2004 Minnesota Opener – May 15.

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Anyone know why the opener is on the 3rd weekend in May this year? Usually it’s the second weekend and lands on Mother’s Day weekend. Just curious.

Jon J.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

The rule that was used by the DNR to determine the date is that there needs to be a weekend between opener and Memorial Day. With the 31st being Memorial Day , this leaves the opener on the 15th , not the 8th.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think this happens every 7 years if my memory serves me.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

I believe you are correct on the 7 year thing. This is the year I will actually be home for Mothers day.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Come on Dean…the Croix is open, Pool 2, Redwing, crappie fishing? Just dont tell the wife that the opener is the following weekend!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

May 8th and 9th is “Take your Mom fishing” weekend. Mom’s don’t need a license to fish!

I still don’t get the explanation. How is this May any different than May of 2003? There are the same number of wekends. In 2003, the opener was on the 10th (second weekend) and there were 2 weekends in between the opener and Memorial Day. So why not in 2004? Opener on the the 8th (second weekend) and 2 weekends till Memorial Day?

Jon J.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I was told that the opener always falls on the saturday beforeand closest to the 15th. This year saturday happens to be the 15th, can’t get any closer than that. Don’t know if it’s true but seems to work that way.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thats what I was told too. -Weekend closest to the 15th. I think the DNR tried having it 3 weeks from the Bass Opener for a few years but then went back to the closest to the 15th again by the looks of this years opener date.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.