Truck Milage Question

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

07 Silverado crew cab 4×4 with 5.3/3.73 rear end, active fuel management system( v-8 down to v-4 on hiway-no load). I can get 18-20 on highway not towing, 13-14 city. Just went to Canada pulling a 1750 Fishhawk with full gas tank, loaded down truck box,2 people in truck and got 15.6 on hiway,partial headwind, 14.5 with straight on head wind.
    Barely felt the boat back there.

I would agree with this as I have the same truck and close t othe same boat, I do get just a little better city though(15.3)

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71 with the 5.7 350, I get around 15 to maybe 17 highway, 11-12 towing. One thing that I found that makes a huge difference is if I keep the RPM’s at 2000 or lower. On a trip to the pond from Rochester (around 190 miles) pulling my boat I use to drive 65 to 70 mph and easily burn up a tank of gas. Now I lock in the cruise control at 55 and still have a half a tank when I get to the pound and it only adds on an extra half hour to get there if that.

yambo
    Texas

I drive a 99 Chevy CK 1/2 ton 4×4,eats alot of gas but pulls my 17ft deep v Tracker just fine.If you gotta pull a boat youre gonna burn fuel,make more money or fish less,I think the choice is clear,we are certainly not going to fish less now are we ?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

make more money or fish less,I think the choice is clear,we are certainly not going to fish less now are we ?

HECK NO!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Speaking of variances from one to another, this was not a truck, but we had a customer with a couple years old mini-van that swore he was getting 34+ mpg… this was just recently, it typically got around 23-25, this is the norm……anyways, he had a noise, coming from under the hood, after he shut it off… we could hear it everytime, we searched and searched and the tech found a vacuum line, for the NVLD (emissions stuff) pinched and it was not getting enough air or something and would always be sucking air, hence the little noise…. we fixed the small black hose and the noise was gone…. so was the 34+ mpg….. He’s now kinda sorry we fixed it…

big G

Damn Mechanics, they cost you money coming and going.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Speaking of variances from one to another, this was not a truck, but we had a customer with a couple years old mini-van that swore he was getting 34+ mpg… this was just recently, it typically got around 23-25, this is the norm……anyways, he had a noise, coming from under the hood, after he shut it off… we could hear it everytime, we searched and searched and the tech found a vacuum line, for the NVLD (emissions stuff) pinched and it was not getting enough air or something and would always be sucking air, hence the little noise…. we fixed the small black hose and the noise was gone…. so was the 34+ mpg….. He’s now kinda sorry we fixed it…

big G

Damn Mechanics, they cost you money coming and going.

I’m thinking that one would get “un-fixed” in a hurry.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

2007 Silverado 3500 4×4 with 6.0 gas. 13 mpg towing. I don’t baby the gas pedal….

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I liked the initial question because he specified speed. Just saying highway mileage does not provide enough info to quantify. I have an 06 Vortec Max LQ9 6.0. Slightly different engine than offered in 2500 or HD. Some differnt internals and higher horse. My best mileage is a tick over 18 on summer gas going no faster than 60 mph with an empty vehicle. I used to get 19.5 consistently under those conditions before I added the topper. With expressway speeds 65 and over it just tanks to low teens. This is all with premium gas. I’m sure it would be slightly lower with regular.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I recently switched to synthetic oil and have gained a full 1 mile per gallon on mileage also. Next will be a better air filter and possibly a computer adjustment. Maybe dual exhaust also??

Sad part, my 2008 gets 16.3. My mom’s 2009 get’s 21mpg. Same truck/conditions(traveling across western mn at the speed limit, 60mph).

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

2006 Chevy 2500HD crew-cab with the turned up 6.6 265/75/16 tires w/40K miles gets about 17mpg empty normal driving conditions and around 13.5 with a big load on the back of her. It’s not the best mileage but you will never hear me complain because there is SO MUCH POWER there when I need it. The six speed allison tranny is AMAZING. I have never been so in love with a truck in my life and sometimes I wonder if some of these mpg’s that people come up with are a bit of a stretch

A few years back I had a 97 Chevy 1500 with the 5.7 that got 9mpg’s with the boat hooked up. I really liked that truck, but the mileage was not very good!!

The way I look at it, I save money during the week driving my car that get’s 27mpg. I am not thinking about fuel on the weekends when it is my time to forget about everything else. We had probably better enjoy the fuel mileage we get because I am going to guess that the electric pick-ups that they they would like us to drive are not going to be near as fun

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I have an 06 F250 6.0 dsl. 20-21 in town, 25 to 27 HWY (72MPH or less) Once I hit 72 the MPG goes in the crapper. Pulling a decent load she get 18 to 20 on the HWY a bit less in town. After switching to DSL I’ll never go back to gas. Especially now that I live in FL. Even with the higher prices it was almost a wash from my old 1500.

You have the most fuel efficient truck on the planet. Don’t sell it. Most guys with that same 6.0 DSL, my own personal experiences included, would be pressed to see 18 – 19 on the HWY unloaded holding a steady 62 MPH. Crank it up to 75 and mileage will drop. Towing brings 12 – 14 MPG with that Ford 6.0 DSL… with an “average” load. Hitch up to something big and it will drop a little more.

I do agree with you about the dsl trucks though… I much prefer the dsl over the gas trucks.

James I agree with you 100%. I have a 05 F350 with the 6.0 diesel. With the truck empty, no headwind, pure freeway driving at 70 mph, it will top out at 18.5 mpg. With my Crestliner Sportfish 1850 I get 13. Pulling a 25 ft gooseneck weighing 15k I get 9. I am always on the lookout for a wonder truck that gets 20+. Read about lots of them. Heard about lots of them. Just never seen one for myself…

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

I have an 06 F250 6.0 dsl. 20-21 in town, 25 to 27 HWY (72MPH or less) Once I hit 72 the MPG goes in the crapper. Pulling a decent load she get 18 to 20 on the HWY a bit less in town. After switching to DSL I’ll never go back to gas. Especially now that I live in FL. Even with the higher prices it was almost a wash from my old 1500.

That some GREAT mileage, don’t see that as the norm or very often on most trucks. So, I assume you may have the 44 gallon tank and you have gotten close to 1100 miles out of that tank? I can only assume this is a 6 speed 2×4?

I have an 03′ 2500 Ram 4×4 CTD 4 Door on 35″ tires and at 70-75mph I will be around 17-18 mpg. 60-65 mph around 18.18.5 mpg. At 50-55mph I can get around 22 mpg.

Towing an CL Sportfish 1850 at 70 mph I get around 15 mpg.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.