New member with a few questions about my boat!

• mickeydim468
    Oregon

Hi guys,

This site is pretty cool, I just found it today and haven’t worked out how to search very well. My search results haven’t netted me any keepers on the following questions yet so I figured I might just as well write down my questions and see if you folks can point me in the right direction. So here goes nothing!

I have a 1974 16′ Fiberform Monterey with a 1998 Force 50Hp motor on it. I would really like to step up to a 4-stroke in the 60 to 70 Hp class. I found 2 used motors for the same price as each other. One is a 1999 Johnson 70Hp 4-stroke and the other is a newer than that, maybe 2002, 60Hp Mercury. Both have electric tilt/trim control and both are at my local dealer for $3995.00. Is this a good deal? Is he hosing me on the price? He said he would install either one and trade me for my old motor with $3500.00 out of my own pocket. Is that a fair deal? If you had to choose between the two motors, which one would you choose? Why?

Thanks guys. Looks like you have a pretty nice forum here. I can’t wait to be able to answer questions like mine for some other folks soon too!

Mikey!

cool

bill mitchell

stay away from the johnson. my good buddy had one same year and hp and he ended up having all kinds of internal engine problems. on a motor with very few hours on it. most of the shops that he talked to said the same thing…my two cents…who knows maybe you could have better luck

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Seems like a lot of $$$ to sink into a 35 year old boat, to me. Personally, I wouldn’t do it, but my nod would go toward the Merc.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

It does seem like a bit much too put toward that old of a boat.

I would check with two dealers who you know you can trust. We have a couple of site sponsors here who are trustworthy boat dealers.

Al’s Specialty Marine 507-282-5532 http://www.alsspecialtymarine.com

Skeeter Boat Center 715-833-2662 http://www.skeeterboatcenter.com

Either of these two dealers will make you an honest deal.

robby
    Quad Cities

You can get a half close idea as to the value of used motors at http://www.nada.com Good luck!

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Well sorry i’m not going to be much help. But I want to be the first to say welcome to idofishing and hope you find all your answers and can answer some of ours.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I can’t answer your question about the deal, but welcome to our site!!!

markmoran
    Rochester MN

Seems like you could get into a deal of about 4 grand and your trade to get a mid 90s boat and motor combo instead of just a motor, but that might not be your 4 stroke.

Welcome!

mickeydim468
    Oregon

Well, Thank you guys for your quick responses and warm welcome! The thing is, I really do love my old Fiberform boat. It is in pretty tip top shape and is a sound hull. I have done a lot of work on it over the past year and it is really shaping up. I traded this same dealer my 2006 14′ portaboat with a 2006 9.9Hp Nissan last June 2008. I gave him $300.00 boot money and I have enjoyed the boat and EZ loader trailer with the Force 50Hp motor all year. We even did firework viewing from right near where they shot them off on the bay for 2 years in a row from in the boat. I just ripped out all of the carpeting and side vinyl and am going to be painting the walls and floor with some marine grade paint with Corothane and I am adding some Shark-Grip Slip resistant additive for the floor surfaces. I already have the outside all buffed out and looking sharp. I like the old style look it has. I also figure that whatever motor I get for it can be put on another hull if I find one I like better than what I have now, but until then, I don’t mind spending the money for a good motor. I would rather have a reliable motor on an old hull than an un-reliable motor on a new hull, so that’s why I am doing it this way. I have kids and can’t afford to go down and buy a new boat. No matter how nice that would be it just can’t happen!

Mikey!

ErikOsberg
    Wadena, MN

Welcome to the site! I hope you find it usefull. I’m not sure if those prices are fair or not, however, I did “repower” my boat last year so I can give you a comparison. I put a used 150 Suzuki 2 stroke on my 1850 TYEE and the shop charged me $2500 all in. I kept my blown up Johnson. Keep in mind though, you’re in the market for a 4 stroke, which are more popular, which demands a higher price. Hope this helps, good luck, and once again, welcome. Make sure to tell a friend about this site.

Erik Osberg

mickeydim468
    Oregon

Thanks for the welcome once again!

I have already told my fishin’ buddy about this site. He came over this morning and I showed it to him. He has a similar boat to mine but he had the money to put a brand new Honda 40Hp 4 stroke on his last year when the motor that came with his hull blew up. This is why I want the 4-stroke. He can go fishing with me and we run all day. My gas tank is empty and his is barley off full and he has outperformed me all day long. I can’t keep up with his boat even though they are similarly loaded. Theoretically my boat should be faster due to the hull shapes. Mine is a V hull and his is weird. It starts out very V shaped and then drops to an almost flat bottom. He pushes far more water than I do. Still, he gets up to 30-31 MPH right away and mine dogs and won’t get to top speed right away, which is about 29 to 30 MPH, but it will eventually get there. I made a Whale Tail out of an old street sign metal that works awesome for pitching the nose up or down with the electric tilt control, and I would put it on my new motor too!

Mikey!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I think way to much for that motor..Check the for sale items here on IDO. Al`s Specialty has a 2004 Yamaha 50 HP four stroke for $3800

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Check your messages I sent you a pm. (look for a little envelope in the upper right hand of the page and click on it)

mickeydim468
    Oregon

OK, I see this guy is asking too much, but where can I find specs on these two motors. Maybe I can talk him down to a reasonable price.

Mikey!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I just did a quick search on ebay to see what your motor might sell for and found a 1996 FORCE / MERCURY 40 HP OUTBOARD MOTOR for $1300 it has 5 bids and 2 days before the auction is finished.

$495 does not seem to be nearly enough money for your 1998 Force 50Hp motor.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.