Planer Board Question

• dr_hook
    Minnestrista

I received the Off Shore Boards with the Tattle Tail kits for Xmas. After applying the Tattle Tail kits, I am surprised by how little tension you apply to it to make the flag go down completely…..even in the strongest tension setting. I am assuming trolling most any crank will cause this to happen. So, for you guys that use’em, do you replace the factory springs with something heavier?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes,

Most guys I know have settled in on a C-73 spring. You can get them at Fleet Farm, Menards or most any hardware store.

Jon J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

and while we are talking upgrades, you may want to consider upgrading the release to an OR-18 Snapper. (Front Clip only) You can get them at Gander Mtn or order them from Off-Shore. A MUST if you run and super-line like Spider wire, Power-pro or Fireline.

Jon J.

james
    Ankeny Iowa

I’ve been pulling boards for three years and still use the orignal springs and have little trouble with them. I do run the Red clip in front and a black one in the back. You have to pay close attention to the board because you can pull a small fish around if you use too stronge a spring. The flag wont go down .. I however have to slow down once in awhile to let the flag come back up if I get over 3 mph. Just one point remember to keep the line tight when taking the board off because slack in the line may let the fish off. Have fun and remember CPR. Jim

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I agree with Jon. The C-73 springs are a good idea, but don’t worry too much about them. I used the factory springs for a long time and the only baits that ever gave me trouble were Deep Thundersticks and Deep Husky Jerks. Some others would pull the flag down a little, but not all the way.
    You’ll really like those boards. IMHO they are the best ones out there.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I run the OR-18’s also on my boards.They are a great clamp and it only takes one hand to get the line out of the pad.
    Ryan Hale

mikepautsch

Another thing that works is to use a small drill bit and drill another hole higher on the flag and farther back on the board. This will give you a wider range of options with the original spring.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.