Snow Blowers

• rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

I am finally forced to replace the old beater snow blower and am looking for some insight on a replacement seeing that this may shape up to be one long snowy winter.Are the track models better than the ones with wheels in anyones opinion.And does it require more HP to push them?

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

What are your needs? How big of a job? No experience with the track models, but I sure love my Ariens.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Go with a Honda, they are not cheap, but they are the best on the market IMHO.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Isnt techumsa out of the picture? They accounted for a large share of the engine market. My 2000 Cub-Cadet 7 hp (Techumsa) is an animal and hasnt broke yet. I didnt need one that size for my 20 foot drive but a snowblower is one thing that cant be too big. I cant think of one mfg that has a bad rap in this market. Honda makes some really nice machines, but spendy.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Got myself one of these Toro’s three years ago. Love it, electric start, a good light for those late night blowing sessions, and the best is the joystick that allows you to keep going instead of stopping to crank the handle for chute adjustment. Joystick gives rotation and angle in one.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Yep Mike, I think the indian is no more, but I’m hoping parts are around for a while for my SnoKing. I’d agree that the top of the line units are all decent, Honda being one of them. Off early today, do you know if the vermillion is thick enough yet?

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

I have approximately 2500 sq ft to keep clean every time it snows and for some reason mother nature sends 1/2 of the snow that the surrounding neighborhood should get.I was busting 3′ drifts everywhere when the old one expired today.I used to plow but its too tight to work in so I sold that.

Bassn Dan

Consumer Reports had a report on snowblowers in the October issue. Troy-bilt Storm 3090XP was top rated for $1100 for a two-stage.

Dan

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Like I said, no experience with tracked here. That said, I have never had an issue with the tires on the Ariens at all for what it is worth. After 5 years I replaced the fiction disk this fall, now I can ski behind it if I want!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Anything Honda powered big enuff to do what needs to be done will treat you right and most always a service center close by for the future needs

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Don’t get a Craftsman. I have one and its cheap. Thin metal and the auger always pops out of the seats. Not fun!!

Surf-N-Turf
    Stevens Point, WI

I have an 8HP Tecumseh 26″ MTD track model that is a few years old. No trouble to speak of…replaced the friction wheel thing last spring. It started on the 1st pull the other day after sitting untouched for 8 months. I like the track feature for the extra traction, as my d’way is wide and on a slope. I’d buy another one if I ever needed one. Hope this helps out, Gregory

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

My 26″ 8hp John Deere has kept me very happy for over 10 years.

gary d
    cordova,il

I also have a MTD track. I like it for snow drifts. If they are big enough and hard you can ride up half way though the drift. Then go back finish it off. I have had for several years also. I think the track is the way to go.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

What??

Don’t any of you guys have wives?…….Man up..

What do you need a snowblower for

Ducking for cover now

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Both honda and toro make great machines either way you will be happy.

whittsend

Quote:

What??
    Don’t any of you guys have wives?…….Man up..
    What do you need a snowblower for

LOL… Maybe the snowblower is an excuse for more “man time” away from the better half??

rmklink0817

I can vouch for Menard’s they have many different models and very the prices can’t be beat.

markmoran
    Rochester MN

Bought a Poulan Pro last year and have been very pleased with that, Northern Tool and equip have them. Rated pretty high and have good features! They are reasonable for price as well.

mojogunter

A couple of years ago I replaced a Toro 622 with a simplicity Signature Pro series. The Toro still works I brought that to my moms so I didn’t have to haul one over there every time it snows. The Toro is 10 years old and has been pretty good, but in the last couple of years has started to have things go wrong with it. I will say that there is no comparison between the two though. The simplicity is better in everyway except that it is much heavier, but that is a good thing. I did a lot of research, and from what I read, and what I was told they break down like this. #1 Honda, but overkill in most cases. #2 Simplicity signature pro series (Simplicity also make cheaper versions that fall into the no so great versions). #3 Ariens. I was told that Toro is not as good as they used to be, but are better than the others like MTD. The rest fall into the good for about 5 years and then have to replace parts level. Remember you get what you pay for.

mojogunter

Here is a cool tracked snowblower that will get the job done for you.

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

I think this is the one that you need! v-8 power baby!!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Quote:

Consumer Reports had a report on snowblowers in the October issue. Troy-bilt Storm 3090XP was top rated for $1100 for a two-stage.

Dan

This is what I have with a Honda, got it a lot cheaper though. It is a snow eater even with snow deeper then it, doesn’t even slow down. One thing though is it does loose grip in deep hard packed snow and I have to help it out. I don’t know if tracks would change that, I would assume so.

glb
    Twin Cities

I had a small 2 stage track drive. They work fine. The biggest difference I noticed was that the machine was much harder to move when not running. The wheeled units roll rather easy. The tracks provide a little additional traction, but the difference is not always that much. I have a vertically challenged (short legged) dog and use the blower to make a path in the lawn for her outdoor activities. The track models are adjustable to allow for leaving a couple inches of snow cover in the grass, but a wheeled unit can be used also, with a little attention. The biggest problem I have had is when a little oil and snow/water get on the discs of the “transmission” causing the tires to not turn.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.