12v to 24v… or even 36v?

• rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Need a little help here guys. I will be ditching my 55# Autopilot… and either going up to a 74# Maxxum, or possibly the 101#. Obviously, my system as it is right now is a 12v. Just wondering how hard/easy it might be to move up to a higher voltage? Thanks for any info.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Hey Travis,
    First off Love the picture Graphics!
    I am electicly challenged and found moving from 12 volt to 24 was EZ. Got some help from some of the in-depth gang on how to hook it up for my set-up that as well ended up to be really easy. The change was nice cause the need to charge was much less frequent and the output was much greater.
    Good luck.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

I think the biggest challange you will face is where to locate the extra 1 or 2 batteries. A wiring schematic will probably come with the motor and will be easy to do.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

It’s a breeze.

24 volt system requires 2 – 12-volt batteries connected in series. So, you have battery A and battery B. Connect the pos (+) of battery A to the Negative (-) of battery B. Then run your power to the T-motor from the Neg on battery A and the Pos on battery B.

36 volt system requires 3 – 12 volt batteries connected in series. So, you have battery A, B and C. Connect the pos (+) of battery A to the to the Negative (-) of battery B. Then the pos of battery B to the Neg of battery C. Then run the power off the Pos of battery C and the Neg of battery A.

Of course, some like me have 4 seperate cables that run to the front of the boat. So, I have 2 pos and 2 neg at the T-motor plug. I just do the cross over in the plug. Again easy!

Jon J.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I forgot to mention that my boat is equipped with 2 batteries for the trolling motor. I’m assuming they are wired in series or parallel… to my undersating to swith to a 24v system one would need to wire them in series?? or parallel? Cant remember which way.
    Another thing… will the recptical in the front (for power & charging purposes) need to be changed? I recall reading somewhere that these are “smart” plugs when it comes down to charging, effectively routing the charge correctly.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

OK… thanks Jon! Thats all the info I needed! Now I just need to figure out where that 3rd battery might go!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think Gianni has a picture of how it should look…if I recall correctly.

But, I went to the auto parts store and bought a battery cable..they are about $5. One end has a clamp and the other a hole. (This worked for my use since my batteries have both, a wing nut and a post).

Your MOTOR RED wire goes to the RED terminal of the first battery. Your NEW JUMPER cable goes from the BLACK POST on the 1st battery to the RED post of the SECOND battery. Then lastly, the BLACK post that’s left goes to your motor.

If you don’t have a 2nd battery tray, I would strongly suggest that you spend the $6 for one. You may have to relocate the one you have to make them both fit in the same compartment. As always know what your drilling/screwing into in a boat…gas tanks don’t like screws .

Don Hanson

Travis, check at the plug first. You may be wired for 12/24volt already. You may only need to change a wire at the back of the plug.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.