Family friendly resort with great fishing???

• whittsend

I’m looking for a “family friendly” resort type of place to take my wife, kids, and possibly some extended family.

Actually it was my wife’s idea, which is all the better. I’m looking for a place in N WI or MN that has the potential for great fishing, but also has things for kids/wifes to do if they aren’t interested in fishing all day. Pool, playground equipment, other activities/entertainment closeby would be necessary. The more things for the kids to do, the better.

I’m thinking of someplace on Mille Lacs (not too far away from me in EC, I have relatives in the cities that could come up for the day, etc…) Any kid-friendly resorts on Mille Lacs that come to mind? I’ve fished the area, but haven’t paid much attention to the other attractions. How about Leech or Winnie, Bemidji, or other lakes?

N WI has lots to do, too, but there are also tons of people up there in the summer, especially on some of the more well known bodies of water. I suppose crowds will be part of it no matter where we go, especially if we are looking for an area with many different things to do for those who don’t want to fish as much.

Any recommendations where a family could go to in part do some serious fishing as well as have a good family experience with lot of different things to do?

Thanks!

Mike

jhalfen

There are some really nice places on Leech. I did a bunch of fishing near this resort, and heard nice things about it from some locals:

Brindleys

whittsend

Quote:

There are some really nice places on Leech. I did a bunch of fishing near this resort, and heard nice things about it from some locals:

Brindleys

Looks like a nice place with lots to do… But there aren’t any fish in Leech, are there????

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

We rebooked with Birch Villa on Cass Lake this year. Nice place, great people, and great fishing. Cass has everything from panfish to Musky, walleye, and northerns.

whittsend

Birch Villa looks very nice as well… Is there much for young kids (next June they will be 3 and 5) to do? Bike trails, hiking paths, etc to keep the wife happy?

Thanks!

Mike

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I don’t know the resorts really well but Hayward Wisconsin has a lot to offer and you can get lost on the flowage where there is great fishing everywhere.

whittsend

What does Lake Pepin have for family-oriented cabins/resorts? Might not be so bad to be closer to the cities, Stillwater, etc. for the family to find stuff to do if they wanted to be off the water.

Red Door 1
    North Shore Mille Lacs in Wealthwood

Hey Mike!

Take a look-see at our Mille Lacs destination. http://www.thereddoorresort.com/About_the_Red_Door_Resort.html

We are only a half our drive to the Brainerd area that offers lots of shopping and places and stuff for the kids/family to go and do. Our guests do the swimimng right off our docks in the lake. Although our beach is rocky, all the water around the dock is nice and sandy. We have a volleyball net IN the lake that is always fun. And a big “water tramp” if conditions allow. For the smaller kids we have a playground with all the options. A basketball court, horseshoes and shuffleboard(being finished next week)too.

Walleye fishing grounds are from right close by to no further than a ten minute boat ride away with muskies and great smallie fishing not much more than a cast away.

So, we would welcome the opportunity to host you and your family! Take a look at our website and please feel free to call our office for more info.

whittsend

Thanks! You are already on my radar.

I have stayed with you a few times in the past for the fall trolling bite. Usually Joe Winter books for us, if you remember that name. Nice place! We will definately keep you in mind!

Thanks again,

Mike

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Treeland Resorts in Hayward has pretty much what you are looking for, as my family stays there every year. Not to start a debate, but I think the fishing would be better in MN though. Just my opinion.

Pal

Stickney

Ruttger’s Bay Lake Lodge about 10 minutes from Mille Lacs.

whittsend

Quote:

Treeland Resorts in Hayward has pretty much what you are looking for, as my family stays there every year. Not to start a debate, but I think the fishing would be better in MN though. Just my opinion.

Pal

I might tend to agree to a point… You can certainly find fish in WI, but I just don’t know the WI waters that well up there. Lots of smaller lakes to figure out vs one big one. Not sure which is better, but there is just something very alluring about a walleye factory such as Mille Lacs.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Whit…if you do end up staying at the Red Door, shoot me a pm. I know a very good fella that will give you some tips on where to go/how to fish for the time of year your going.

Fishing is never guaranteed of course.

whittsend

Quote:

Whit…if you do end up staying at the Red Door, shoot me a pm. I know a very good fella that will give you some tips on where to go/how to fish for the time of year your going.

Fishing is never guaranteed of course.

Especially not when you fish with me….

Awesome, I will keep that in mind!! Thanks!!

Mike

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Rutgers on Lake Bemidji is nice, I stayed there for an FLW league event a couple years ago. They have a nice beach for kids, they had an arcade, restuarant, indoor pool and a bar. The staff was really friendly, the rooms were nice and Bemidji is a good fishing lake.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Birch Haven Resort, on Birch Lake, right in the town of Hackensack. You are 10 miles or so, south of Leech. There are 130+ lakes within a 10 mile radius. The resort is in town and there is a ton of activities in the general area from a kids fishing contest, turtle races in Longville, family stuff in Walker, short road trip to Nisswa for the wife to go shopping.
    Birch lake is full of bass and walleye, let alone a ton of sunnies and crappies. The resort has a great beach and docks. The town is 2-3 blocks away for the kids to get an ice cream or go to the dollar store, let alone a big park/playground 1 block away.
    Yet the difference is that it is quiet at night and you would never know you are in town. The owners are also great and someone is “there” from 5am to 1am.
    You also got the Legion 1 block away which has a great Tuesday Taco night!

I put up a fishing report on the place last mid-July if you do a search.

If you want more information on booking, let me know. These owners have the same hospitality as Dean at Evert’s does!

whittsend

More awesome places to go, from the look of the websites!

That children’s program/activity list from Ruttgers in Bemidji looks awesome. Plenty of stuff to keep the kids busy and happy!!

Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming!!

Mike

adam dungan
    Two Harbors

Sunset Cove on Cass Lake is a nice place. Been going for 11 yrs now. They have an arcade, an indoor pool, small playground area and town is just 3-5 miles. Cass Lake has go carts and I believe there is also a mini golf in town. Bemidji is only a 15-20 minute drive and am sure there is plenty to do there. Wherever you choose to go have a great vacation.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

If you stay at Red Door the kids can go to Paul Bunyan Land:

http://www.paulbunyanland.com

My daughter had a blast there last year. She was 6-years-old at the time.

If you don’t mind the drive to Ottertail County, there are some great family resorts there and great fishing as well.

Shady Graove Resort has a pool for the family, as well as other activities.

http://www.shadygroveresort.com

There’s also a nice little area down the road where the Ottertail River leave the lake. Kids love to play in the water in this area. A few miles south, in Battle Lake there is some of the best ice cream and baked goods on the planet. And the Old Brick Inn has outstanding broasted chicken.

There’s the Phelps Mill Festival each summer.

http://www.phelpsmillfestival.com

Rush lake has good walleye, pike, and bass fishing and also has sunnies and rock bass for the kids.

whittsend

Awesome, thanks for the links!

All suggestions have been great. I have lots of research to do!

This might be getting a little too specific, but are there any resorts on a decent fishing lake that might have cabin rental, tenting options, camper hookups, pets welcome, pool, beach, and lots of kid activities around?

I’m trying to please multiple parties, or at least research options that to make multiple people happy. I have a feeling we will have to make comprimises, but at least I know that going into this. Cabins and kid stuff is really the backbone of what we are looking for, though.

Thanks for the info – keep it coming!!

Mike

chomps
    Sioux City IA

resort option Was looking for a place to go ice fishing which would give us the option to fish Winni and Leech, so I was turned on to this place, have yet to visit, but it looks like a cool place which covers all of your criteria. Heck, fishing may be good enough on this lake so you won’t need to trailer to a different lake!

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Family focused? North Star Lake resort. 25 miles nort’ of Grand Rapids. Took the kids there for a few years. Took one summer off and went to Disney World. Next winter when making plans we asked all 4 of the kids where they’d prefer, Disnay again or North Star. We ended up back at North Star and had another great week. Plus the lake has plenty of fish with some monster smallies….
    http://www.northstarlakeresort.com/

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Just got back from there. They have 2 pools and do different things for the kids.

Oak Haven

whittsend

These all look like great places to vacation, and exactly the info I am looking for.

Keep posting!!

Thanks!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.