Tongass national forest

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve been reading about the present administration opening up the Tongass national forest in southern Alaska to logging. It’s going to be a clearcut logging operation and from past readings on what clearcutting does to the surrounding rivers, streams and creeks theres no doubt that the silting of hundreds of thousands of acres of water resources will be damamged to the point where the salmon, trout etc. will have a hard time spawning and ruin all the excellent fishing too. Ive seen a logging operation on an indian reservation by greenbay wisc. and the way they do it is they harvest only the mature trees that are at the end of thier life expectency, plus this reduces the loss potential greatly for disease to be spread by taking out only the older trees, not clear cutting them. I know were all outdoorsmen and we know what heavy silting does. Look at the pools from around 7 to 9 down for examples. Some of the older spawing beds are gone now from silting in over the past years and nothing short of major flooding for a few years would bring them back. The silt would be washed downstream only to silt in the lower steaches of the mississippi and the esturaries for the shrimping and crabbing that are at the mouth of the gulf of Mexico, thus silting isn’t good for anyone or anything in our water systems. Im wondering why they can’t just cut out the older mature trees and leave that area free from major silting, to me its an all around better idea. I would like to hear what everyone else has got to say about this major national forest topic, thanks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.