Bucktail Jigs

• zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

I have always wanted to try making my own bucktails so this fall I purchased all the items I thought I would need and set down at the table and got started. The first couple left a lot to be desired, but the more I practiced, the better the end product. I would appreciate any comments about what colors are hot on the Mississippi and whether I am using too much hair, not enough, etc. Attached is a picture of the first batch.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

You made those? Excellent job Zamer.
    You gotta start cranking them out in all black. I also have very good luck with a pink head and white hair. That orange color you got there looks good.

Gator Hunter

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

They look good Zammer. I use them in the winter when they hit slower because i think the more hair you use it slows the fall. I use mainly chartruse and white with the same colored heads. I tip mine with a big minnow to slow the fall even more, Good Lookin jigs!

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Hey Zamer, You could send me some and I’ll let you know what I think. They look pretty good.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t use bucktails….but many years ago I was in to fly tying…big time. Those are great looking bucktails….

Nothing like hooking a good one with something you made!

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Those look great! I like the two-tone hair. I like how you have a different color extending out. I like a black/white combo. I like a red/dark orange collar. Additionally, I think a red or dark orange pupil surrounded by the black is killer. BTW, I agree with the all black, but would add the red/orange eye.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.