Need some help

• dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

I just bought a new to me Lund 1600 Explorer SS. It has a Minn Kota Terrova Trolling Motor(non universal sonar model). What do you guys do for a fish locater on the bow? Is it possible to run the transducer cable down the shaft? Thanks for your help.
    Doug

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

Yes, basically correct!

You should be able to puchase a mounting kit from any dealer, Fleet Farm has them, Gander Mtn etc. This will work as a clamp to the bottom of the electric motor. Then run the cable up along the shaft. I have used a wire clamp on the bottom and top before, but wire ties will work also. Then run the cable through your coiled cable of the trolling motor. Be sure to test up and down movement so that there aren’t any kinks, binds or short wires. If you rig it right the cable won’t get caught in the bracket or handles.

Good luck!

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

Pics always help!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Depending on you unit and how you use it, personally I rather liked using an “ice ducer” and just tossing it overboard when I was ready to use the sonar, I did this for about a year with my lowrance 332 on the bow, current had some effect, other than that seemed to work as good if not better in my opinion than running wires down the shaft, I always thought that was a pain and usually you’d break the transducer wire over a couple years of use.

My idea probably doesnt work on every setup, it worked really good on mine.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

I use my Marcum LX-5 as my front locator (helped justify the purchase – can use on ice and in boat) and have a transducer mounted to the bottom of my trolling motor. It does mean an external wire down to the ducer but it works – just need to be a little careful with it. The kit I bought at Gander and it had the mounting brackets and everything I needed.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

And don’t forget to leave enough slack in the tranducer cable to allow the trolling motor to turn all the way around. It won’t take much, but it will need some.

holennet
    Park View, Iowa

I set mine up with the transducer mounted to the trolling motor. I ran my power wires to the starting battery. I was advised if you use the trolling motor battery that may cause interference on your fish finder. Mine works great.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

Thanks guys.
    Doug

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.