Need help deciding on new truck.

• jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

It is time to trade in the old f-150 and I need some expert advice here. I really dont have my mind made up on brand yet, but I am leaning toward chevy/gmc, then dodge, and last on the list is ford. Im just tired of the non-existant gas mileage im getting out of my 01 F-150 5.4 liter.

The years in my price range are 04-06.

Im looking for pros/cons of the chevy/gmc versus the dodge, gas mileage in particular of the v-8’s. Ill be towing a 16 ft. lund so I dont need tons of power.

Anyone own either of these trucks in the 04-06 range?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have a 2002 Ram. I am not a big gear head or anything, but I wanted a reliable truck and I got one. I checked out the reliability ratings before purchasing and the Ram fell just short of the Tundra that was tops. That was enough for me and I am happy with my purchase. If you go Ram, get the bigger tires. They don’t look gaudy and seem to fit the truck better than the smaller rims. I really like the unique look of Rams.

And look. It comes with great lighting.

Just think, if you are ever unfortunate to collide with a deer, you can bring it to the butcher without stopping.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

What is the gas mileage that you had with your previous F-150? I have an ’04 f-150 and get about 16 consistently driving, with or without my boat. What are the main features that will make you determine one verses another?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Gas mileage has obviously gotten better on the F-150. I get 17 – 18 consistently in every day driving with my 2009 with the 5.4L, and get up to 22 on the highway if I keep it at 60 mph. Going 75 on the interstate takes me down to around 19. Can’t really help you on the years you are looking for though.

jerad

I am getting 12-14.

“What are the main features that will make you determine one verses another?”

gas mileage, ride, style, roominess of cab (want the quad)

Mocha
    Park Rapids

We, my partners and I, purchased 3 brand new 2006 GMC 1/2 tons 4×4 in Nov. of 06. Thought we got a real good deal. We have had 3 major power train issues one with each truck. The first was under 36,000 miles and was taken care of by warrantee, the 100k warrantee did not start until the 07’s.. The second two were under 60,000 miles and came out of our pocket. Talked to GMC and it was like talking to a someone that could care less about our situation. I have never had a power train issue under 100,000 miles before on any truck I have ever owned. We get 17-18 mpg and the ride is OK but we will never buy GMC again. When it happened to all three trucks under 60k it sure tells us what not to buy the next time around…..maybe this fall. Took a test ride in the new Ford f-150, sweet ride! Anyone want to buy several 06 GMCs?

jerad

this is the type of stuff I want to hear, thanks.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

I’ve been buying chevy since 98 witn no problems just bought a 09 LTZ chevy makes a great truck just my opion good luck in your search

jerry b
    western WI

My old 93 Chev 6.5 turbo diesel has 174k on it. I’ve had few issues since warranty. Mostly routine stuff. My ’01 Dodge dually, on the other hand has been a real challenge. With under 65k, I’m on tranny #2, new computer, injector pump, lift pump and about 1 summer’s worth of headache getting all ths stuff fixed. With what I hear about the new ones, I’d not be buying one of them either. jerr

revermann
    Rice, MN

I drive an 06 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L. When I drive in town I get 12-13 MPG and I get the same when I pull my boat which is a Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk. If I am on the open road without towing something I will get 18-20 MPG. I know if I stay off the gas I can get about 15 MPG in town, but that rarely happens.
    Hope this helps.

a1a

How you drive will have a bigger impact on your milage than what you drive. Took me years to figure that out, but I’m happy with the results.

Having said that, I just saw a rating on a standard cab Chev with the 5.3 and a 5 speed manual, with 4×4, and it supposed to get right around 25 mpg. Personally, I’ve owned just about every kind of truck made, including an old Jeep J10 I that hands down would stomp the life out of any truck ever made in a toughness contest, and I can tell you my GM trucks have gotten the best fuel economy, Ford second, and Dodge dead last. BUT, if I required a tough truck for say farming or lots of heavy pulling, or on looks alone, I would buy a Dodge.

One last thing, if you wait a few more years Obama is promising that every truck in the US will have to get 30 mpg…of course this takes place AFTER the next election in 2012…kinda just like all his promises.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Gas mileage has obviously gotten better on the F-150. I get 17 – 18 consistently in every day driving with my 2009 with the 5.4L, and get up to 22 on the highway if I keep it at 60 mph. Going 75 on the interstate takes me down to around 19. Can’t really help you on the years you are looking for though.

x2 with an 2008 3.73 rear end and 5.4L

It’s funny just in another post the guy was saying the same thing about an older Chevy. I’m guessing they all are getting better when it comes to Gas. Although, I had a 97 & 99 Ford with the 5.4 and I got better then that???

Just my $.02.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would agree with, how you drive, will affect your mileage more than the truck/gears/engine. I would venture to say, give me a gallon of gas, in any of the 3 brands being compared, with the newer trucks and I will go 20 miles on a gallon…. no doubt, the newer more efficient engines, will get you better mileage and horsepower. Don’t compare a 2001 Ford F150 to a 2005 GMC…. Have fun with your purchase

big G

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

’01 GMC ext cab with Lund ProV 1660 12-13 MPG pulling 15-16 without boat. Replaced cat converter, fuel pump, EGR, Intake, Rotors, Fuel pressure reg…not cheap fixes, some warranty. Tranny is the weirdest shifting tranny ever but still going at 135,000 knock on wood.

Buddy has an ’02 GMC replaced 2 trannies, power windows, intake…etc same mileage as mine.

Only problem with buddies Ford is when you do a tune up the spark plug threads pull out…yikes!
    I am leaning towards a Ford since they are still running there own business and not the gov! I just don’t want a new truck payment in this job market. You really can’t go wrong with either with warranties and discounts. Thanks for thinking American only

Let us know what you get.

Ferny.

jerad

Quote:

Don’t compare a 2001 Ford F150 to a 2005 GMC…. Have fun with your purchase

big G

Im just trying to compare the truck brands/models that Im looking at purchasing. I know anything will be better than my current truck.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I sure don’t have the power in my Explorer that you guys have in your trucks but I’m not sure if I should feel better about my gad mileage after reading this or not. I have an ’04 explorer with the 4.0L and here are my numbers:

16-17 average daily drive
    18-20 highway (best was 22 interstate LaCrosse to Madison)
    11-12 towing Alumacraft Nav. 175T

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

I have a 05 F-150 and the mileage has be ok on mine, whats weird about mine is sometimes it feels like it has lots of power and some times it feels slugish. Overall has been a great truck no problems what so ever.

yambo
    Texas

I’m keeping my 99 Chevy,last model year with metal front and back bumpers (real bumpers !)Not impressed at all with all the new disposible plastic trucks out there…JMO.

huskerdu

Have had a 2009 F-150 4 door w/6.5 box since January.
    Milage is getting better and better about 18.1MPG currently on paper empty @ 70+ highway and 15-16 in town 16 to 17 w/20′ Ranger in tow and as fast as you whant to go. I only have 4K miles on the new truck. I still drive my 97 F-150 w/4.6 3-door(225K on truck) to work and average around 17MPG empty and 13-14 @ 65 MPH w/boat.
    The reason I went with a Ford was the 6.5′ box and being able to fit 4 large kennels in the box the 4 door 1/2 tons from Chev and Dodge have no truck box size.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.