Trailer Bearing Tutorial

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I seem to remember a tutorial on taking care of the bearing in your trailer. I printed it off last year, but I can’t seem to locate it now. Am I crazy?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Just found it on my computer…

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

That was a quick fix.
    Now it is time for the dirty work.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Now it is time for the dirty work.

Not quite yet, but the time is getting close

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Can you repost again so others who haven’t seen it can take a look? I swear i had that on my machine somewhere to repost, but can’t seem to find it right now…

Thanks,

Jami

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

that would be great if it can be reposted as I am going to need to do mine

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I can’t verify the source, so sorry to whoever wrote this for not crediting you. I have a Microsoft Word version with photos. If you want, I can e-mail it to you. Just PM me your e-mail address.

Quote:

Repacking wheel bearings is pretty easy, inexpensive, takes about an hour to do but, it could get messy. Have plenty of rags available.

First, loosen the lug nuts on the wheel you’ll be working on. Breaking free the lug nuts with a hand wrench, while the tire is off the ground, is very difficult to do. Now, jack up that side of the trailer so the wheel is off the ground. Make sure the trailer is supported securely and completely remove the lug nuts and wheel.

Next, remove the bearing buddy or dust cap. Do this by lightly tapping on the outer edge, alternately all the way around the perimeter, using a rubber mallet. Using a metal hammer and wood block also works well.

Now, remove the cotter pin, axle nut and washer. The hub assembly can now slide off the axle. Remember to catch the outside bearing as you slide the hub off the axle. Wipe off and discard old grease. Next, remove the bearing seal on the backside of the hub. Damaging this seal while removing it is unavoidable. Plus, a new seal should be installed anyway and is less than $3. After the seal is removed, remove the inner bearing. Wipe clean all bearings and the inside of the hub of old grease.

Inspect the bearings, race (this is the part in the hub where the bearings ride in) and the axle. ALL parts should be knick and pit-free. If the bearings or race are pitted, buy new ones! If the axle is pitted, it should be polished down to remove any pits or gouges. Steel wool might work well for this.

Axle clean

Bearing race is free from pits and scratches. (I happen to knock out this race from the hub while tapping out the seal. Usually, the race will stay inside the hub)

Packing the bearings with grease the old fashioned way is easy but a little messy. Lay a glob of grease on the palm of one hand. With the bearing in the other hand, push the bottom side of the bearing into the outside edge of the pile of grease in the other hand. Think of it as slicing the pile of grease with the bottom edge of the bearing.

As you do this, new grease will be “packed” into the bearing and old grease will be pushed out of the top of the bearing. Continue packing new grease all the way around the bearing until you see new grease being forced out of the top of the bearing.

Old grease bearing forced out the top of bearing while being “packed” with new grease.

Installing the inside bearing first, spread some grease onto the race and set the packed bearing in.

This photo shows an unpacked bearing for clarity. Pack the bearing first.

Next, align the new seal into the hub and gently tap it in, level with the hub.

The inside bearing is done. Proceed to pack the outer bearing the same way.

Slide the hub assembly onto the axle. Push some grease into the hub housing. Install the outer bearing, washer and axle nut.

Firmly, but not aggressively, torque the axle nut until the bearings “seat” into its race and new grease. Loosen the axle nut only until the cotter pin slot on the axle nut matches up with the cotter pin hole in the axle. The hub should spin somewhat freely now. Make sure you install the cotter pin to hold the axle nut in place. If you forget, the axle nut would loosen and the whole hub and wheel assembly might pass you on the freeway someday.

Reinstall the bearing buddy or dust cap by lightly tapping it into the hub.

Reinstall wheel and you should be good to go, on one side. Now, go do the other hub.

Cost
    Two new seals – $4 to $5
    Grease (Marine wheel bearing)– less than $3

Time ~ 1 hour

ace_hurlburt
    Stillwater MN / Houston Tx

I’ve got a grease that is 100% water proof built with an aluminum comex thickner. It will not wash out!!!!!

715-379-0737

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

was just going to post you have mail but you had already sent it to me! Thanks!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

this is great, I will clean my bearings in a bowl of gas, and dry real well, inspect for damage, then re-pack. Does anyone know if cleaning with gas harms the bearings?

glb
    Twin Cities

Gas will work. A disposable paint brush may work as a parts cleaning brush. The environmental croud would probably be concerned about the disposal of the gas afterward. I’d recommend using the smallest amount feasible.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.