well guess what.. fuel pump went out again..

• oldrat
    Upper Midwest

so on the 30th my fuel pump “went out’ on my 97 Suburban.. I was on the south side of LaCrosse and towed it across the street to the nearest shop..

I don’t know if I had gas line freeze.. but I was told that I only had 15- 18 lbs of pressure.. so they changed it..

charged me “two hours “for the pump and insisted that I needed a fuel filter and charged me a half hour labor alone on that..

is that right? or did they have me by the short hairs?

mikkar
    South Saint Paul, MN

Keep in mind when you go to a shop you are charge by shop rate or book rate ( man hours) and 2.5 hours for a fuel pump and filter is not to bad by book rate (man hours). price of course varies by location and ya could feel like they should have given ya KY at the door .

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If you have the pump in hand, you can do them in just under an 1.25 hours and a fuel filter in 15 mins.

Unfornately most shops go by hourly rates/guide lines and not flat rate

Always use OEM replacement brand pumps.

I have NEVER charged that much tho.I flat rate them. most are easy to do. unless full of fuel and a pump never goes out on an empty tank

roger_k
    St. Cloud, MN

I just had my fuel pump replaced on monday in my 97′ chevy truck, and as far as I know it was the original pump. I don’t think it is uncommon that the mechanic replaced the fuel filter, and I’m saying that just because I have been taking my vehicles to the same mechanic for over 5 years and before he tore anything apart he called and told me that when he replaces fuel pumps he also changes the fuel filter. His reason was it only takes another 15min to install and it just makes for smoother operating. My pump went out with a quarter tank of gas and I was charged for 2 hours of labor, so going off your story, that sounds about the norm.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If you have burned up that many fuel pumps, it sounds like you have electrical circuit problems, meaning that you have too much or not enough current flowing to your pump. Take your vehicle to a good mechanic that can chase the sparks and ensure you have the right amps/ohms flowing to your pump.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

well its the second one since I have had it.. I guess that its the second one in two years.. I have had the truck about 5 or 6 years. I am not that good at keeping the tank half full. but I was told that these things are hit and miss.. that for every 4 “good ones” there is one bad one.

the one that went out, started moaning within a month of the being replaced.. the one prior to that moaned for about 2 years or more before dying..

at least I was in town each time that they went.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Your lucky rat. The injection pump went out on my diesel and the dealer wanted $2,200 just for the pump. I found one on the internet for $600 delivered to my door and a local mechanic who put it in for $400. Works like a charm but not looking forward to that again.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Your lucky it’s a 97,my 98 5.7 silverado fuel pump is about $500.00 alone my buddys 97 is around $100.00. Ive had to put 2 in but other than that it’s been a great truck

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I’ve heard that some vehicles the pump goes out more often if the tank is always run at a low level. If kept at above 1/2 tank more often would help with the pump life.
    Anyone else hear of this.
    Jack

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I’ve heard that some vehicles the pump goes out more often if the tank is always run at a low level. If kept at above 1/2 tank more often would help with the pump life.
    Anyone else hear of this.
    Jack

Depending on where you are driving. If you are stop and go driving, the fuel moves in the tank, thus, the possibility of the fuel pump pickup sucking air and causing premature failure. On the highway, you could run the tank lower on fuel. I’ve heard the 1/4 tank rule for city driving, but 1/2 tank is better. Yes Jack, you are correct!

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I don’t know if I had gas line freeze..

With ethanol common in gas today, its unlikely it froze. I still see folks putting anti-icing additives in their gas when its not needed.

glb
    Twin Cities

I’ve heard “keep it above 1/4 tank”. The pump relies on the fuel for cooling. The pump/electric motor runs constantly and being mounted in the tank does not allow for much cooling when low on fuel. Being submersed in fuel transfers heat approximately 20 times faster than air. If the pump makes noise or doesn’t last that long I’d look at whether any warranty is included.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.