Primus
    Weezer
    NOFX
    Bad Religion
    Not necessarily in that order.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Springsteen
    Aerosmith (this pretty much based on Toys in the Attic)
    Skynyrd
    Stones
    Eagles

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I just wanted to thank you guys… My hair may be starting to go, but you really made me feel young today!!!

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Pink Floyd
    Beatles
    Led Zepplin
    Three Dog Night
    Guess Who
    Rare Earth

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I dig Skid Row, too!

jldii

To start with, let me point something out that maybe a few of you are not aware of about the Beatles. It was mentioned that they were only araound for 8 years as a group, but what was not mentioned is the fact that they only did 1 concert tour during that whole time, in 1964. Everything else they did to build their greatness was done in studios. They defined the change that swept this country at a time of drastic change in this countries history.

Now to Brian’s question. I’m old school, and I appreciate the individual musicians talent as well as a bands success.

I’ve only seen Hendrix mentioned once, and I haven’t seen anyone mention Janis Joplin.

Does anyone remember the Charlie Daniels Band? How about The Allman Brothers?

The Birds…This band had the greatest collection of guitarists ever in one group during its time. Clapton, Jeff Beck, as well as Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, who both went on to become famous with Led Zepplin. All these great guitarists played with them at one time or another.

Spirit
    Cream…..Eric Clapton
    Derek and the Dominos…..Eric Clapton
    Steppen Wolf
    Rare Earth
    Alvin Lee and Co.
    Outlaws
    Blood Sweat and Tears
    Mason Prophet
    Wishbone Ash
    Jefferson Airplane (The original, not Airship)
    Grateful Dead
    Golden Earing
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Steve Miller Band
    James Gang

Lastly, if you use gold records as a measure of greatness, the greatest band of all time, and possibly forever, was not a rock and roll band, it was the Motown Studio Band. They have well over a hundred gold records. This was the band that recorded all of the great Motown hits with all the great Motown artists.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Janis Joplin was not rock n roll.

But, if Prince and Madonna can be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame, then I guess anything goes….

My definition. Got to be able to crank it up!! Can’t tell ya how many blown speaker I have gone through. (Just blew another $200 JBL on the new Metallica CD. )

So my list after the Mighty Metallica and AC-DC would go somthing like this:

Guns N’ Roses

Van Halen

Def Leppard

Iron Maiden

Megadeth

Dio

Quie Riot

Motley Crue

Great White

Scorpions

Judas Priest

Dokken

Ratt

Warrant

Twisted Sister

Queensrÿche

Cinderella

Whitesnake

Slaughter

Poison

Night Ranger

Kiss

Winger

-J.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Metallica is truly special. Their S&M CD is incredible. I also have their live S&M concert on DVD. Absolutely a “crank it up” must!

jldii

Sorry Jon, but you are wrong. Janis started off as a blues and folk singer, but she became a rock singer when she joined up with the band “Big Brother”, which was a pychadelic rock band from the Haight Asbury area. It was after they performed at a Montery concert that they became famous.

Quote:

TIME magazine called Joplin “probably the most powerful singer to emerge from the white rock movement,” and Richard Goldstein, in Vogue magazine, wrote that Joplin was “the most staggering leading woman in rock… she slinks like tar, scowls like war… clutching the knees of a final stanza, begging it not to leave… Janis Joplin can sing the chic off any listener.”

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Brings back a lot of memories and bands I’ve nearly forgotten.

Well Jack I see you know your rock n roll, so I guess that just leaves the Vikings for us to argue about.

Which part of the country are you in today?

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

“”””

Quote:

“”””

These groups posted does bring up a lot of old memories.

Forgotten groups..how about?

climax blues band
    Little Feat
    Savoy Brown
    Frank Zappa
    Temptations
    Booker T and the MG’s
    Little Richard
    Jay and the Americans
    cream
    Eric and the animals
    Cate Bros

Problem with a question like the one posted, is to many groups, to many different tastes, the list goes on..:)

Al…anybody remember Billy Lee Riley??

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

AC/DC hands down for me No doubt, lots of good bands in the late 70’s and 80’s

big G

I knew there was a reason I thought you were okay Big G!!! AC/DC all the way… I couldn’t believe it hadn’t been mentioned until your post… Love Floyd also!!

Ted

big_g
    Isle, MN

Joplin… Rock N Roll ??? Listen to Ball and Chain….(a live version)

big G

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Everyone here has listed some great favorites. Many of which I totaly agree.

Some food for thought….

I’ve been lying around alot this week trying to heal up a bad back and a couple of nights ago I couldn’t bring myself to turn from the movie Woodstock. Something about the performances from that festival have always blown me away. It must have been the drugs everyone was on at that time, but there were several performances that were some of the best of all time. Joe Cocker’s is one that definately stands out for me. Also, Crosby, Stills, and Nash in their second ever performance. The Who, Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, and one of my all time favorites from Woodstock, The Band. It just seemed like the artists felt free and performed without holding any feelings back.

Finding one band that fits “The Greatest Rock n Roll Band ever” is imposible. There have been so many that have done so much to change music. One of my favorites has got to be Buddy Holly. In my opinion he may be the one person that really did make rock n roll get off the ground.

The Beetles performance on Ed Sullivan makes me laugh. I always remember my Grandpa telling me about 2 of my Aunts laying on the floor screaming so hystarically that they never heard or seen one lick of them on TV. My Grandpa also muttered something about them boys changing the world as we know it.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Ok I’ve pretty much read this whole thread. And if you want to get down to who was the most influental you got to go back to the blues greats like Muddy Waters. That’s where all those pioneers of the 60’s got the idea. And if they didn’t get it from Muddy they got it from Chuck Berry and Little Richard (who got it from Muddy). 60’s British bands were absolutely nuts about American Blues. Zeppelin, Clapton, The Animals all got their inspiration from The Blues.

dd

jldii

Quote:

Well Jack I see you know your rock n roll, so I guess that just leaves the Vikings for us to argue about.

Whats to argue about? They are a great team. I’ve been telling you that for a long time but you just never believed me!

I notice you haven’t been taking any shots at Chilly or Bevel for a while. Can’t imagine why???

I still have that “I LOVE CHILLY” tee shirt for you to wear when I take you fishing!!

As for where I am, Maple Grove tonite till Saturday then I’m off on the road again. Drove over 11K miles last month, and have over 1000 so far this week. I’ll have another 1600 on top of that Wed. night when I park it for the night.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

Whats to argue about? They are a great team. I’ve been telling you that for a long time but you just never believed me!

I notice you haven’t been taking any shots at Chilly or Bevel for a while. Can’t imagine why???

I still have that “I LOVE CHILLY” tee shirt for you to wear when I take you fishing!!

As for where I am, Maple Grove tonite till Saturday then I’m off on the road again. Drove over 11K miles last month, and have over 1000 so far this week. I’ll have another 1600 on top of that Wed. night when I park it for the night.

I’ve stayed away from the Viking posts this year, kinda like pee’ing against the wind. My feelings about Childress and Bevell haven’t changed at all. Every game they win I just imagine the smile on your face.

Glad to hear the driving is going well, it’s not nearly as easy as people think and only a few can do it. Be safe on the road and Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas.

jldii

I don’t recall seeing anyone mentioning:

Doobie Brothers
    Edgar and Johnny Winters
    Steele Dan
    Poco Harem
    ToTo
    Journey
    Asia

and…..Gary Pucket and the Union Gap!!!

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

Van Halen

jldii

Thanks Steve, That’s a great example of how much rock and roll has its roots in rythym and blues.

I’ll take that over any head banging heavy metal any day!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

AC/DC’s album, Back in Black has sold an estimated 45 million units worldwide(and still counting), making it the highest-selling album by any band and the 2nd highest-selling album in history, behind “Thriller” by Michael Jackson.

big G

Crankbait

One of my most memorable outings was when I got one of those early morning starts…sunrise is a couple hours away and I’m the only vehicle on the road…when “Ace Of Spades” by Motorhead comes on the radio. That tune on that morning woke me up more than any amount of coffee!

After spending one of those dream days on the river when the fish are on an absolute suicidal tear, I’m flipping through the stations on the way home when what else but “Proud Mary” by CCR comes on followed up by “Living After Midnight” by Judas Priest.

Yup, that was a good day.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.