Its too early for this…

• Don Hanson

Quote:

I thought that’s what you had Dakota for???

Kota did fine, he found the shallow water .

willhorgan
    USA

Bunch of Sissy’s I have gotten 18 inches on my deck in the last ten days and it is supposed to snow more.

Its going to be a long hunting season

Don Hanson

Hey Don, You fall in the pond?

Thought process- and this comes back from the days of infantry training. “Keep weapon dry and safe”.
    Now for the rest of the story. I was back in a remote part of an public hunting area. (as remote as you can get in Dunn co.)AN all wooded, swampy area. I knew that with the latest rains that things could get a little moist .
    I figured that the small ponds a wider parts of the creek may hold some waterfowl.
    First part of the journey went fine. I am finding some great little potholes that later on may hold ducks. My Irish Setter gortex boots are doing fine. water no higher than ankle deep, feet are staying nice and dry.
    I have been in places like this years and years ago. Thats why I pushed on. It was back in the 70’s, I and a small hunting party jumped a similar area. We seen one lone mallard set down behind an area of trees. When we topped the small ridge between us and the pothole, it was covered with mallards. To the point where it looked like one more duck would have a hard time finding a place to set down. WE were close enough to shoot and when we stood up the skies filled with ducks. I swear it looked like something you would see on an old cover of Fur Fish and Game! That flashback was what pushed me on this day.
    Now I am well over 1/2 way through the trip. I know I am going to reach a point where I will either have to cross the creek that runs the whole length of the area or backtrack to the starting point where I crossed earlier. I did not want to backtrack. Now I am at the point of crossing the creek, keeping as dry as possible. The thoguht process was,”well if it is only knee deep, that won’t be too bad)! The first step was over the boots. The second step, I was now standing in water up to my crotch. Hmmm, creek is deeper than I thought! About 3 or 4 more steps in crotch deep water and I am to the other side. Problem now being, the bank is pretty steep. I have to step from the deep water up into water about ankle deep. Can’t put my hands down because I am still holding my weapon above my head.
    Got out of that predictament and although being wet and invigorated, I thought that the worst is over. I continued the trek through swampy terrain. I was headed back to the end of the journey and still had a few areas that may hold ducks. Now I come to the area that when I break out of the brush I will be back on high and dry land. The only problem being- I caome to the last slough I wanted to check for ducks and. The creek forked off and dumps into that slough! Now I am stuck. I can either cross here or backtrack to where I crossed earlier. Ok, It can’t be any deeper than what I already crossed right? I will cross here. Now the creek here or the inlet to the slough was just a little narrower than where I crossed before. What if I stand as close to the deeper part of the creek and do a flatfooted jump? Worst case sceanario is a come up short and land in deep water. I still figured this would be my best option. With my weapon held high above my head, I bounded off my left foot and quickly brought my feet together to stick the landing. I feel the front part of my feet, mostly the toes- hit the shallow water area on the other side. Problem being, the back part, the heel area is not touching solid ground. Yep, I didn’t quite make it. I was right on the edge of the bank and my toes were not solid enough to hold. I slid down the bank into the deepest part of the channel. So know I am laying in the creek,figuring oout the quickest way to escape.
    Needless to say, not one of my better judgement days. On the bright side though, except for a few pieces of duckweed, my weapon stayed dry. Also my hunting vest hasn’t been that clean looking in years!
    Iam going to have to take Pete back to this area!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

That must have been a bit chilly!

Quote:

Iam going to have to take Pete back to this area!

Just say when!

DSchuss

I took advantage of the front coming in Thursday and Friday with an awesome walleye bite here in Menomonie. Big fish 27″. Sounds like Monday could be intesting too! Very little snow here, just cold.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Trumar….

Can you see white this morning?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.