Shore fishing ideas for pools 8-10

• cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

I am looking for help on finding shore fishing for pools 9 and 10 or something in the area. I will be visiting in June. I fished the Miss two years ago but spent most of my time looking for someplace to fish (no boat). Thanks for any help! [email protected]

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Lots of shore fishing on 9 and 10…
    What type of fish are you looking for ? I’ll whip up some locations and post back here later..

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Seems like all of the wingdams along L&D 9 could be fished from shore, and there’s a float there (or at least there was last year) where a lot of good fish get caught.

Another thing you might try is keeping an eye on the trip swap forum, or even posting a “Hey, anyone got a seat on XXX/YYY dates?” message and seeing what you come up with. If most people are like me (and that’s a stretch) they spend a lot of time bobbing in their boat alone becuase they can’t find people interested in going with.

cherilovell

I am open to any type of fishing. When I went two years ago, the only spot we could find for shore fishing was a little area just a ways from Cold Spring (you had to park in a lot and then walk a bit down a path to a concrete area that had a railing around it, we caught some really nice bluegills that day (course, it took us until the last day to find this spot)and there was alot of baby Bass, but that was it. I heard there is a couple different spots where you can get picked up and tooken to a float to fish, but don’t know anything about it (found out about this at the end of the trip).

cherilovell

Thanks for the idea on asking for any space to fish on someones boat.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Stop in at the Falling Rock Bar on Hwy 35 just south of the Lynxville Dam and they will hook you up with the float there..

Also there is a fishing float at the Genoa Dam…There is a parking lot on the east side of HWY 35 right accross from the dam…park there and walk accross the hwy and down to the river..follow the path…there you will find a telephone pole the has a bright colored bucket on it…with the rope, raise the bucket till the boat comes over to get you…

there is a small fee to fish these floats but you usually catch all sorts of fish…

this is just a start, I’ll have more info to follow..

welcome to the site !!

cherilovell

Thank you so much for your time and help. I really want this trip to be much better this year and so any help I can get will be great. Thanks again!!!

cherilovell

I guess another question I have is: is there anything in print that shows/explains what, where, ect on shore fishing or other ideas for Pools 9 and 10(like the Hot Spots maps, web sites, ect). I have the Recreational Boating Guides for those areas but they were not much help at the time. Or is there someplace to stay that offers shore fishing?
    Thanks for any help.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I wish i had the answer your looking for, nut i din’t…I know of no map system that tells where you can fish from shore…I’ll look at my Hot Spots maps but i don’t believe they tell where you can fish from shore..

This website is about the best informational place that i know of..

When June gets a bit closer make sure we get this topic going again and I’ll bring you up to date on the fishing in our area..

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

On another topic…. I noticed your user name is listed as “crapgirl”…I’m curious if that is really correct or if that is a mis-type??? If it is mis-spelled (I’m guessing “crapigirl” or “crappiegirl”) maybe??? Let us know and it can be fixed!! If it’s not a mis-spelling, how did you get such an interesting nick-name?

Thanks,
    Jon J.

cherilovell

Sorry about that, it is suppose to say Carpgirl. Thats what I get for trying to think when your sick and still have to work 12 hours a day. As for how I got the name? I love fishing for carp (besides all the other fish). It’s not that I like the carp – it’s more I would like to bump them off. They are so much fun to try to get them to take the hook and once they do take the hook, they put up such a fight. I find them to be of no value to our waters and so that is another reason I fish them the most/best. The biggest one I have caught so far is 36lbs. Sorry again for the mistake.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Wow 36 pound carp that is big. Do you have any photo’s of those beasts? What do you use to catch those. Steve

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

No apologies needed! I recently came off a 10 day long Robotussen buzz, so I can relate.

There are a few days each summer I actually go looking for carp too. They do put up a good fight. I respect them for that.

Welcome aboard carpgirl.

Jon J.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Heres another idea. In LaCrosse go out to pettibone park on the island between LaCrosse and Lacresent. Go into the park and go to the river and drive to the upper end of the park and you’ll see some roadside parking, park there. Walk up river and you’ll see two wingdams that produce fish, really nice stripers in may and june. Ive had my best catches on the second wingdam up from the car. Its wadeable on the upper side of the wingdam. A good choice is a minnow under a slipbobber and just let it drift over the rocks of the wingdam or wade close to the rocks and set the bobber depth deeper and fish the deeper water on the down current side of the wingdam. I’ve gotten really nice stripers on a number 6 aberdeen hook and the fresh crawfish hatch of the year on the bottom of that wingdam. 6 to a five gallon bucket in size, they love those little crawfish in the spring and minnows and will gorge themselves on them. The upper wingdam is a nice walk, about a block from your car. Just walk the shoreline to the upper wingdam and wade out and throw eighter above the rocks on the wingdam or below it. Its a nice windam to fish. The upper wingdam has rarely failed to produce fish for me, you’ll get some nice sheepies there too. Good luck

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

I recently came off a 10 day long Robotussen buzz,

Ahhhhh… College. What were we talking about again?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I second MossyDan’s post above. Those wingdams have produced for me as well when I first moved to the area. I have also caught some small cats there. Seems to me the first three wingdams from the swimming beach are the best. We just rigged up a worm and sent it to the bottom, worked most everytime. People also fish off the wall at Dresbach for cats, eyes, sheephead, and whatever else comes along. It can get a little crowded there sometimes, but still fun. Trempeleau also has a fishing pier and some shore fishing by the dam. There are also 3 small ponds there to fish for bass and sunnies. Will have to think a little more for a few more places. It has been a few years since I shore fished. Lake Onalaska also has boats for rent by the day or by the hour. Pretty reasonable rates too.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Heres a big tall frosty john, that ought to help you relocate lol, later

cherilovell

Yes Steve, I have some photo’s, have to get them scanned to disk to post them. As for feeding them, corn has worked the best for me. Until this last Sept, I lived on Okauchee Lake (in Waukesha County). I would take a can of corn (they didn’t like the frozen)and spread it as far as it would fly. Then I would take a sling shot and shoot either corn meal dough balls or chick peas out further. Then I’d sit on the edge of the pier with a hook strung with corn (leaving it sit on the bottom and with some more corn poured on top of the hook to hide it even more)and wait. In no less then a half hour, I’d have about ten carp circling the pier. I’d just sit and wait for the biggest one to take the bait and set the hook. It took me most of the first year of fishing for carp (2001)to find just the right pole, line, hooks, ect. That first year, I broke (or I should say the carp did)2 poles, and tried lots of different line. I know have 2 poles that get used only for carp fishing. I have 60lb Power Pro on each of them because all the other line they would break.
    But now, I have to find a different carp spot because I had to move to the city when I got engaged.

cherilovell

Thank you everyone for your ideas, and please keep them coming. I want so much for this years trip to really be a blast.

leinieman

Hey Carpgirl I would be more than willing to scan whatever photo’s you have and send them back to you on a CD. I have a special going on right now for anyone that fishes for carp. (Free) Let me know and if you would like to have some scanned and I’ll PM you my address. Steve

cherilovell

Hey Leinieman, I might take you up on that. Why would you want to do it for free thou? Them disks ain’t cheap.

leinieman

Ok ,I’ll trade ya for a carp fishing lesson. If you want I could scan them and post them. Just write on the back what you want me to say and I’ll put them on and you can post any more information that is needed. Heck everyone on this website would be glad to help you I just got here first Let me know if I can be of assistance.

cherilovell

Leinieman, any help I can get would be great. And I’d be more then happy to share my crap fishing sercets with you any time, cause you know, them fish are alot smarter then people give them credit for.

leinieman

Heads up you got a PM headed your way. Watch for the small blinking envelope. Steve

cherilovell

Well, now that there is only 70 days and counting until I can make it back to the best vacation spot ever, I will start up this question again. I am still looking for ideas for shore fishing (pools 9 and 10). I have the Hot Spot maps of the area and have made some notes, but due to the water changing over the years, looking for back up on the notes I have made. I Also plan on using the floats too. Any ideas and/or help would be great.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

carpgirl:

Two posts above you have that crap thing going on again!!!

Mark

cherilovell

Quote:

carpgirl:

Two posts above you have that crap thing going on again!!!

Mark

This is what happens when you spend the day chasing 10 ADD/ADHD children around – by the time I get on here, my mind is gone.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

carpgirl:

Well it would seem that you are relaxed!!!

Mark

cherilovell

68 days and counting

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

carpgirl:

Both of my parents taught and I just about did. Now I just teach servers in restaurants, members about their club and board members and their role at the club.

Mark

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.