believe but i heard its true, actually two of them. This second one i know is true. Down here its done but not as much as it is in Missouri. Lots of guys are born and raised hand fishing the rivers and creeks. A guy one day left his wife and told her he was going hand fishing and that he would be back at a certain hour, so he went. Evidently this guy had handfished this section of this creek since he was a boy for catfish. Well the time came around for him to be home, like he told his wife and he didn’t come in then. After a few hours she was getting more concerned and called a couple of his friends and told them that he went hand fishing and wasen’t home yet. His two friends went to where the creek was and walked until they found him. Sorry to say he was dead from a falthead that horned him through the solorplexes and this fisherman still had his arm, up to his elbow and out through the gill still in this falthead. I guess this guy was a very experienced handfisherman and did it since he was a boy but he didn’t make it this day with all that he knew. The first story is a real backwoods one and i could see where it could have happened but its only through my eyes. A guy hand a bunch of coon hounds that he raised just like his dad befor him and had a [Ooops, did I just say that out loud?!] that was about ready to give birth and she left to go have her pups out on the back 40. Some dogs hollow up under brush , dig a hole or whatever they think they have to do to protect thier pups when thier real young from predators. This coon hunter would let his females go have thier pups and when he thought it was time to go looking for his dog and her new pups he would. This one special day what he found was totally amazing. Earlier in the month a newlywed couple had been going somewhere with thier newborn baby and ran off the road and down the hillside. When they were found the newlywed couple were dead from the accident and they were retrieved and taken to thier relatives. When they were apporached by thier relatives they wondered where the new baby was and they went back to search for the newborn and to no avail they didn’t find it. The coonhunter checking on his fermale that just littlered walked to the spot where she was and low and behold found something else in the hollow with his dog and her pups. He looked and couldn’t believe his eyes and seen the baby that everyone had been looking for and thought would never be seen again. The baby was dirty but healthy and had been with this female coonhound since the accident of the young couple. With minor exposier problems being the only thing wrong with this baby they wondered how it could have stayed alive, totally naked, so long from hunger and they could only imiagine how it survived. This backwoods lore put together this scenerio that this female coonhound found the baby and took it to her den and nursed it right along with the pups she had. When the baby was examined by the doctor it was in fairly good health and was nourished fairly well, they could only think that this coon hound took care of this baby until it was found by this coonhunter looking for his new dogs. Think this is a real true story? I think it could be.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.