Check Engine 01 GMC

• shaley
    Milford IA

My check engine light came on Friday, unhooked the battery but still is on. Seems to run right and everything looks good and all fluids are full. Anyway to check the code easily or should I make a appointment at the service center?

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Any good auto parts store has code readers you can use.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Go down to a Autoparts store like checker or Auto Zone and have it scaned for free before you go to shop.Could be an easy fix

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

check your gas cap to make sure it is tight

shaley
    Milford IA

Quote:

check your gas cap to make sure it is tight

Forgot about that one, will check it later when I take the kid home.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

If you were at about a half a tank of fuel when it came on that may be the issue. Try filling it back up and be sure the cap is clicked at least 3 times. Will probablly take about 20 miles or so for it to turn off. If that doesnt work, stop at a parts store and use a scanner. Very very simple and will tell you whats wrong

Bassn Dan

It could be the Oxygen sensor. See if kicking it into passing gear to “clean her out” will make the light go out. If that is it, it’s just a temporary “fix” to do this and the light will come on again every so often.

Good luck.

Dan

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I’d also say O2 sensor. I had an intermittent SES light on
    my 99 Suburban that I thought might be the gas cap.
    It ended up being the O2 sensor.

Dan

Batman09
    Michigan

O2 sensor probably.

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

there are at least 2 on that truck and they are about $40.00 give or take.Auto zone will rent you the special socket you need to chance it free of charge..you just give them a deposit and when its returned you get it back..good luck.

shaley
    Milford IA

Well took the gas cap off put it back on and the light went off going to work this morning, if it stays off I’m a happy camper. Only 94K on it it’s like new yet.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.