Announcing the 2010 – IDO GTG on Rainy Lake

• whittsend

Quote:

James,

I know you were in contact with Mike (Whittsend) about our group. The check is supposedly in the mail to you today.. I can’t wait for a great experience with some great guys and great fishermen. Now to make everything right at home… There will be a new Saint Joseph this Christmas at my household and in 2010.

Ya, right… Best of luck with that DT (St. Joseph)!!

Hopefully one of our other crew (Cranberry Kid aka CK) will chime in here… He’s been a lurker for years, but maybe we can get a post or two out of him…

We are all super excited for this trip – Can’t wait to learn a thing or two, fish with some other incredible fisherman and even catch a few walleyes / crappies!!!

Let the countdown begin!!!

CranberryKid

I will make a post just to make Whittesend happy. Definately looking forward to the trip -though wouldn’t suprise me if our group didn’t manage to catch a fish. As many times we have fished together there is always an interesting story to come about and it rarely involves a big fish. Looking forward to fishing with the other IDO members -shouldn’t be very hard for me to learn something.

whittsend

Its about time…

Welcome to IDO, CK!!

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

Count me in again for this upcoming trip…. the last one was a blast and cannot wait to do it again. Maybe this time the weather will be a bit cooler than it was last September! Cannot wait to see some of the same guys and maybe even meet a few new ones as well. Dropping my check off to Ben tomorrow afternoon.

Layne Monroe

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Count me in again for this upcoming trip…. the last one was a blast and cannot wait to do it again. Maybe this time the weather will be a bit cooler than it was last September! Cannot wait to see some of the same guys and maybe even meet a few new ones as well. Dropping my check off to Ben tomorrow afternoon.

Layne Monroe

Got ’em and already turned them around to Rainy Lake Houseboats.

We’re over halfway filled already with deposits “in hand” securing spots on this great trip. We do have openings yet so if someone wants more info let me know.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Is it September yet??? …

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

Is it September yet??? …

Sept cant get here quick enough

arklite881south

Got out fishing with Billy from Rainy Lake Houseboats fishing some new structure. Fishing was good with some pretty active fish both big slots and eaters. We’re all very excited for the 2nd annual Rainy Lake Houseboat/In Depth Excursion!! My buddies trip best 28 inch walleye will surely fall this year especially if we get some Mans weather!! Get your bibs, and grab the net!!

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

Good thing rifle deer hunting isn’t until November here in Nebraska! Great job icing a bunch of nice fish so far this year already Chris…. can’t wait for September to arrive.

Layne Monroe

fishingishot
    Walker, MN

I may be too late. Is there room for 2 more?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I may be too late. Is there room for 2 more?

Absolutely. We expanded the number of openings for the coming year so we room. Shoot me an email to [email protected] and we’ll get you set up.

arklite881south

Got my last 2 deposits for our boat pal. Talked to a guy that might be interested in reserving a boat. Will be talking to him this week. Still room??

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Got my last 2 deposits for our boat pal. Talked to a guy that might be interested in reserving a boat. Will be talking to him this week. Still room??

Yup, sure do. We added 4 more boats this year so we have room. For now. Send them my way my friend.

arklite881south

NICE!! I figure guys better lock their spots up before the shows air. Any timeline on the Rainy Lake shows James?? I’m sure my buddy wants to see his mug with that beautiful 28 inch walleye!!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

James sent you an E-Mail Jeremy and I are both in if spots are open….

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

James,…Please also let me know if there are openings. I’ve been trying to find a partner,…any “mix and match” possibilities? Might be a little risky for a long trip but may try it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James sent you an E-Mail Jeremy and I are both in if spots are open….

I have spots for both you and Jeremy set aside. Looking forward to having you both along for what amounts to one heck of a fun trip!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,…Please also let me know if there are openings. I’ve been trying to find a partner,…any “mix and match” possibilities? Might be a little risky for a long trip but may try it.

Yup, we still have 20+ openings available. People are procrastinating BIG TIME right now but that means there’s openings. As far “mix and match” possibilities” I’d all but guarantee you there will be. Last year every houseboat had people on it that had never met before the trip. It actually made the trip more fun.

Shoot me an email if you have any questions. I’ll be happy to answer them or you could post them right here and I’ll follow up.

SLOTLIMIT

James,do you have three to four spots available yet?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,do you have three to four spots available yet?

Sure do. Shoot me an email at [email protected] or give me a call at 507-271-0362 and I’ll answer any questions you might have.

arklite881south

Hey James,

After watching the first of 2 shows featuring Rainy Lake, and Rainy Lake Houseboats I am getting serious Cabin Fever. Although impossible to detail every luxury of fishing out of a Rainy Lake Houseboat I’d rate that trip even though we were filming in my top trips of my life. I’m a long time BWCA visitor with over 30 trips to hundreds of different lakes. Having a BWCA type Wilderness setting with all the luxuries of home makes it tough to paddle/portage again!! I know I’m probably getting soft, but I love the world class fishing in style. Furthermore I don’t think I can portage the hot tub, Grill or AC!! LOL!! Will next weeks episode showcase our first annual Houseboat excursion?? I can’t wait to see that!! What a awesome event. September cannot come soon enough!! I’m putting my 2 cents in for a opening night seminar at a local resort where we can all get together for a bit of a meet and greet followed up by seminars on the fishing!!

Still have openings??

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Hey James,

After watching the first of 2 shows featuring Rainy Lake, and Rainy Lake Houseboats I am getting serious Cabin Fever. Although impossible to detail every luxury of fishing out of a Rainy Lake Houseboat I’d rate that trip even though we were filming in my top trips of my life. I’m a long time BWCA visitor with over 30 trips to hundreds of different lakes. Having a BWCA type Wilderness setting with all the luxuries of home makes it tough to paddle/portage again!! I know I’m probably getting soft, but I love the world class fishing in style. Furthermore I don’t think I can portage the hot tub, Grill or AC!! LOL!! Will next weeks episode showcase our first annual Houseboat excursion?? I can’t wait to see that!! What a awesome event. September cannot come soon enough!! I’m putting my 2 cents in for a opening night seminar at a local resort where we can all get together for a bit of a meet and greet followed up by seminars on the fishing!!

Still have openings??

Yup, we still have some openings. If you’ve got guys interested, send them my way. I’ll get them set up.

As for the episode that will feature last year’s 2009 GTG on Rainy Lake, that one is scheduled to air in 3 weeks on the 21 and 28 March.

SLOTLIMIT

James, put me down for three. I will be bringing my Dad and Son and one Bad Skeeter boat!I will drop the deposit in todays mail. Thanks

arklite881south

Good News Slotlimit I’m already fired up!! Suppose we’re going to get confused on which Skeeter to get in!! It is going to be a blast!! I can’t wait to see the television show from last years

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Boaters from last year. Do you have an idea of how much gas you went through in a day? I am talking about the boats you fished out of.

Thanks,

FDR

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m sure others will answer to help fill in the gaps on the various horsepowers but my 225 Yamaha went through just a touch over 30 gallons which includes the two days of fishing with Dustin before the event started. I babied it… 4200 – 4600 RPMs max but I never did need to add in any additional fuel.

arklite881south

Since you tow your fishing boats out, and back you alleviate the day in and day out journeys which can add to a weeks gas total very quickly. Our fleet of Rainy Lake Houseboats will be located near Prime September fishing grounds. With that being said depending how adventureous you are will be a big determining factor on gas consumption. I ran a V8 Mercruiser last year, and figured I burned around 40 gallons. We did a lot of back and forth stuff, and exploring…. Nice thing about the Houseboats are that you eliminate roughly 25 miles roundtrip per day from staying land based outside of the park in the local resort locations when wanting to fish the east end. So the tradeout in gas utilized to operate your houseboat is diminished or washed out completely over the trip especially when considering 2-3 fishing boats per houseboat. Beyond that you spend more time fishing than traveling. Many people including myself brought additional gas containers for their fishing boats. It becomes counterproductive should you need more gas driving 25 miles to get some.

Good question!! Should be valuable info for all!!

whittsend

Excellent info, I was wondering about that myself…

So it sounds like we get up to 80 gallons of gas per houseboat (for use as houseboat fuel), and any gas we burn in our own fishing boats should be supplied by us… Correct?

I’ve got an 18′ aluminum Lund with a 4-stroke Suzuki/4 stroke T-8, 32 gallon tank… Normally this boat just sips gas. We’ve gone a week on Rainy before (making numbers of runs each day) without necessarily having to refuel. (Although its nice to top it off just to have the tank full for safety/insurance). It sounds like I should have no problem getting through the 5 days on a full tank, but it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring two or three 5-gallon gas cans for insurance…

Sound about right?

Chris – From talking to some of last year’s guests, I’ve heard that one of the crappies spots (depending on water temp, etc) is quite a run. I assume it wouldn’t be a bad idea to prepare for more running just in case…..

Oh ya — Is there a gas station up there that sells non-ethanol gas, or should we just bring “non-oxy” gas from home?

Thanks for the question, it was on my mind as well…

Mike

arklite881south

Hi Mike,

Yes……Your responsible for your own fishing boat gas. Also yes there is a variable depending on the economy factors of your personal motor, and how far your choose to run. If you fish off the back of the Houseboat sipping umbrella drinks you’ll save a few $$. Not a bad idea to bring some boat gas as insurance. Yes the Rainy Lake One Stop will sell a non Oxy Gas which is right on your way to Rainy Lake Houseboats. That is where we get our big bait order, and everything you forgot at home. Plus lake maps, caps, Sweatshirts, tackle, groceries………You name it. Oh……..And what Crappie Spots

whittsend

A little bird told me that Rainy has one or two decent crappies in it.

I heard “the spot” is a hike though….

If the water temps are right, I’d be glad to trade a Leinie’s or two for some crappie guidance…

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.