cash for clunkers?

• jkratky
    Lino Lakes, MN

the inlaws bought a new mini-van in sept (no trade in). the father inlaw has a 91 GMC 1/2 ton. can he still turn it in? and if so where does the credit go? I’m currently driving said vehicle do to unemployment. My lose is his gain, but no big deal.

shughes
    kasson mn.

when you can get it figured out let the rest of us know just sounds like a big cluster f— to me just my 2 cents
    s hughes

big_g
    Isle, MN

They would have to trade it in on a new one now, prior sales do not qualify. Actually, we sold 20 on the deal… 6 have been paid/done deals. Were done now, as we have no new cars left…. just heavy duty trucks. Got to hatch 6 motors on Tuesday…. that sodium silicate, locks em up tight We had a mid 90’s minivan, that hatched in about 10 seconds… a 97 Dakota, went 12 minutes…

big G

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

The seller/dealer has to trash the engine ?? of the clunker ??

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yeah, the engine has to be drained of oil and 2 quarts of sodium silicate added… then start and run at 2000 rpms until she hatchs. The only thing that cannot be re-used is the drivetrain, everything else can be salvaged if wanted. In 6 months, the vehicle has to show being crushed.

big G

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Good program, I just wish they would have put a stipulation that it had to be used to purchase an American made car. I am not a fan of watching taxpayer money go over seas to Japan.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Simple solution is go to a dealer who sells domestic.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

I just wish they would have put a stipulation that it had to be used to purchase an American made car.

I agree with that 100%

I also think that cash for clunkers is another bail out for the auto industry. I really dont know how many more BILLIONS of dollars the auto industry needs. Maybe they should drop the price of thier vehicles and they wouldnt need bail-out funds. Too much greed not enough quality!! IMO

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

I just bought a GM vehicle using the program. Instead of a trade-in value, you get a flat amount – mine was $4500 for a vehicle worth about $2,000 (before a new set of tires, a new battery, and some body work if I hadn’t traded). I also got another $100 off for the salvage value of the rest of the vehicle.

This program provided the extra push to finish an upgrade I had been looking at for many months. IMO it will do a better job of keeping people working than giving billions to companies that turned around and gave bonus money to employees that were running the business into the ground.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

iowegian:

What do you think the car companies are going to do with the $4500 they are getting from the govt. for your clunker?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hopefully reinvest in America…… what do you think will happen to it ??? I know the foreign automakers, send it to Japan….

big G

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Quote:

I also got another $100 off for the salvage value of the rest of the vehicle.

Is this standard for all vehicles traded in for program?

Ted

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Good program, I just wish they would have put a stipulation that it had to be used to purchase an American made car. I am not a fan of watching taxpayer money go over seas to Japan.

The guy who works at the Toyota plant in Kentucky is benefiting from all the Camry’s being sold.

Domestic cars being built in Mexico and Canada.

And don’t forget about all the foreign made components that are assembled on American made vehicles.

The whole theory of buying America isn’t as cut and dry as it used to be.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Kraig, while they are not as “American” made as they used to be, they are way more American made than the foreign ones. Taken from concept, engineering, R & D, parts procurement, W A Y more assy of components, there used to be a number, that they used, if you buy a Big 3 car, you put 5 people to work in America, if foreign, then you are emplying 1/4 (one quarter) of an American to work. I will have to do some digging to see if this has changed. Buying something with more local ties, does help, don’t let anybody tell you different. Look at small town USA, they are dying, because people go to the bigger cities to shop, same concept.

BTW, how much of the $4500 is the guy in the Toyota plant in Kentucky getting, from each one ??? $$$$0.00. (Toyota was/is not going bankrupt, for various reasons, this I won’t get into here) I know the benefit I may receive is, I get to keep my job, which benefits everyone, as I won’t have to go on unemployment and drive up everybodys costs….

big G

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I just wish they would have put a stipulation that it had to be used to purchase an American made car.

I agree with that 100%

I also think that cash for clunkers is another bail out for the auto industry. I really dont know how many more BILLIONS of dollars the auto industry needs. Maybe they should drop the price of thier vehicles and they wouldnt need bail-out funds. Too much greed not enough quality!! IMO

Yeah, we should only worry about bailing out those domestic companies to help protect those union boys even more. Screw all those Americans working for a foreign company. They are illegals anyway.

And really, since the taxpayers are paying for this, we should limit their choice of cars! That is a great idea!

Good theory on lowering the price but GM and Ford are already losing money on each and every car they make. I wonder how that could be…

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Kraig, while they are not as “American” made as they used to be, they are way more American made than the foreign ones. Taken from concept, engineering, R & D, parts procurement, W A Y more assy of components, there used to be a number, that they used, if you buy a Big 3 car, you put 5 people to work in America, if foreign, then you are emplying 1/4 (one quarter) of an American to work. I will have to do some digging to see if this has changed. Buying something with more local ties, does help, don’t let anybody tell you different. Look at small town USA, they are dying, because people go to the bigger cities to shop, same concept.

BTW, how much of the $4500 is the guy in the Toyota plant in Kentucky getting, from each one ??? $$$$0.00. (Toyota was/is not going bankrupt, for various reasons, this I won’t get into here) I know the benefit I may receive is, I get to keep my job, which benefits everyone, as I won’t have to go on unemployment and drive up everybodys costs….

big G

I understand what your saying but what is 1/4 of an American?

They are employed.

They pay taxes and spend money and contribute to the economy.

The times are changing. The big three have found this out the hard way.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Totally agree… like I said, I won’t get into the issues here, but things do need to change. 1/4 of a person refers to having to buy 4 foreign autos to employ 1 american, where 1 domestic car purchase, employs 5 americans. I for one am glad, they came out with this program. The ony thing I wish they would have done is, hold off for a couple months, to release the additional $2B, as we have no cars left….. GM is/will be in the same boat soon. The plant shutdowns are killing us now. We haven’t received a new car/truck here in over 2 months…. typically, we would receive about 20-30 a month

big G

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have very mixed feelings on the entire bailout programs that are popping up like zits on a teenager. I bought a Toyota and don’t regret it one bit. I searched every web site I could find to come up with a reasonable concept of how much on my foriegn car is made in the US. Based on the information i was able to find, I feel my car is more American made than GM. Too bad the the real cost of a car is the worlds’ largest secret. Invoice amounts are a joke because they are inflated to include hold backs, perks, rebates…..

Either way, I hope the auto industry gets back onto its feet soon so guys feel more secure in their jobs and buy / build houses. The trickle effect of the residential housing market and auto industry has such an impact on the rest of our economy…..I just hate to see the day when all the bills come due to be paid for by my children, grandchildren, great grand children…

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

It is a stupid and HORRIBLE program. COMPLETELY idiotic and uneconomical.

Lets spend $3 billion and destroy $1-$1.5 billion of economic value (value of trade ins being destroyed), yeah, that makes sense. If that makes sense, lets tear down some buildings and rebuild them. Maybe we should rip up roads and repave them.

That said-I did it, 2000 Mountaineer became a 2009 Saturn Vue for the Mrs. Obamanomics 101.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

I for one am glad, they came out with this program.

The plant shutdowns are killing us now. We haven’t received a new car/truck here in over 2 months…. typically, we would receive about 20-30 a month

big G

I’m curious…..how do you think this will affect sale in the coming months. Did people who were going to purchase a car in the next year jump on the band wagon ASAP in order to take part in this deal, thus affecting dealers future sales once the program is done? Might car sales slow again once this program is done (and you have replenish stock)?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Good theory on lowering the price but GM and Ford are already losing money on each and every car they make. I wonder how that could be…

Eliminate 1/2 to 3/4 of the luxuries that seem to come standard on the vehicles of today such as power this, automatic that, computerized every thing and self dimming mirrors which are all nice things to have but not needed by many. Build affordable at an affordable price with quality in mind and the ability to make a livable profit and you will have a successful and striving company.

Hey Obama when are you going to start the cash for clunker boat program ? I need a new boat not another over priced clunker

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Eliminate 1/2 to 3/4 of the luxuries that seem to come standard on the vehicles of today such as power this, automatic that, computerized every thing and self dimming mirrors which are all nice things to have but not needed by many. Build affordable at an affordable price with quality in mind and the ability to make a livable profit and you will have a successful and striving company.

Hey Obama when are you going to start the cash for clunker boat program ? I need a new boat not another over priced clunker

Good idea….I think a cash for 2-strokes is in order!!!! Help the environment and save fuel!

Let’s help out the boating industry. Maybe then BRP could pay the money they owe FLW!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good question…. the typical buyer that is buying under the clunker deal, is one who normally would not be buying a new car anyways. Yeah a small percentage may have bought a new car, but most of them are people who would have drove it til the wheels fell off, or would have bought another high mileage used car. What I see it affecting more, is used car values. They will go up. I like this program better than, giving the banks astronomical $$$$’s, so they can go to Club Med and try to figure out where they went wrong… or send their top performers to Vegas for a week with the cash.

big G

chappy
    Hastings, MN

The program doesn’t benifit me what so ever. Not only am I driving an older Bonniville (95 and a 99) I get 29 MPG highway with them! That and I can’t afford a new vehical….Even with a $4500 discount! Some of the cars I’ve seen at the lot’s marked C FOR C and they’re in waaaay better shape than my car! I’d gladly trade mine for one of the clunkers!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

The program doesn’t benifit me what so ever. Not only am I driving an older Bonniville (95 and a 99) I get 29 MPG highway with them! That and I can’t afford a new vehical….Even with a $4500 discount! Some of the cars I’ve seen at the lot’s marked C FOR C and they’re in waaaay better shape than my car! I’d gladly trade mine for one of the clunkers!

Chappy, by definition, yours is not a clunker, needs to get 18mpg or worse. I do believe keeping people employed in this country, benefits everyone….. even you Trading your 29 mpg car for one that gets less than 18, wouldn’t be a smart move.

big G

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Good question…. the typical buyer that is buying under the clunker deal, is one who normally would not be buying a new car anyways. Yeah a small percentage may have bought a new car, but most of them are people who would have drove it til the wheels fell off, or would have bought another high mileage used car. What I see it affecting more, is used car values. They will go up. I like this program better than, giving the banks astronomical $$$$’s, so they can go to Club Med and try to figure out where they went wrong… or send their top performers to Vegas for a week with the cash.

big G

This is why I am against the principal idea of this program. I saw this happen in the 3rd quarter of 1999 through 2001 when the technology industry crashed. With the techs, the big crash scare forced so many companies (globally) to upgrade phone systems, voice mail, ITCS, computer networks. The life expectancy of electronics is about 6 to 7 years. So with this major flood of everyone that would have upgraded gradually over the following 3 to 5 years, upgraded at one point and time. By the 1st quarter of 2001, I had laid off over 60 technicians and eventually lost my job due to no market. The same thing happened in the housing market when the interest rates dropped too much, too fast. Everyone jumped on the band wagon of a new home in hopes of double digit appreciation every year…or refied to such a low interest rate that they wouldn’t consider building a new home.

This will have a negative affect on auto sales in the following months. So many cars were purchased in such a short period of time….Those that didn’t or haven’t bought will be the minority.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Chappy, by definition, yours is not a clunker, needs to get 18mpg or worse. I do believe keeping people employed in this country, benefits everyone….. even you Trading your 29 mpg car for one that gets less than 18, wouldn’t be a smart move.

big G

Really???

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

I think the Cash for Clunkers program is just like every government run program…poorly though out and executed. Why on earth do they require the dealers to kill the clunkers by pouring some abrasive into the crankcase. Instead, they should round up all the turned in clunkers and have one kick a$$ demolition derby!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Now that’s a great idea. Huge demo derby on the salt flats. Use convicts to drive and make it Mad Max style. Pay per view sales would skyrocket. Madden could come out of retirement and do play by play with the teleprompter. I see big potential here for spending stimulus money.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.