From the VRO to mixing own gas

• gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

Have any of you taken out your vro oil tank, plugged it put a fuel pump in it and mixed gas. I want to know how well it went.
    Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Mr G.

My neighbor had a 25 horse Evenrude. The oil pump went out many moons a go. He was told that he could replace it, but for some reason it would go out again (I don’t remember why).

Anyway, he mixed his gas/oil right in the tank for years without a problem.

I guess, unless it’s broke, why would you want to mix your gas and oil? If it is broke…is the replacement cost too far out of line?

I guess I would do just about anything to keep from mixing gas/oil..

Briank

pbitschura

I’ve got an ’86 125 evinrude. The vro is still fine. I’ve been told vro is junk. Well maybe yours(metaphor). But I’ve been told to mix in 2 cycle oil in the spring to prime the system and prevent damage should the system stop working over winter.Can’t hurt.

gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

Every once in a while my Oil alarm will go off telling me it is not getting enough oil. If this keeps up the motor will go bad costing me money I dont have.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

I have a friend with an older 150 HP Merc. He has been mixing oil for years, because his injection system failed and he doesn’t want to put the $$$$$ into repair. I think he has been thinking of a new one for ten years. His still runs just as good as when new.
    JIM

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Every once in a while my Oil alarm will go off telling me it is not getting enough oil.

But on the other hand, mixing gas and oil isn’t such a bad idea. At least you know you’re going to get home at night.

I don’t think you posted the size or the year?

gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

What is the process you do have to plug the oil line dont you? Dont you need to put another kind of pump in there?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Wait for varification, but I believe you just pull the horn wires and leave everything else alone. I’ll check with my neighbor…don’t want you to burn up your pistions because I gave you the wrong info…THAT would be more annoying than the horn!

srdjo

re: What is the process you do have to plug the oil line dont you? Dont you need to put another kind of pump in there?

I’ve had my Vro 60 evinrude for three years, and strongly recommend replacing your current Vro with a non Vro commercial pump. These are far superior pumps, as they are very simple and much cheaper. I origrinally just disconected the oil side of the Vro, and just mixed my own gas, but a plastic pump made in mexico can only last so long. Replacing the entire unit clears a lot of space under your cowling, and having to mix your own oil and gas, prevents the oil pump ever failing an seriuosly damaging your motor………anyway’s gotta go hammer these beautiful winter kings in Sooke, BC Canada. post back if you have any other questions

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Some minor trouble shooting…

Does it use oil from the emergency reservoir? If so take the cowling off and unscrew the oil reserve cap. Keep the engine idling and it will refill. Sometimes you lose prime.

Make sure the cap is tight on the main oil tank and there are no kinks in the oil line. The line can kink when you trim the motor or mess around with the batteries or whatever is in back.

gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.