Announcing the 2010 – IDO GTG on Rainy Lake

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Here’s the dates: Sept. 15 – 19, 2010

Cost per person: $470.00

What it gets you: 4 nights and 5 days on Rainy Lake chasing walleyes and slab crappies with 5 friends. Lodging on a Voyageur’s class houseboat. More scenery and solitude than you can handle and some of the best fishing to be found on the planet!

Here’s a thread from last year’s event once everyone got back home. I’m sure everyone in attendance would agree this was one of THE BEST trips of all time!

2009 In-Depth Outdoors GTG on Rainy Lake

For those that missed the details from the 2009 trip, here’s the scoop:

Everyone that attends will be mobile and living the life of luxury in 50 foot houseboats which will make taking advantage of the great fishing and the incredible scenery a truly unique experience! Camp sites within Voyageurs National Park have been reserved. We’re a “go” for launch on this one.

We need to point out that the timing for the trip is dead center prime time for walleyes, smallies and crappies. If you’ve followed Chris Granrud’s reports over the past couple seasons you know that September is “the time” to be there!

And I know what you’re thinking… sounds expensive. Well… it isn’t free but as houseboat trips go, the pricing we’ve been able to secure is pretty incredible as well. Read on for the details.

Cost per person for 5 days / nights is $470. This includes ALL taxes, insurance, fuel (up to 80 gallons per boat alloted), linens, ice…. no surprises. Occupancy will be 6 people per boat on a 50 foot houseboat that typically sleep 10 people so SPACE and COMFORT will not be compromised >>> http://www.rainylakehouseboats.com/fleet/voy.html

In fact these boats are floating castles. Every person gets their own bed. Full kitchen. Shower, refrigerator and BBQ grill on the deck. You can bring your own fishing boat along to make the day trips out away from the houseboat or if you don’t want to tow your boat from home you can rent one from RLH. The cost to rent a fishing boat is NOT included in the package but can be added at a reasonable cost.

Bill Dougherty and Chris Granrud will be doing a pre-launch seminar so everyone has a very good game plan heading out. Each day we will have pre-designated “beaching” areas where everyone can meet each evening to shoot the breeze, drink beers and tell stories. Bill, Chris and I will be on hand each evening to make sure everyone in attendance is catching the heck out of the fish. Our goal is to make sure everyone has the time of the live’s so they want to come back again next season.

There will be a mid-day Cajun shore lunch fish fry during our stay, provided by RLH, Sturdiwheat and IDO.

So… that’s the plan. Last year mid-september was when Chris started POUNDING the big eyes on the reefs…. each year the BIG crappies go on a tear during that time period… and I’ve been talking with a couple Skeeter pros that tell me September is “off the hook” for smallmouth with big numbers of fish available each day in the 4 – 5 lb class. On calm days the houseboats can be anchored on the reefs and my understanding is the fishing can be phenomenal without ever having to leave the comforts of the big boat.

So, if anyone’s interested in attending, let us know. We are willing to work with each and every interested party to answer questions and get everyone ready for this trip. Contact information for James Holst is listed below at the end of this post. Feel free to contact me with any and all questions.

More to follow in the coming days…. but check those calendars. If you want to get in on a once in a lifetime trip to Rainy Lake at the premiere time of the year…. this is it. And to do it as a group should make it all the more sweet.

Contact Information

James Holst

Ph. 507-271-0362

Email [email protected]

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Here’s some additional info. I know people are going to ask these questions…

Here’s the answers to some questions I know I’m going to get asked:

Q: How do we reserve a spot?

A: I’ve worked through the details with Rainy Lake Houseboats (RLH) regarding the registration process, etc. IDO is going to collect the down payments and keep tabs on the boat rosters to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. They have a well run outfit up there but with the chance to talk to one of 4 different people any time a call is made… having one designated person dealing with this makes good sense.

So here’s how this is going to go. We’re requiring a $200 / person deposit with the balance due 60 days prior to the trip (July 15, 2010). Send checks to the following address. Please note that checks are NOT made out to In-Depth. I will be forwarding them on to RLH as they come in.

Send those checks, made out to Rainy Lake Houseboats to:

In-depth Outdoors
    Attention: James Holst
    6630 Newton Ave S
    Richfield, MN

#1) – Any interested party can bring along anyone they choose. Friend(s), kids, spouse. This might be a GTG but more importantly it is YOUR vacation. Set it up to include whomever you wish… the same low price applies to anyone you want to bring along.

#2) – I’m willing to help coordinate individuals that want to attend but will do so alone by helping to coordinate with other’s booking as singles. Ideally 2 or 3 “singles” would travel and fish together to save on travel expenses. One boat could be towed to Rainy to be used as a running around boat versus 3 boats making the trip. Going this route makes this trip quite reasonable with regards to overall cost to each participant.

Any other questions, just holler!

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Q: When will the houseboats leave the dock?

A: Boats will start filling up at 10 AM on wednesday and will likely depart as quickly as people can get all their gear onboard. But if you’re late I’ll have the destination GPS coordinates available so any later arrivers can launch their fishing boat, load up their gear and find the mooring location out on the lake.

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Q: How many boats can be towed behind the houseboats?

A: 2 – 3 boats can be towed easily and safely.

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Q: Who pilots the boat?

A: Anyone can pilot the boat. According to Bill, owner of RLH, they’re very easy to drive.

Q: Does that person need a Captain’s License, since Rainy is a Federal Waterway, correct?

A: No license is needed.

Q: Does a person need to purchase insurance for the houseboat if the group is going to captain it themselves?

A: Insurance for every person on the trip is included in the $470 cost to attend. No additional insurance is needed.

Q: Where does one get gas for their personal boat?

A: Rainy Lake Houseboats will deliver to your houseboat for a reasonable one time fee if fuel is needed. Any interested in knowing more about this should check out the RLH website.

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Q: Where is a good place to stay if we come in the night before:

A: The Falls Motel in I’falls (Rainy Lake forum sponsor – see their banner) is a inexpensive place to stay.

If you want something a little more upscale, on the water, and with a nice restaurant on site I would recommend Thunderbird. The Thunderbird is also quite close to RLH.

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Q: What are the requirements to fish Canadian waters?

A: If anyone plans to fish Canadian waters you will want to get a RBCP (Remote Border Crossing Pass). You will not NEED to fish Canadian waters at any time during the trip as many, many productive areas are available in MN waters. You will not NEED to cross into Canada to get to the houseboats as the boats are located in MN and the route to our campsites stays within MN waters at all times. There is no NEED to get a Canadian license or the border pass. It is purely optional. I would recommend you discuss the desire to make day trips into Canada with the guys you’ll be fishing with in the small boats and come to a decision regarding the desire to have this option.

At no time will the houseboats be expected to enter into Canadian waters as part of this trip. If everyone on your houseboat has a pass and wants to go tour Canada in a houseboat… knock yourselves out. But it is not part of the plan for this trip.

If you want to apply for the pass online, here’s the link. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/bsf386-eng.pdf

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Note: Attendance at this year’s event is capped at 54 individuals.

Groups and individuals that fished with us in 2009 will have priority when booking a return trip for 2010. The plan is to hold those 30 spots for those that attended in 2009 until January 15, 2010. The remaining 24 spots are up for grabs. Last year all 30 spots available for this trip filled in 6 DAYS! We’ve been giving people notice that this was coming for several weeks now so hopefully everyone is ready.

After January 15th any of the 30 “priority reservation” spots not filled by those that made the 2009 trip will be opened up to other interested parties.

So we’ve got 24 openings starting RIGHT NOW. First come, first served. If you have questions, please contact James Holst.

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Upgrading your trip:

At the end of the 2009 GTG we asked everyone what we could do to make the 2010 GTG on Rainy Lake an ever bigger success and more enjoyable trip.

Here’s the three responses we heard.

1) All individual groups to extend their stay. For many… 5 days just wasn’t long enough.

2) Offer package deals on the Lady of the Lake series Houseboats.

3) Offer discounted guide packages for those that are first time anglers to Rainy that want to shorten their learning curve by hiring a guide.

Here’s what Rainy Lake Houseboats put together for us!

Lady of the Lake Option (6 person minimum):

http://www.rainylakehouseboats.com/fleet/lady.html

6 persons: $785.00/person for the trip.
    8 persons: $595.00/person for the trip.

Extending a trip…

From RLH… if an entire houseboat (not individual) wants to extend their trip, they should contact us directly and we’ll put together a package that fits their needs.

Experienced Rainy Lake Fishing Guides…

Fishing Guides will be $400/day. This includes gas and bait. Each guide will allow 1 follow boat. This way the guide could take care of one houseboat completely for one low price.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Just curious and not sure it could happen with a houseboat, but who’s responsible for damage due to rocks etc hit while running the lake?

Al

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Just curious and not sure it could happen with a houseboat, but who’s responsible for damage due to rocks etc hit while running the lake?

Al

Insurance for all in attendance is included in the price. So… should you schmuck a rock and rip the lower unit(s) clean off the back of the boat… there’s coverage that will keep such an accident from turning this trip to remember into one you’d want to try and forget.

In short… we got ya’ covered.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

James !!!

I AM IN !!!

I will get everything in order toot sweet !!!

One Question…19 foot Ranger a bad choice for fishing out of up there? Is it a better choice to bring a tin boat ?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James !!!

I AM IN !!!

I will get everything in order toot sweet !!!

One Question…19 foot Ranger a bad choice for fishing out of up there? Is it a better choice to bring a tin boat ?

There’s no reason not to bring the fancy boat. There’s nice docks at the main tie up spot and when you’re away from the docks I’ll show everyone how to tie up to the ropes that secure the back end of the houseboats to shore. The fishing boats never touch the shore. We had three glass boats moored off of our houseboat at one time this past trip and things couldn’t have been more secure and safe.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James !!!

I AM IN !!!

PS – darn good news, buddy. Bring a buddy or two and get those deposits out to me ASAP before the spots start to fill up. I know last year I had a 20+ person waiting list that would have taken any open spot on the 2009 trip. I expect we’ll see similar demand this year. Unfortunately we’re still going with a “grow slow” approach so we can be certain that everyone will have a great time out there.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Well then it’s settled !!!

I just talked to Sheds and he said he is in as well !!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Dave, send me a picture of your new baby!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Count me in as well ! Not to often that I can get away from the river but this is well worth it for 5 days

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Get those deposits out to me boys!

Glad to have you back, D. I know it would be hard to pass up a shot at a Dave Markquart bloody mary, eh?!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

IN AGAIN!!!!

Awesome! This is one trip that is hard to even imagine missing. I would bet the majority of the groups that went last year will all be coming again next fall. With a total of 9 houseboats out on the water we could qualify as a formidable navy for a third world country… lol

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I’m in. Cant wait had a blast last year

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

Quote:

IN AGAIN!!!!

Awesome! This is one trip that is hard to even imagine missing. I would bet the majority of the groups that went last year will all be coming again next fall. With a total of 9 houseboats out on the water we could qualify as a formidable navy for a third world country… lol

I’m sure the methane gas you guys alone produced could take out several small countries.

Have fun boys, looks like an amazing trip. I’m trying to convince the wife we need to do this as a family in a year or two.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

you convinced her to marry you…..that there goes to show ANYTHING is possible!

arklite881south

There is NO better way to fish Rainy Lake then parking your floating CONDO in such close Proximity to our trophy fish. Rainy Lake Houseboats runs an outstanding show, and I can vividly remember leading our fleet of houseboats into Voyageurs National Park. I remember all the smack being tossed around on the marine radios between the houseboat captains. I also remember how poor I am at parking these condos. Oh Billy…..You can park mine too!! LOL!! REVERSE….REVERSE!! The energy was evident. Conveyer belts of 20-25 inch walleyes were coming in on many boats along with some freakishly large PIKE!! In all honesty our water temps were much warmer than I would have liked for that time of year, but Rainy Lake in September??? LAY UP!! LOL!! Ok Not a lay up, but Darn Darn Good. Heck even Garver was knocking them down!! I bet eveb BK could land some of these bruisers on his catfish rods. Make no doubt that a temperature drop on this big water would have made the conveyer belts bog down with 26+ fish. My buddy put a nice 28+ in our boat on film in the bright sunshine, and later on that day we were slipping down the slides off the back of the houseboats with a Summer Shandy in hand. If your in to Giant Pike, Walleyes, Smallies and Crappies……. out of cell phone range this is the ticket. Kind of like the BWCA in a floating condo with your Powerboat to fish out of. Billy and I will lead off with some up to date information on the bite as we both will be guiding right up to this event,and should have them cornered. Heck last year Billy was up ahead of us getting coordinates on top of large schools of walleyes. THAT IS SERVICE I TELL YA!! We also have arranged to have some hand picked guides available for hire along with myself to get you boys rocking!! I know personally I will be allowing follow boats for a fee each day in which we will be targeting these bruisers in my personal favorite haunts. This is a awesome deal to absorbe fishing info, rub elbows with other anglers, and experience one of the most fantastic fisheries in the WORLD with your buddies on a Rainy Lake Houseboat.

I’m looking to have 2 boats of my buddies this year, and I know this is tight to get into due to the restrictions on numbers, so best rally your troops!! I’ll be after deposits for my boys asap!!

For those looking to knock down your follow boat spots with me feel free to send a PM. We will be fishing Walleyes, Pike, Slabs and even some Giant Smallies.

Lets roll!!

willhorgan
    USA

Arrrrg Matey Swab the decks! Pirate Guides R Us.

We don’t need no stikin “six pack” License

Prepare for boarding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I just talked with the wife and it looks like I’m in again. I’ll check with Layne later today and see if he’s in again.

arklite881south

Nice!! That new Skeeter of yours is already been dipped in Rainy Gold!! Now with just a little more Get up!! Can’t wait Ben!!

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

Trying to do whatever I can to get up there. I hope to convince the FW that this is an once in a lifetime opportunity that happens every so often…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The first deposits hit my mailbox this weekend and I’m going to strongly urge anyone else that wants in on this trip to “get crackin” and give me a call or shoot me an email if you have any questions. This trip will fill before you know it.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

James,

I know you were in contact with Mike (Whittsend) about our group. The check is supposedly in the mail to you today.. I can’t wait for a great experience with some great guys and great fishermen. Now to make everything right at home… There will be a new Saint Joseph this Christmas at my household and in 2010.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.