Wi. concealed carry

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Heres something to maybe logically think about. We drive cars and harm many people weather by accident or by pollution but they also help tremendously. Trains help millions of people but the occasional persons car that stalls on the crossing in the unfortunate one. It seems almost any subject anyone can pick theres a down side to it. I don’t think there is a clear cut way of doing things without the chance of harm to ones self or to someone around them how ever minor it might be. When someone is going to do something that involves themselves or another person theres always a small chance of something going wrong in minor affairs. In more complex issues theres things that can go wrong there too. Driving a boat and the skier being towed hits a limb just under the water. Driving down the road and a tire blows out on ice and the car goes to the other side of on comming traffic. Something simple like eating has its deaths too. To me all these things mean there are going to be mistake potential in almost anything we do, maybe anything. This is how I look at things in life as to be not perfect. Like when I was brougt up and raised I was told be careful in everything I do and do it for a good reason. To me its a solution that does the most good for the most people. To me theres never a perfect solution to every problem. Things always seem to be getting better. better hooks to fish with, better tires for our cars, better ideas for filling our needs. I know most of life is not cut and dry, the old saying every storm cloud has its silver lining may be true here about self protection and the good it will do for the masses in general because of potential danger. Even if we can’t see it coming we’ve bought the best tire we could for our own and the publics personel protection.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Kid you are dead on about freedom and choice. for me that is what this issue is really about.I don,t believe any freedom should be limited unless there is a compelling reason for doing so. I may never actually carry but I sure am going to apply for a permit.My choice, my freedom. As far as opinions one way or the other,the way I see it,untill there is an amendment to the constitution or a verdict from the Supreme Court repelling the 2nd amendment it is the law of the land and any lesser laws impeding it are unconstitutional.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The vote scheduled for yesterday was delayed. Not sure when they will take it up, hopefully before weeks end. It will be very, very close and I would not be surprised if the Veto failed.

Anyway, handguns aside, this is an amusing read. Especially if you are of the age where gun safty class was taught in 4th and 5th grade. And every kid in the neighborhood had a .22!

Rifles, shotguns at home, Oh my!

Jon J.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

What would this mean for guns in the car or truck. Will it need to be unloaded and cased? What then about the hunting rifle or shotgun. Why should they have to be cased and unloaded if the handgun isn’t? I would get the permit just so that I wouldn’t have to case my gun everytime I hop (drive) from one grouse spot to the next or from one pothole to the next.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Laws for long guns would not change. You would only be allowed to posses a loaded handgun in your vehicle. Same goes for walking down the street! You can carry a handgun, not a shotgun.

The assembley vote to override the veto will take place next Tuesday, February 3.

Jon J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Our instructor who co-authored the book on conceal and carry in Minnesota said the law does not detail how or type of gun that is carried. If you have a permit you could in theory walk into the mall with your duck gun slung over your shoulder. In practice you would probably get hauled away. Carrying long guns in vehicles uncased would be legal except where the DNR laws come into effect. Even with a permit an uncased shotgun in the vehicle between hunting spots would be a no no. The actual letter of the law for the new permits is not very restictive but like our instructor said, “you don’t want to be a test case for any unusual scenerios”. It’s best to just keep it hidden if your holding. Even if an establishment has a sign banning concealed weapons you can only get a $25 misdameanor ticket if they find out you have it and ask you to leave first. There are only a handful of places you cannot carry. Schools, post office, secured area in an airport and a couple others I cant think of right now. Alcohol levels are lowered as well. You can’t carry when intoxicated. Minnesota permits are valid in some other states including Michigan and Wisconsin if they pass the law.
    Again common sense plays a huge role in where this right goes in the future. One more interesting note. Permit applicants backgrounds are checked thouroughly before getting issued. If you get pulled over for a traffic violation and the officer checks on whether or not you have a permit, which is easy for them to do, more and more officers are assuming you to be a good guy since mostly good guys would pass the background check and be willing to spend the time and amount of money it takes to get a permit. Like an earlier post said no permit holders have gotten into trouble yet. A very good precedence has been set so far.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Mike, you are correct in saying the law does not detail what type of gun can be carried. The law itself uses the term “Pistol” and “Firearm” interchangeably.

I clarified this issue with the Ramsey County Sheriff where my permit was issued. His answer was very clear that long guns cannot be carried and also said “Read your Permit” I did, and it does say “PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL”.

Jon J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yea there are lots of gray areas.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

I did, and it does say “PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL”.

I assume it’s just an administrative oversight, but revolvers would not be covered by this permit. Iowa purchasing permits say, “Permit to purchase pistols and revolvers”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The whole law was thrown together fast. It’s full of inconsistancies. I have the book with the exact veriage and there is little to no destiction between types of firearms in the actual law. The wording on the permit and the wording of the law differ. It should just say permit to carry firearm to accurately describe the law. Although many local sheriffs have tried to interperet to fit their own beliefs they have all been corrected when out of line. My county sheriff puts graffiti on the permits he issues stating he is in protest.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I have actually called my sheriff about 10 times since May to claify certain aspects of the law. I’m 100% certain if those same questions were asked of other County Sheriffs, they answer would vary.

Jon J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I assume it’s just an administrative oversight, but revolvers would not be covered by this permit. Iowa purchasing permits say, “Permit to purchase pistols and revolvers”

Yeah Gianni, That’s goofy.

I’m certain my revolver would be considered to be a pistol to any reasonable person.

J.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

My county sheriff puts graffiti on the permits he issues stating he is in protest.

Then a judge should tattoo his butt for it. Perhaps he doesn’t understand that the proper role of the executive disciplines in our three-branch system of government.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

My county sheriff puts graffiti on the permits he issues stating he is in protest.

Then a judge should tattoo his butt for it. Perhaps he doesn’t understand that the proper role of the executive disciplines in our three-branch system of government.

I believe this refers to Washington County Sheriff James Frank. He signs the permits with the Latin phrase “In Protest”. The Judge is on it!

Jon J.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I won’t bombard the thread with evidence-o-plenty that LEO’s and judges are, at times, not “reasonable people.” In this case, the permit just needs correction. Any judge would (should) apply the law and not the wording on the permit, so you’re safe with a revolver (as safe as you can be with a 6 or 7 shot limit )

I guess signing ‘in protest’ wasn’t my idea of graffiti, I was thinking he was scribbling much worse. Although that’s not the way it works, and he shouldn’t be doing it, it’s harmless enough, and it’s better that people don’t get their panties in a bunch over it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If I publicly protested what my employer ordered me to do I would lose my job. For an officer of the law to protest the laws he is suppose to uphold seems contradictory to me. Oh well. No hard done I guess. Except the loss of my vote.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The vote to override the Governors veto failed today by one vote.

You guys across the border, don’t give up. It took a lot of work over here. Make sure and Vote.

J.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Jon, did you hear who the traitor was? I,m guessing that it was Sherman which is really sad since he was a co sponsor of the bill.Purely a election year political act that I hope will spell doom for our gov. and his lap dog.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Well, this issue is a lot like the abortion issue politically. Either you are for it, or against it. There is very little or no middle ground.

With that said, this one issue was a driver for who was elected or re-elected and who was tossed out of office during the 2002 elections here. It does not matter one bit how you FEEL about this issue. It matters how you VOTE on this issue. This will be my last comment on this post until it comes up for another vote in Wisconsin or another border state.

Jon J.

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Jon, I’m all for concealed carry too but I have heard that this bill has flaws. Suppossedly one of the reasons alot of the sheriffs are against it is because it forces them to do background checks but their is no funding from the state to pay for them. I haven’t read the bill but I would understand why this would be a concern. Also, does anyone know if it’s true that those who have a history of mental health problems also would not be denied under this bill? Hopefully if the bill is flawed it will be reintroduced with the flaws corrected so it can pass. Again, I haven’t read the bill but have heard these concerns from people who supposedly have.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

What part of “shall not be infringed ” don’t you understand ??

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.