Skunk spray remedy?

• glb
    Twin Cities

Tis the season, apparently, for young German Shepards to meet skunks. At least that is the sister-in-law’s story. Does anyone recall the mixture to eliminate the odor? Thanks.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I did a study on this in organic chemistry in college many years ago, the following is totally serious, no involved!

Over the counter, powdered douche, Massengale (sp) worked best. Mix it up and soak the dog in it, not joking, my vet still uses this ‘secret’ unbeknown to his clients.

Chemically you need to break the sulfur off the carbon molecule back bone, the structure itself is called a mercaptan (sp? been awhile).

Really.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I said mix it up, but you can also just pour the powder on the wet dog and work it in and let it sit for a few minutes, say 5-10 or so until you can’t smell skunk anymore, then rinse the dog good.

On the side of things (you know me), this will not go over well with the gals in your life and make for many guy funny/gal po’d moments. You may also want to keep the dog away from your horny buddies for awhile.

Seriously, try it, when you buy it tell the pharm guy, I promise he/she will get it, better than buying condoms you never used as a teenager.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I carry these ingredients in the back of my truck.
    In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 cup of baking soda
    1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

for very large pets one quart of water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a “rinse and repeat” washing.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes – it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.

After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with water.

NEVER, ever, store mixed solution in a closed bottle, sprayer,etc. Pressure will build up until the container bursts. This can cause severe injury.

jt_fish

I second the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda remedy.

It works, I’ve used it several times. It is amazing.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

And the main ingredients in douche guys without the flowery smell, good work guys!

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

That scares me with what you know….. chemist and pumpkin farmer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.