Unusual Visitor (pix)

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I live up in the woods… where the deer, bear, grouse and turkey roam… but today a bit of a unusual sight greeted me when I came to the door to see what my dogs were barking at….. a rooster pheasant in the middle of the woods!?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

then he ran into my sidewalk.. and hesitated… thinking hmmmmmmmmmm look at this! or maybe the title of the pic should be “runners on your mark! Get Set!”

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

GO!!!!

then like a shot from a gun he was OFF!!… fast enough to blur my shot greatly….. (none of these shots were that clear, but this one was terrible cuz he moved soooo fast! it was impressive watching him sprint.. I almost missed him totally! and I only got in one shot then couldnt track him as he was running faster than an eagle flies!!!)

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great pics!!! I’ve been outrun by these things before, but that’s not saying much anymore……

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hey Rivereyes,

Down around my parents place, pheasants actually frequent the woods more than I think most people imagine. The key to the frequency is distance to grassy cover. They venture out for food like all critters do and sometimes………….it puts them in unlikely places……………sometimes frequently.

But pheasants, in general, are somewhat scarce up your way………aren’t they?

customrodfan
    Twin Cities

Great Shots! I saw something that I thought was unusual on New Years Day. We were at the in-laws in Shoreview. I looked out the window and there were 4 rooster phesants just milling around in the back yard. I always thought that they were territorial and would chase another rooster out of the area. These guys were just content to mill around, picking at the bird food that had fallen from the feeder.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

They only fight when its breeding time. Kind of like humans.lol

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

hey Kid… yep…. not many pheasants around here… I hardly ever see them out and about…..

these things on the other hand are all over…. “shot” these today… there were 4 of them……

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

They are like Canada Geese in the fields around Somerset.
    Steve

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Those are some GREAT pics, Ken. I’m a photo nut myself. I was wondering if those were taken with a digitalcamera? I already have a Canon EOS-1 V camera with a couple lens. A 80-200mm Canon len, a Sigma 24-70mm lens with a 1.4x and 2x tele-converters. I desperately want a digital camera also. I see that they have a digital Canon Rebel out now, so I could use my lenses on it. Have you heard any reports on this camera yet and what do you have for cameras? Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Kodak…

This picture included I call “Sunset Doe”. I shot this picture last Fall backroading from Red Wing. When I took the pictures that day I never noticed the growth in the front of the doe. I have seen hunting videos before with a few bucks with the same growth. Not sure of the cause though. Might have ran into a vehicle or maybe even a natural growth. Any feedback on what you guys think causes it?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Rivereyes, I’m a little bit concerned about you. I love the photos, but I’m afraid you’re obsessed! What happened to the inventor of “Vex on a Stick!?”

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yes… I AM using the digital camera… in fact it IS the Digital Rebel from Canon… with the right lens it can produce some real quality shots….

ohhhh and Gianni… dont worry… Im still capable of being the same crazy goofball Ive always been!… Im just laying in the weeds hiding out… but you just wait….

but yeah.. I think some of the problem is these photography boards… geee are they a touchy bunch! they cant take nothing!…. the other day I had some pro write me a personal email saying my shots were “crap”… I laughed… and posted it in their discussion board… man did they roast him!….. but the funny thing was I wasnt offended…. heck everyone has an opinion….. the only thing that bugged me was saying they were “crap” with NO words as to why or how to fix them…. and strangly enough no evidence of his own proficiency…. ! its WAY different then around here… Ive just never run into a group like they have here……….

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Thanks, that’s GREAT to hear!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.