Home Computer Problem

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

A friend was given a computer but cant get on it because its password protected ,other than taking in ,how can one start over on it ? or wipe it out and start over.

Thanks inadvance

yambo
    Texas

Try to boot it up in safe mode and see if you can deal with it.

loshinit420

You can try going into the bios and turn off the required password option.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

unless you know the password, or can find a 3rd party utility to crack it, you’re pretty much SOL. you’ll have to reimage the pc…

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Nah, you can probably reboot into safe mode, use the admin log in, and remove passwords from the account. I think it may depend on the computer, but if you hit f8 a bunch of times right when it’s starting up it should give you the choice to boot into safe mode, then there should be an option to choose “admin” to log in, chances are that doesn’t have a password.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

Quote:

Nah, you can probably reboot into safe mode, use the admin log in, and remove passwords from the account. I think it may depend on the computer, but if you hit f8 a bunch of times right when it’s starting up it should give you the choice to boot into safe mode, then there should be an option to choose “admin” to log in, chances are that doesn’t have a password.

wrong. if it is a 2000 or xp box, and it has passwords enabled, he will still have to provide a local account to login in safe mode. that would be a HUGE security hole if you could just boot into safemode and get right into the pc.

he is going to need to know the admin login, or a login that has administrative rights to fix this.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Get the password from your friend????

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Get the password from your friend????

If it was that easy he would have done it already

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

By default, the administrator login comes with no password. There is a small chance this was never changed. Has he tried logging in with “administrator” and no pass?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

By default, the administrator login comes with no password. There is a small chance this was never changed. Has he tried logging in with “administrator” and no pass?

Exactly what Im saying most people’s computers Ive encountered had passwords for users and not the admin, I was then able to go take the password off the account.

Security risk? sure is, but thats not microsoft’s fault.

Also did you try no password? (my mother called me the other day and asked me her password, I said I didnt think she had one…. she didn’t, thats why everything she guessed was wrong lol )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No Admin password saved my butt once…that and Kootie!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

“Given”? BS! It’s stolen!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Also did you try no password? (my mother called me the other day and asked me her password, I said I didnt think she had one…. she didn’t, thats why everything she guessed was wrong lol )

My wife had this issue too, and she just had to hit the enter key when it aksed for a password and the computer would boot up.

Also like others have said, the administrator usually doesn’t need a password.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Hello? It’s a stolen computer, stop helping him. This post should be deleted!

slayer
    Rochester, MN

This software works like a charm Ophcrack

Download the image and burn the ISO to a disk. Insert the disk into the CD-Rom then boot up. It will decipher all of the user names along with their passwords. Write down the user names and passwords, then power down the pc, take out the CD and power up. Use your newly discovered user names and passwords to break into the pc. Need help, read your PM!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

“Given”? BS! It’s stolen!

If that coment was directed at me or my friend…I find it an insult that you would even say that about a situation you know nothing about !!!!

The computer belong to my nieghbors roommate that moved out on him !! In which he owed rent and my nieghbor held the computer for hopes of getting his roommate to pay him ,its been 6 months and NO hide nor Hair of him , so he gave the puter to our nieghbor to aid him to get back to work..

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Huh. That’s a very complex explanation. Be mad if you want, offended if you must, but your story can only be taken at face value. Having had computers stolen before, I am not going to shy away from something as suspect as what your first post was asking. You have nothing to prove to me, if you know it’s not stolen so be it, just be aware that the problem you have right now, is the same problem every computer thief has to solve when they plug in the wares of their work.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I understand what you may have been thinking BUT if you didnt like the post YOU should have STAYED OUT of it or sent me PM.

I am not mad but just hurt by what you implied ..Those who know me here on IDO I know I am an honest person and would help anybody out if I can..

Enough said now on the post, the problem was resolved!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day Dan

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.