Tick?

• francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Can you spray your yard for ticks? I am just looking for added security for the dogs and little ones.

Thanks for any advice.

FDR

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Thanks Jerr! I have only read a portion of it and I am already impressed with the info.

Thanks,

FDR

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Diazinon, menards sell a granule, but I do not know how effective it is I just did my final blood test for Lymes and I swear I got the Tick while eating in a restuarant these little buggers do not waste any time burying in , got bit again this weekend and so did my wife Burnett Wi. is bad this year for ticks. Do the checks and look close they are so small. EDIT by BrianK

jerry b
    western WI

Another solution is to buy yourself some guinea hens. Their favorite snack is ticks, grasshoppers, etc. An added bonus is that there’ll never be a break-in at your house, those little rascals are excellent sentries. On the other hand, your dogs’ll probably be so paranoid that you’ll never get’m outside. Problem solved with the ticks jerr

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Diazinon

Good stuff when it was on the market. It’s been banned for a couple years now.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve still got a gallon of the agricultural diazinone. I have a pump sprayer dedicated for spraying this stuff. I use a shot glass of the chemical, 1/2 cup of liquid dish soap and 2 gallons of water to spray box elder bugs in the fall. This does an amazing job on those pests.

I think the granulated product can still be found but be aware that diazinone in any form has a bad odor.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yes and no Mr. CT…but more Yes than no.

Quote:

Diazinon
    Diazinon has been used on lawns, gardens, agricultural crops and livestock as an insecticide or nematocide (for worms). It has caused nausea, dizziness, burning sensations, headaches, blurred visions, stomach and muscle cramps, twitching, diarrhea, aching joints, disorientation and an inability to concentrate. If there is a major spill, this chemical can cause respiratory paralysis and then death.

Up to 18 million pounds of diazinon were used yearly in the United States until it was banned in December 2000. In 2000, it was the leading cause of acute reactions to insecticides and is still being used to control fire ants in California.

Initially it was phased out, restricted for use or “banned” in homes. This does not mean use had to be stopped. It can still be used as long as you have it stockpiled. Retail sale of diazinon products for indoor uses was permitted until about December 2002. Eventually, it was supposed to be really banned by 2004.

I haven’t downloaded this yet…but I plan on it.

Quote:

You can download a whole book at no charge from http://www.thebestcontrol.com. The book is called “The Bug Stops Here,” by Steve Tvedten. He gives specific information about the various types of pests that can become a challenge in a home.

More info at… SixWise.com<<<

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I will say, Brian, that I only use this spray when its very dry outside and only use it in the fall when those idiot bugs become a nuisance….hence the reason I still have the juice at all. When I am handling the stuff I wear rubber gloves and have it open only when in the driveway, never in a closed area.

If a person ever has a mole problem, all they need do is give the lawn a very light treatment of this stuff and no more moles for at least a year, but then too you won’t have a cent’s worth of insect life in the lawn either including worms. I won’t use it on our lawn because we are close to Cascade Creek. In the fall I spray our south facing block wall to keep the box-bugs in check and never on a surface that can run into any run-off that could get in the creek.

If you wonder why I add the soap, box elder bugs have a natural oil on their shells which helps to keep water and other liquids from getting into the thoractic pores where the bugs breathe. The soap cuts that oil and allows the evil stuff to get in. The bugs croak almost immediately.

guide pit
    SE MN

Quote:

If you wonder why I add the soap, box elder bugs have a natural oil on their shells which helps to keep water and other liquids from getting into the thoractic pores where the bugs breathe. The soap cuts that oil and allows the evil stuff to get in. The bugs croak almost immediately.

I have found that all you need on them box elders is just the soap. I put it in the lawn sprayer and attach to the hose. Spray at the 3 oz per gallon setting and it kills em dead. I’ve read that if the box elder loose that oil, they die regardless. Once I spray them down, I spray a 2nd time a little later and then finally just hose down the area with plain water to remove any residue.

Tony

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Yup they’re out. We found a deer tick crawling on the neighbors two year old when we were out in the pool yesterday.

whittsend

Guinea hens will take care of a lot of them, and probably make a tasty snack in the fall! Fresh eggs, too…

Otherwise, Frontline for the dogs, shaved heads and/or frequent checks for the little ones.

adam dungan
    Two Harbors

Find a commercial pesticide applicator to come and spray your yard. He will have license and insurance to buy the good stuff. I have a small business and spray pesticides to control mosquitos, gnats, ticks, spiders, and other outside insects and the stuff I spray will last about a month and it’s approved by the USDA for indoor use so I am 100% sure it’s okay for the yard and kids and dogs etc. I however am not licensed to spray in Wis. or I would be happy to help you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.