Canada might have something here?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

As of September 15, 2009 all boaters will be required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft.

Safe Boating Rules & Regulations

Q. Why do boaters now need to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

A. Recreational boating is a favourite pastime in Canada with between seven and nine million people enjoying Canadian waterways each year. Sadly, not every boating excursion is a return trip: Over 200 boating fatalities occur each year along with an estimated 6,000 non-fatal accidents – most of them preventable. The general public and pleasure boaters had expressed concern that anyone of any age could operate a watercraft without having any prior boating experience. The Pleasure Craft Operator Card regulations are an attempt to reduce the number of boating related accidents & fatalities. The goal of the program is to encourage boaters to evaluate their capabilities and limits, to prepare themselves adequately before heading out, and to be responsible on the water.

Q. Who needs the Pleasure Craft Operator Card and when?

A. All operators of powered watercraft used for recreational purposes within Canada will eventually require the card.The following three groups of boaters require the card IMMEDIATELY:

* All operators of any powered watercraft under 4m in length (13.1ft)

* All operators of PWC’s (i.e.: sea-doos and jet skis)

* All operators of any powered watercraft born after April 1, 1983

As of September 15, 2009 all boaters will be required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft. There is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all boaters. Powered watercraft includes watercraft fitted with any size motor – even a trolling motor.

The Poll Questions was cut off. The question is.

The US or at least MN should require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Playing devils advocate…..I’m not so sure I’m sold on the idea. A little training & education never hurts anybody but I’d certainly like to hear more details on this subject. How do you obtain the card – Classroom instruction & field testing or send check/money order along with application to PO BOX dot dot dot…..your card will be mailed 6 to 8 weeks.
    How long is the card valid for? How much $?

As for statistical data and SAFETY ~ take a peak at the auto industry. Here’s a link for your viewing pleasure.
    Car Accidents. Are driver education classes & renewal programs working to reduce the # of auto accidents?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

One of many sites offering on-line and classroom instruction.<<<<

I didn’t check them all out. $49. seems to be the going rate.

I’m not personally thrilled with more regulation, however there are some out there (like I was) that hop into a boat on the river without a clue of wing dams, navigational markers ect…thingsbbb that really could lead to disaster.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

While I like the idea of training of boaters, I do not think that it will answer all of the problems though.
    Drivers Licenses
    Snowmobile safety
    Firearms safety
    Motorcycle endorsements
    All of those and we still have issues with accidents. Granted thought anything is better than nothing.

Ron

tonyplut
    Burnsville/Mille Lacs

Sounds like a new revenue stream for big brother.

Why would you want this in MN?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Personally I lean towards Sliders view…

Quote:

Why would you want this in MN?

You’re right, can’t fix stupid.

What does a person need to travel 70 mph down the river in a <insert cigar boat, fishing boat, cruiser ect here>? The cash to buy it which doesn’t inclued common sense.

bts
    Centuria, Wi.

More regulations and cost to sportsmen, yeah, that’s what we need.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I find it interesting the number of people voting yes……I guess not everyone has had enough government shoved down there throats yet
    If it does happen I pray it stays in Minnesota

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

The US or at least MN should require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft.

You are right Bret, I shouldn’t have singled out MN…

The US or at least your state should require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft.

roth1995

It appears this law is mainly for Canadian residents. As I read the instructions, non-residents of Canada only need the card if they operate their boat in Canadian waters for 45 consecutive days. Thus the yearly week long trip to Canada should be exempt from this law. Of course, I could be reading this wrong.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Im all for it. More boats on the water nowadays. Higher powered boats. Some of these boats travel faster than cars on the freeway. I hope the life it saves is mine. Some of these people are nuts on the river and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better on its own.

Why do you think Canada started with boats under 13′ for this card? I would think bigger boats would be of more concern.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

As much as I despise big goverment, I was on pool 4 all weekend and I cannot believe the way people drive their boats. I didnt fish the head of the river this weekend but the guys that did definatly know what im talking about. Pleasure boating is great and all but these people need to give fishing boats more room. I think the bigger the toy smaller the brain really applies to pool 4. The lake is great during the week but weekends are so busy.

herb
    6ft under

Just my personal opinion here, but if any of you think this boating course/card crap is going to take stupid off the water, you’re pissing up a mighty long rope.
    It’s just another way somebody in government figuired out to get more coins in the coffers.
    Period.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

It appears this law is mainly for Canadian residents.

US citizens visiting Canada will not be effected.

The fella I was fishing with is from Canada. He felt is was a great idea as he’s learned somethings studying for the exam. One that I can remember is why a person should cross the safety chains when toeing a trailer.

Pool 4 was mentioned above. Pool 4 really doesn’t compare to the St Croix (Stillwater South)….

However I’m not sure as Herb sait that a exam would fix that kind of problem.

Maybe if we could charge $1 for the exam and there were ten instructions…all the same~

1. YOU are responsible for your wake.
    2. YOU are responsible for your wake.
    3. YOU are responsible for your wake.

ect…

yambo
    Texas

Training for personal watercraft(jet ski and such)is a good idea but I think to require another card to operate a boat is wrong.We are already regulated to death for everything we do in this country , leave my fishing alone please !Last thing I need to do is spend another 50 bucks to enjoy my sport.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I voted yes and I’m not afraid to say so. We need boater’s licenses like we do driver’s licenses. I wonder how many boaters have even read regulations, let alone know what a right of way means. Will it prevent accidents? Some. Will it make for more safer and respectful drivers? Some. Some is a lot better than the status quo.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I voted yes only because I’ve seen too many close calls during the week of/after the 4th. People are absolutley INSANE!!! No clue of boating etiquette, what carnage their wake is causing, following skiers, skiing feet from docks, driving too close. I won’t pull the kids skiing anymore because I don’t want to risk their safety. Maybe if some of these people were clued in it might help. Yea I know there are some that will remain clueless and are beyond help but some of these people who take Grandpa boat out for a spin a couple times a year might benefit from some education.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.