Sheriff Harrassment

• fredbart
    St. Paul

After a week in Quetico Park I got back to work. The wife heads for her folks and my two teenage boys are off doing whatever they do at this age. I couldn’t stand it so I get the boat out and head to the St. Croix. After hunting and pecking though my usual spots between Stillwater and Hudson I finally found some several nice pods of smallies, with diminishing flow fish were holding tight to the deeper edges of current seams. Fishing tube jigs with a very soft drop on 1/8 jigs was great fun.

Caught a few fish, sucked a brew or two (really- no more than two) I pulled up on a sand bar and put a steak on the portable grill. I cooked it slowly while swimming with the dog, with no utensils the only choice was to eat it right off the grill (as of course real men should do). Heading off and looking around at the nice night I mindlessly drifted into the “No Wake” zone going faster then I should have. I hear this loud siren, look up and it’s the sheriff, recognizing the evils of my ways and knowing I was so busted I killed the motor and just waited for them to motor over.
    >
    So they do the usual safety check and noticed the empties. Yep- mine! Hair is disheveled, shirt unbuttoned, steak grease running down my chin-it was clear they were dealing with a disreputable citizen! So they run a series of sobriety checks (I was sort of chucking as they couldn’t ask me to walk in a straight line being in a 16 ft boat and all) So the sheriff tells me the count backwards from 78 and if I would have any trouble doing this. I explain that I would do the best I could but I couldn’t guarantee a flawless response given that numbers aren’t my best skill given that I have A.D.H.D and my parents homeschooling me in the Appalachians and all. Slight chuckle.

So, I get through it and the guy asks me for my driver license. He takes down the information gives me a warning and quips… “its not often I pull someone over who is older than me”. My only response was that this was clearly “police harassment”. We laughed and I was on my way(but this time slowly).

big_g
    Isle, MN

How was the steak ???? I like that, get off vacation and then nothing to do so you get to go fishing ??? BTW, how can you tell when your on vacation or off ???

big G

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Shouldn’t have admitted to fishing for bass!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Sounds like everyone did what they were supposed to do.

fredbart
    St. Paul

Quetico was cold, north wind kept us bundle pretty good. h

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

I was pulled over coming out of the Bluffs a couple weekends back, wasn’t sure what was up as the County boys and girls were in the lot when I pulled out. I’ll admit fully that I brought 3 beers for the day, a 6 hour day, I enjoyed those when I thought was best (hint, when you have minors in the boat, only stow a few beers, if at all). So anyways, I left the Bluffs and went my way, County boys behind me all the way, me knowing all was cool, twin 7yr old fishermen in the back seat snoozing. Lights come on, I’m going HUH?, Get out of the truck right away (not suggested), and say “What’s Up?”. Turns out Mr.Safety guru forgot to plug his lights in, it was very nice to explain to the kids that the coppers are not always the bad guys. No ticket, plugged the lights in, on my way. That said, to to the Nazi WI patrol that wrote my wife up for running our Lab on the Kinni beach when there was many better things to be writing up…..

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Sounds like the system is working…you didnt mean break the no wake rule and got a warning…passed the field sobriety test and you were on your way…cant blaim em for doing their job and keepin the waters safe…Jay

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Stop waking in the no-wake. God I hate that…

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

We got checked on Long Point last Saturday. Everything was in order, the officers were very polite, even to the point that as they drove off, one of them said “Most of the people we checked today are having the best luck pulling rapalas.” Not only making sure you are legal and safe, but offering suggestions too! I did get a chuckle on that one.

fredbart
    St. Paul

They were great, I just thought the story was fun to write. Mike? You ever inadvertently make a mistake? Maybe go a little faster on the roads then you should? Maybe do a rolling stop at a stop sign? I made a unintentional error and yes other then this time follow no wake rules.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The smiley face indicates sarcasm…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

The name Suzuki indicates sarcasm.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

The name Briank indicates………
    See you at the Naughty Hog tonight???

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

Quote:

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

haha. Stay in the peanut gallery Glen!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That was a great read, turned out good and we can all get a laugh form it

Thanks for sharing

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

haha. Stay in the peanut gallery Glen!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sorry for taking away from a great post (what else is new?)

I’m at the Bluff’s tonight for drawn butter and a side of fish.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Sorry for taking away from a great post (what else is new?)

I’m at the Bluff’s tonight for drawn butter and a side of fish.

I suppose you cant catch your own so you eat the commercial stuff at the restaurant.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

F.Bart that really isn’t harassment. Last time I was on the Croix the DNR checked my weight.

BrianK’s Cousin
    Hastings

Boy, FC, did you leave yourself wide open for harrassment on that line!!!

BTW – did you remember to wish your FM (my FA) a Happy Birthday today?

Scottie61
    Hudson, WI

Hey all,

Was up on Rainy and had my license checked. No big deal, and nice guy with fishing advice, too.

HOWEVER — four years ago me and the family headed to a fast food place to eat on the way to launching down by Red Wing. Right after leaving the launch, my stomach started a-rumbling… know where this is going?

We made the turn out into the river and here come the flashing lights, and by then I’m about to… lose it.

The two guy and one woman patrol dutifully asked friggin’ ALL of the safety questions: fire extinguisher, throwable, etc., and by now I’m hopping around. We FINALLY got away and I had to use the bucket loo that I’d brought for my kids. Picture this — kids in front, wife driving, me in back, ahem, sitting on the bucket. When the three-story tour barge goes by, I just smile and wave…

No fish story.

Scottie

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.