shimano

• lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I read somewhere that Shimano has come out with a new electronic drag system for spinning and baitcast reels. I looked it up on Shimano’s website and found an electronic drag for their Calcutta baitcast but I could not find a spinning reel with an electronic drag. I think I read it in last month’s In-fisherman magazine but I don’t have it lying around anymore. Does anyone know anything about this?

Gator Hunter

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Not knowing ANYTHING about the topic (never stopped me before) I’m gonna take the “against” stance on an electronic drag. Seems to me it’d be something that increases cost and malfunction/repair issues without any real gain to the angler. Just my thoughts off the top of my melon.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya never know Gator but im like jolly there, a hook, a line and a limb to me. It could be very failsafe, but if it isn’t like the old cars we drove that rarely broke down and didn’t need a scientist to repair them?!?! could be ok i guess. Like you said, fishing for feedback.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Gator:

I think it may actually be an anti-backlash device. I saw in some magazine about Shimano baitcasters now have a microchip in them to apply anti backlash pressure at exactly the right time.

They could also have electronic drag too, I am not sure.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Isnt that what your thumb is for microchips, we dont need no stinking microchips

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

I haven’t seen anything for spinning reels… but for the baitcaster it supposedly allows the spool to turn higher RPMS (like up to 30,000). Therory is, you get longer casts with lighter stuff while the “chip” controls against backlash. For $499.00, I’ll stick to using my thumb.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.