Snowshoes

• marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

After years of secretly wanting a pair, we now have enough snow around to warrant serious consideration of picking up a pair of snowshoes. Other than knowing that I need a pair designed to hold up an old fat guy of 270 pounds, I don’t know much about them.

Do any of you guys have experience, advice or even an idea of where to pick up a used pair at a reasonable price? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

I just got a pair of Atlas brand ones from Cabelas. After the initial getting used to them. You can’t even feel them after awhile.

As far as things to consider, make sure the bindings are sturdy, and will be comfortable. That can make the experience fun or not so fun.

Also make sure if you are going to be doing any hill climbing that you have the cleats underneath them. They can make even the smallest patch of ice or slope VERY slippery.

I don’t know about where to find a good used pair but craigslist would be a start.

Good luck!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

If it was me I think I would look in the Ely area. I’m thinking that in Minnesota Ely most likely has the most snowshoe people. Maybe touch base with the chamber of commerce and they could hook you up with a outfitter that rents shoes and maybe willing to sell used ones?

In any event the outfitters should be able to provide information on what to look for. I know they make long shoes and shorter shoes. When and how you use them I don’t have a clue.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

As one old fat guy to another, I would really advise finding a way to try them before buying. Snowshoeing can be VERY HARD WORK. If the snow is deep and soft, it can be very difficult. After you have a path, going over the next time isn’t bad. Watch very carefully that you don’t catch the front tip because if you do, you will be on your knees or face and it can be very difficult to get up once you fall down in deep snow.

I once was in snow so soft and deep south of Mille Lacs Lake that I went into my hips snowshoe and all. I had a terrible time and had to release the bindings and walk out carrying the snowshoes. It was just impossible. This wet, dense snow we got last time around should be ideal for snowshoeing.

The advice on slopes is spot on. Make sure you have cleats. Good thing about snowshoes is that unlike “cross country” skis, you really can go cross country on snowshoes.

If your looking to lose some weight, just get a pair and snowshoe everyday for the next 90 days and you will be much lighter and in much better shape.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Check this place out. I think it is considered Richfield. http://snowshoe.com/ I just picked up a (seconds) kit here to build my own for $70, $100 with bindings. I’m 6’2″ 250lbs. Actually started trying to string them yesterday. After you get the hang of it, it’s kind of fun. I think a set like this already finished would be over $300.

Good Luck in your search.

a1a

Piragis next to the Chocolate Moose rents them in Ely.

I have a pair of 14″ wide Cabelas Bear-paws and I can’t say enough good about them. I also have the Cabelas bindings and they are very nice and easy…once you get them installed! A buddy of mine has the aluminum style and they don’t hold him up in the snow nearly as well as mine. Surprisingly the Bearpaws aren’t as difficult to walk in as you would think. They work great. There’s places that sell 16″ wide Bearpaws, which Cabelas doesn’t, and they would really hold ya up nicely.

DON’T buy the Green Mountain style, you’ll be very disappointed in them unless you are strictly going to stick to established trails. You’d be better off with the Alaskans if you want a skinnier shoe.

Josh Runksmeier
    Pequot Lakes, MN

I have a pair of ATLAS and LOVE them I just used the down in southern MN pheasant hunting last weekend. I have had them for 10 years and still in good shape. I am 200lb and the shoe is 25″ x 9″and hold me up well in the powder

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I snow shoe a lot. Right now I’m useing a pair of Tubbs Wilderness 36 snow shoes. Right now I’ll tell you for your size you’ll want atleast a 36 inch modern shoe for holding yourself up in the snow and your gear. My mom and dad, mother and father in-law and my fiance are all using Tubbs. they are very reasonably priced, and have some great entry, mid, and high end snow shoes. Atlas also makes some nice snow shoes but being they make alot of hi-end racing snow shoes they tend to cost more. The ones made for Cabela’s by Atlas will do you ok but I do not like that the toes area of the snowshoe is made of a softer canvase like the rest of the shoe. So if you boot rubs on the front at all or something gets caught on them they WILL rip. On a side note Joe’s sportng goods has alot of snowshoes in stock right now yet.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Thanks for all the input, guys. I do a lot of cross country skiing, but with this deep snow I’m stuck going on trails and I would like to get off the beaten path more. I will take all your feedback into account. If we’re gonna have winter, we might as well enjoy it, right?

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Oh yeah Scheel’s in Mankato is almost out of snow shoes down there. My mom was going to get me a new pair for christmas this year but got me the wrong size. So she took them back and they said that they weren’t ordering anymore this year. So I went to Joe’s to get my pair.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.