Leaders for tip ups??

• JedRock
    LaCrosse, WI

What does everyone think about using leaders when tip up fishing for pike? Yesterday, I was tip up fishing, I had a flag, when I set the hook I felt a good amount of tension on the line, then it went limp. When I retrieved the line, my hook was missing, and there were cuts in the line just above where the hook was. I use 45lb. test braided nylon line, with no leader. I used to fish more in MN, so I had single hooks on my tip ups. Now that I only hold a WI liscense I’m switching to treble hooks. I figured as long as I’m re-rigging my tip ups I might as well put on leaders too, if others find this tactic adviseable.

Also, just wanted to share that a buddy of mine who was fishing with me yesterday caught a 31 inch pike that weighed 8 lbs. It was the biggest pike he’d ever caught, as well as the biggest one I’ve ever seen caught. I think that fish will haunt my dreams for months to come.

Thanks,

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I run the invsi-leaders on my tip-ups in 12lb test. I don’t find it hinders my catch rate any. You could also try and run a chunk of 30lb fireline as a leader.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Jed, I use quick strike rigs when pike fishing, so I have a steel wire leader.

However, most people make a couple of mistakes when if comes to tip-ups and they are:

1) They set the hook to hard

2) They use line without any strech in it

3) The try to pull the fish in to fast

4) Don’t let the fish take line if they need it

Basically, what I am saying is when fishing big fish there has to be some “give”. If your line has no give (like fireline or Dacron) you have to be VERY careful pulling fish in. A fishing rod take A LOT of tension off the line you are using. When using tip-ups there is no shock absorber other then your line or leader. With that said, I use 30 lb ice line with a Flourocarbon leader for walleye and no leader for pike. I encourage clients to pull fish in very slow and give a nice light hook set.

Big hook sets are not needed because all the force given in the hook set is transferred to the fish. When you set the hook with a rod in your hand a lot of the energy is lost to the rod tip. I think if you remember these things you will increase your hooking percentage tremendously.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Great advice from Scott. If you still find yourself losing some fish, check this product out. Tyger Wire. It was introduced to me by the guy, SKPIKE here on the boards, that held the Saskatchewan C&R record for pike a few years back… 54″! He swears by the stuff… never lost a fish using it due to a cut leader. He gave me a supply and I was amazed at how fine and limp this stuff was. Some of the real light stuff felt like a course hair.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.