Beer

• nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Ok Nothing against Catfisherman but a funny story happend while we were fishing last weekend in the freeze your butt tourney. I watched my Partner double up on 30lb cats it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen well after one heck of a battle he landed both of them and after they were in the boat. he looked at me and said can you believe people actually fish for these things. Then looked at me and said god it would be like drinking a cheep beer.
    and you know now that I think of it I don’t know if I would want to be catfishing and drinking beer you guys sure use some nasty stuff for bait. so that nasty beer must not bother you either
    anyways everyone have a cold one for me

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yup, nothing like cutting up suckers, lick’en dem fingers and taken a good swig of the ol’ Cold Spring!

Just doesn’t get better than that!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

You cant beat an ice cold Pfeiffer or a Old Milwaukee long neck. Hamms too. Course these beers are best at 31 degrees.

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Derek you must of had some typos on your last post I think you ment to say the only time those beers are good is after you have had 31 other beers
    LOL………….

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I also forgot to mention they taste much better after you run them through a coffee filter.

Unfortunately thats what us poor high school kids had to drink.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Derek! You guy had it soo easy!

While I was walking two miles to school (yes, up hill both ways) we only had Gluecks and if we were lucky, Red, White and Blue. AND coffee filters weren’t invented yet!

Kids now days just don’t know what tough is!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Derek I polished off many an Old Mil long neck in my younger days. Always had a cold case in the basement. In our prelegal days we were stuck with Buckhorn and Stite.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Buckhorn

?! Ok, I guess he didn’t have it that easy!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You cat fisherman have nothing to worry about when it comes to Nate. Just check out the strange and weird fish pics at the bottom of the message board. After beer all he can catch is ”trolling motors”, forgets what a fish looks like. Now you know why I stick to Diet Pepsi.

Thanks, Bill

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Did I hear cheap beer????? All I have to say to that is…PBR! but only if you like your beer tasting like burnt toast. Oh wait….I’m only 20….whats beer?

Gonna have to vote for Bud Light as the best beer.

Cheers all

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Nate…with Dad’s like that…..

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

No Offense skippy , but you can tell you’re 20 if you say Bud Light is the best beer

Come on up to WISCONSIN and we’ll show you what good beer is all about

GEMEYEGUY

This is grain, which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty, by learning about beer.
    -Friar Tuck (in Robin Hood – Prince of Theives)

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

Test your beer .Place your beer in the freezer for thirty minutes,take your beer out after the time and try to pour .You will taste your best beer of your life or have to wait for your beer popsicle to thaw. My beer (ICEHOUSE)5.5%alc/vol will freeze after an hour ,other 3.2 beers can’t last twenty minutes. good luck

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I can never understand why someone would order an Old Mil or Busch Light at a bar. Come on they all cost the same here.

How about North Star, Olympia, White Label, Stein Haus, Milwaukees Best, Schlitz, Old Style, Pfieffer, Buckhorn, Cold Spring, Red White and Blue for the worst beers of the seveties. But they all went down 25 years ago when you only had two bucks to spend and could find a buddy with two more bucks and just about froze them before you drank em.

Now my favs are Grain Belt Premium (has been for nearly 30 years), several from the Leinies and Schells families, Rolling Rock, Becks, Bass….

When I was in Rochester last week I checked out Whistle Binkies Pub. Great selection of beers. John Courage Amber from Scotland and the Hefweizzen from Washington Sate were very good. I didn’t have time to try a lot more since I was just about living on an ICU floor at St Mary’s for two weeks with a family member.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Whistle Binkies Pub is the coolest !!

My all time fav is a Killians Irish Red in a frosty mug…

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Kevin: Your list was missing one of my uncle’s favorites—
    Fox Deluxe. Now that was skunk for sure.
    Back in the late 60’s – early 70’s we were getting Old Swill and Schmidt at 3 cases for $10 at Ernies in Mendota. Oh , the good old days.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

How about the Mickey’s Big Mouths ? If i remember right they came in an 8 pac bottles about 8-10 oz ?

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Ah, Dinosaur…you mentioned the great Schmidts. We couldn’t go wrong with that this fall at 9.99 for a thirty pack. What a great and cheap way to enjoy an afternoon of football

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Ice cold Mickeys is a great summertime beer.

I can’t believe that we’ve made it this far without discussion of Dubuque Star! Someone told me a year or two ago that the old brewery was converted into a microbrew pub and is now outputting top-notch hooch.

I have not been able to confirm or deny those rumors.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Ok, we’ve gone too far. Mickeys has been mentioned. Someone please lock this thread.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Who thinks green beer looks like pond scum but drinks it anyway (besides me)?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

My all time fav is a Killians Irish Red in a frosty mug…

Had a Newcastle with Briank the other night………purty good. But, as Dave said……………. Killians off the tap into a frosty mug is hard to beat!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Who thinks green beer looks like pond scum but drinks it anyway (besides me)?

I certainly agree. I’ve drank more than my body weight in green beer, and I can’t look into the cup while I’m drinking or I get kinda creeped out!
    Of course, now with my refined palette, I will be drinking Guiness and/or Harp tonight.
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone!

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

The seventies and eighties were very hard times for small breweries. Beer really sucked back then.

Who remembers the Schlitz Light commercials with James Coburn? That was the worst beer ever.

Remember Falstaff Beer? Who recalls GBX? Grain Belts Malt Liguor. Do the still make Schlitz Malt Liquor? They had commerials with bulls running over a liquor store. The Bull.

Hamms was ruined by G Heileman who by the way reuined several beers.

Hamms Prefferred Stock was good. Grain Belt Premium remained good but is better now.

GEMEYEGUY

Ahhh the seventies.
    The decade that brought us BILLY BEER

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

GBX malt liquor was consumed in large quantities by the crowd I hung out with in the early 80’s. We had a refrigerator and tap set up in the garage. There was a poster of the Bull on the door with the tap located in the “appropriate ” place. Pull The Bull was the most popular phrase called out by the partiers.

Anyone been to Pittsburgh and consumed some of the local brew Iron City? This and IC lite are very popular. Back when the Steelers Steel Curtain players were a force in football they were featured on the cans.

Remember the Schmidt animal cans? Ducks , pheasants, deer, moose and of all things , a collie. It was always bad luck to drink a dog. They got thrown into the bonfire.

Gee , I am feeling older as I type this. Time to quit.

Dino

Jira

We talk a lot of fishing here… and some non fishing too.

Someone bring up *MMMM — BEEEER* and it receives over 2300 views and nearly 150 replies!!! LOL It took me 20 minutes to read this thread. hehe

Good work everyone!

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

In reality we dont buy beer , we just rent it .

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.