350A question

• james
    Ankeny Iowa

Did all these unites come with a GPS ready to go ? If not how can you tell if it has one by just looking at it ? Thank You Jim

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

James, the Lowrance 350A is an LMS unit. So they should all have GPS. If you’re looking to buy one and the seller is listing it as “GPS”, that would be correct. Not a bad unit if you can get one.

Good Luck,

Wade

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Make sure you get a the GPS reciever with it if you are buying it as a stand alone unit and not attached to a boat. You won’t get the GPS side of the unit without one. It will run about an additional 175 or so.

I’ve run a LMS 350A for well over ten years now. They are no longer made.

I use mine in my pick-up for icefishing as the GPS instead of a hand held. You need to take it out every night. I have attached the receiver to the roof with the magnetic mount.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

james:

If you are looking at buying one, think about it for a moment. I have had one for the last four years and while I love the thing, I just tried to send it back for repair. They told me that they cannot find the part at less than extreme prices and therefore have asked me to upgrade. I am terribly disappointed, though I have not delved into this situatiuon any further yet as I just received my reply this evening!!!

Mark

james
    Ankeny Iowa

Thanks for the come back guys. I was thinking about getting one But have changed my mind now. It seems I don’t have the room on my dash to mount it like I want and don’t want it looking like it was just thrown in there. I’m glad I thought about the space before I got one. There are two on ebay now. Thanks again Jim

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

James,

I saw the ones one ebay too and I thought the prices were going too high compared to more recent models.

Wade

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

They told me that they cannot find the part at less than extreme prices and therefore have asked me to upgrade.

Mbenson…you have mail.

Wade…you know were I’m going with this. In your experiance, does Lowrance offer a discount to users when thier units are discontinued?

Or is it just a “Thanks for buying and using our product, you’ve got your money’s worth out of it…time to spend more”?

Don’t you wish the 480 was out and shipped to me? Once done…I would have many less questions!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Brian,

Yes, I do wish it were out already, but the fact that it’s not gives you time to get all the info needed to make a good decision for yourself on what unit to get.

On the question of “discounts”, I don’t think so but I’m not 100% sure. I’d call Lowrance to be certain.

HERE is a little info about their service. They do note that parts sometimes become obsolete due to advances in technology. But that makes sense. As a consumer, I’m not sure that’s not fairly reasonable, except I would ask that they keep a supply of these “obsolete parts” around for a certain number of years for guys who need a repair. But, I think this is fairly common when it comes to electronics in general. Out with the old, in with the new…

The best thing for a guy to do when he upgrades is to sell the older unit to a buddy or on ebay, etc. Of course, if the older unit is shot and beyond repair, it’s not going to be very valuable. There are some guys out there who do buy obsolete “repairable” units on ebay and they fix them up themselves. So you can sometimes get a few bucks out of an even older, obsolete unit.

Lowrance Customer Service: 1-800-324-1356

Brian, maybe we can get Vexilar in bed with Garmin, and we can mate the Edge with the GPSMAP 162. We’d have the perfect combo! Well, except maybe cost, but we’ll work on that. Of course, that would become obsolete one day too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.